Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned…

It's Kind of a Funny Story (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ned Vizzini

Member:fromthecomfychair
Title:It's Kind of a Funny Story
Authors:Ned Vizzini
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ya lit, depression, suicide, high school, psychiatric hospital, humor

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (2006)

Book > Movie. In a million ways.
I wish there was a way to bring this wonderful man back to life.
But even so, I don't think anything would be better.
RIP Ned Vizzini. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Book > Movie. In a million ways.
I wish there was a way to bring this wonderful man back to life.
But even so, I don't think anything would be better.
RIP Ned Vizzini. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
This book is a very easy and quick read, but is very interesting and entertaining. I really love the author's "voice" in the story. 5Q5P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this to high school students and adults. I chose to read this book because my friend recommended it to me. BreeK
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
I saw the movie adaptation of this book a while back and was unimpressed, so I was expecting the book to be similarly disappointing. Luckily, I was wrong. It wasn't the easiest book to get into at first, though. And I wasn't that big of a fan of the way the book was set-up in parts--at least with regards to the first few parts of it. There was also some mild slut-shaming in it, but there wasn't so much that it ruined the book for me.

The main character and his situation were so easy to relate to. Vizzini's explanations of depression, anxiety, and suicidal ideation were so spot on that it was almost scary. I wish that this book or one like it had existed when I was a teenager because I think it definitely would have made things a lot easier.

It is a quirky, funny story, but it also is a really deep story. It's got some really sad moments, and if you make it through without crying, then you're doing better than I did. The only reason that it took me 3 days to read this book is that I ended up crying so much while reading it.

This is probably the most realistic work of fiction that I've ever seen for what it is like to have a mental illness and what it's like to have to spend time in a psychiatric unit. It's really wonderful and worthwhile. I would recommend this to anyone who has a history of mental illness and to friends of people with mental illnesses, because it explains what the mentally ill deal with on a day-to-day basis. Even though it is meant for a young adult audience, the way it's written makes it feel appropriate for adults as well. ( )
  janersm | Jul 1, 2014 |
Craig Gilner is a 15 year old depressed boy. Not very uncommon for our society. He has all the symptoms of it, he doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, and likes to just waste time. Some days are better than others, and he thinks he got "the shift" which means that his brain has shifted into the right place and he'll be happy again. It all just goes down hill again though. He does have friends, but all they do is smoke and throw parties, and Craig does like that sometimes, but it doesn't make him happy. And he has a nice and caring family but nothing really helps him get better. He has always had the option to kill himself, but has never done it. He always knew he could resort to that, and at one point he does. What makes it worse is that his best friend got together with the girl of his dreams, and he thinks he deserves Nia more than Aaron (his friend) does.
One night he gets worse then usual and decides to try and go to the Brooklyn Bridge to throw himself off of it and kill himself. He says he loves his family and goes in his mothers room to go to sleep. After he can't sleep, he wastes time, and wakes up to go ride his bike to the bridge. He decides to call the local suicide hotline, and they send him to the nearest hospital. Which then he checks in to the mental ward. He meets people, patients. workers, and a specific girl he likes, even more then Nia. One day Nia comes along, right after her and Aaron broke up, so naturally Craig was happy that Nia was free, but he doesn't know whether he like Nia or Noelle (the girl he meti n the hospital.) So he come to a conclusion that Noelle is more like him and likable, but Nia eventually gets back together with Aaron.
In the end Craig goes and switches schools (that what all the stress caused) and lives a much happier life while keeping in touch with Noelle, Aaron, and Nia. I do not admire how happy this book ends. It just doesn't seem as real as it could possibly be. Other than that, it was a very nice and inspiring book. ( )
  br14masp | May 29, 2014 |
"Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review

"A book about depression that's not the least bit depressing."
added by Awesomeness1 | editTeen Vogue

"Funny...[Vizzini] supplies personal insights and a clever, self-deprecating tone that make the book and entertaining read."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Washingston Post

"The wise, witty narrator and sensitive handling of a hot topic should win over older teens- and their parents"
added by Awesomeness1 | editPeople Magazine

"It's terrific: funny, incisive, disarming."
added by Awesomeness1 | editNew York Magazine

To my mom. You knew you'd get one sooner or later, and seeing as they're so hard to do, I figured we'd better make it sooner. I love you.
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078685197X, Paperback)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:39 -0400)

A humorous account of a New York City teenager's battle with depression and his time spent in a psychiatric hospital.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible