Good Poems by Garrison Keillor

Good Poems (2002)

by Garrison Keillor

This was a book I discovered in High School when I was trying to mature my taste in poetry. Anthologies are almost always the best way to grow in taste when it comes to new types of reading. I loved it then and there are still parts of it I still love now, however, not as much as I once did. Narrative Poetry for me has become tired and I yearn for more contemporary and challenging pieces. Still, this is a wonderful collection for anyone who loves easy going and lovely poetry. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
I love this collection of poems compiled by Garrison Keillor. It is divided into categories, such as: music, scenes, lovers, day's work, and sons and daughters, to name a few. He has both contemporary and classic poets, and various types of poems. ( )
  Lynchd | Jul 20, 2015 |
An interesting division of poems, although at times the poems within the section didn't quite reflect the respective section title.

An anthology containing some poems I couldn't relate to, some good poems and some beautiful poems, outstanding in their simplicity and imagery, such as "When one has lived a long time alone" by Galway Kinnell (echoed with mysticism); "Rain Travel" by WS Merwin (vivid imagery of lying awake listening to the night time rain) and "The Peace of Wild Things" by Wendell Berry (expressing a deeply spiritual communion with nature) were particular favourites.

A nice addition to my poetry collection. ( )
  JudyCroome | May 27, 2015 |
An enjoyable collection ( )
  dgregoryburns | Jan 3, 2015 |
Read from August 05 to 22, 2011

I didn't love every poem, but I understand why Keillor chose these few. Amazing.

Favorites:
"Her Door" by Mary Leader
"Poem to Be Read at 3 A.M." by Donald Justice
"He Wishes for the Clothes of Heaven" by W.B. Yeats
"Sonnet" by C.B. Trail
"The Three Goals" by David Budbill

And many, many more...Read these poems. They are good.

Reading Progress
08/22/2011 page 476 100.0% ""These are days we live as if death were nowhere in the background; from joy to joy to joy...""
08/17/2011 page 295 62.0% ""anything anything but these.""
08/15/2011 page 235 49.0% ""The Truth must dazzle gradually Or every man be blind--""
08/10/2011 page 131 28.0% ""whoever spoke first would lose something, that was the stupid unspoken rule."" ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 8, 2013 |
Lord Whoever, thank you for this air / I'm about to in- and exhale, this hutch / in the woods, the wood for fire, / the light—both lamp and the natural stuff / of leaf-back, fern, and wing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142003441, Paperback)

Every day people tune in to The Writer's Almanac on public radio and hear Garrison Keillor read them a poem. And here, for the first time, is an anthology of poems from the show, chosen by Keillor for their wit, their frankness, their passion, their "utter clarity in the face of everything else a person has to deal with at 7 a.m."

Good Poems includes verse about lovers, children, failure, everyday life, death, and transcendance. It features the work of classic poets, such as Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, and Robert Frost, as well as the work of contemporary greats such as Howard Nemerov, Charles Bukowski, Donald Hall, Billy Collins, Robert Bly, and Sharon Olds. It's a book of poems for anybody who loves poetry whether they know it or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

A collection of 294 poems, chosen and introduced by Garrison Keillor, host of National Public Radio's "The Writer's Almanac," including selections from classic and contemporary poets, grouped by topic.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible