The Portable Beat Reader by Ann Charters

The Portable Beat Reader (1992)

by Ann Charters (Editor)

Other authors: Amiri Baraka (Contributor), Ray Bremser (Contributor), Charles Bukowski (Contributor), William S. Burroughs (Contributor), William S. Burroughs, Jr. (Contributor)32 more, Neal Cassady (Contributor), Gregory Corso (Contributor), Diane DiPrima (Contributor), Bob Dylan (Contributor), William Everson (Contributor), Lawrence Ferlinghetti (Contributor), Brenda Frazer (Contributor), Allen Ginsberg (Contributor), Brion Gysin (Contributor), John Clellon Homles (Contributor), Herbert Huncke (Contributor), Joyce Johnson (Contributor), Hettie Jones (Contributor), Bob Kaufman (Contributor), Jack Kerouac (Contributor), Ken Kesey (Contributor), Tuli Kupferberg (Contributor), Philip Lamantia (Author), Norman Mailer (Contributor), Michael McClure (Contributor), Jack Micheline (Contributor), Frank O'Hara (Contributor), Peter Orlovsky (Contributor), Kenneth Rexroth (Contributor), Ed Sanders (Contributor), Gary Snyder (Contributor), Carl Solomon (Contributor), Anne Walman (Contributor), Alan W. Watts (Contributor), Lew Welch (Contributor), Philip Whalen (Contributor), John Wieners (Contributor)

1,19369,718 (3.98)12

A really nice sampling of “beat” literature! Sort of like a greatest hits compilation! Parts 1-3 were full of writings that I love, and that were wonderful to revisit! I especially enjoyed reading the "Joan Anderson" piece! Part 4 fell pretty flat for me, as did part 6 and the appendix. But Part 5 was my joy! The writings in it gave me the feeling of the people on the periphery of the Beats - the children, lovers, spouses, etc.! I really glorify and romanticize many of the Beat authors and literature, and this section grounded me a bit, showing some of the real consequences of that lifestyle and movement. Strong stuff. And strong book! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Dec 19, 2017 |
very enjoyable but too much poetry for me. ( )
  mahallett | Jul 31, 2015 |
So you have been sitting around the house wondering what to do? Smoking some reefer and listening to jazz? Then must be just about time for you to flip through The Portable Beat Reader. It gives you a good glimpse at all the usual subjects: Burroughs, Kerouac, Ginsberg, etal...and also may give you a glimpse into some you may not have known: DiPrima, Corso, Casady. Overall you would be much better served by picking up some favorite pieces by the ones you enjoy, but half the fun in life is picking up on something you have never read before and digging it. There can be no better place for an introduction to beat writing of any sort than right here...Now go throw on your Bud Powell record and use that LP cover for something besides storing an album. Groovy ( )
  DavenportsDream | Apr 30, 2009 |
I don't know if I've fully read all the different authors in here. I just love Beat writing. What more can I say?
There's a great tribute to Neal Cassidy in here, written by Charles Bukowski. ( )
  smiler7700 | Oct 10, 2007 |
This is a good smorgasbord of beat lit. For people who want a good overview, you will find it here. As with any anthology there are some people whose inclusion is questionable, but that just gives more grist for the mill. ( )
  Arctic-Stranger | Sep 12, 2007 |

Whalen, PhilipContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wieners, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
We were so many,
We were working as one,
We were miles of moiling wheat
In a sizzling summer's heat.
But now we are scattered
And flung far apart,
But you and I still live as one
Through coals in the heart.
And if anything is left
Of the coal in the soul,
Oh, flash it to me.

--Ed Sanders, "Keeping the Issues Alive" (Song)
THIS BOOK IS DEDICATED

TO MY DAUGHTERS

MALLAY AND NORA
[Introduction] Earlier in the history of American literature, the novelist Henry James acknowledged in his biography of Nathaniel Hawthorne that "the best things come, as a general thing, from the talents that are members of a group; every man works better when he has companions working in the same line, and yielding the stimulus of suggestion, comparison, emulation."
The poet Gary Snyder once joked there was no Beat Generation - it consisted of only three or four people, and four people don't make up a generation.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140151028, Paperback)

The Portable Beat Reader is an excellent and thorough study of the Beat Generation, compiled and edited by Ann Charters, biographer of Jack Kerouac and one of our most notable experts on Beat literature and ideas. This lively work of scholarship goes deeply into the history of the Beat movement, investigating events such as the discovery (by writer William Burroughs) of the word beat to describe this literary generation. The reader includes essays on all the major prose and poetry writers, such as Allen Ginsberg, and offers rare insight into the literary-historical context of the movement.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible