It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned…

It's Kind of a Funny Story (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ned Vizzini

Member:jurai2
Title:It's Kind of a Funny Story
Authors:Ned Vizzini
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:audio books, Your library
Rating:*****

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (2006)

Ned Vizzini said that 85% of this book was true. Stayed five days in Methodist Hospital, Brooklyn 11/29/04 - 12/3/04. Wrote book 12/10/04 - 1/6/05. ( )
  TallReads | Jan 21, 2016 |
“Everybody has problems. Some people just hide their crap better than others.”

Craig Gilner is a fifteen-year-old Brooklynite who’s spent the past year waiting for “The Shift” to take place. Up until a year ago he wasn’t an insomniac, could hold down more than four bites of food, didn’t break out in cold sweats, could finish his sentences, and didn’t have cycling thoughts about committing suicide.

Through a series of events, Craig finds himself in the adult wing of the local psychiatric hospital where he meets a slew of different patients. Although each has a different version of events leading up to their admittance, they’re each attempting to cope with life. A semi-autobiographical coming-of-age novel, the postscript mentioned the following:

“Ned Vizzini spent five days in adult psychiatric in Methodist Hospital, Park Slope, Brooklyn, 11/29/04-12/3/04. Ned wrote this 12/10/04-1/6/05.”

Something that sticks in my mind is that Vizzini was only a couple of years older than me. Ironically, he lost his battle with depression and committed suicide in December of 2013, nine years after he was hospitalized. It’s a really sobering thought. It’s also why the last paragraph of the book seems so sad. He obviously really wanted to live, and saw himself thriving on into the future. It doesn't elude me that this book had similarities to Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, also semi-autobiographical, and much like Vizzini's life, hers ended much too early. ( )
  dreamydress48 | Dec 31, 2015 |
I really liked this book. He was very believable and you could genuinely connect with his situation. The other characters in the hospital were very interesting and created contrast between the diversity of lifestyles. Also the creation of the maps were creative and really gave him hope which made for a great ending. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
What I love about this book is the realness and truth in it. Ned Vizzini wrote about such honest things that every teenager(including myself) can relate to in life, such as pressure - pressure from school, peer pressure, pressure created out of their own mentality. When I was reading it, I kept thinking, my thoughts exactly! Though not the extreme depression and suicide part. Believe it or not, I felt really terrible for Craig when he had to live in the mental hospital. It felt like I was leaving the real world behind and was being forced to live with weird people from then on without a real cause. And one thing that is extremely out of my comfort zone is mental people, no offence. I just like things sane and rational, things that ground me to earth. I guess Vizzini's just really good at putting the readers in the character's shoes. Oh, but the characters in the story are very lovely, each one unique in their own ways. I'm really glad I read it :)

On a side note, I'm really sad that the author passed away last December. May he rest in peace :'( ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
"Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review

"A book about depression that's not the least bit depressing."
added by Awesomeness1 | editTeen Vogue

"Funny...[Vizzini] supplies personal insights and a clever, self-deprecating tone that make the book and entertaining read."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Washingston Post

"The wise, witty narrator and sensitive handling of a hot topic should win over older teens- and their parents"
added by Awesomeness1 | editPeople Magazine

"It's terrific: funny, incisive, disarming."
added by Awesomeness1 | editNew York Magazine

To my mom. You knew you'd get one sooner or later, and seeing as they're so hard to do, I figured we'd better make it sooner. I love you.
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078685197X, Paperback)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:28 -0400)

A humorous account of a New York City teenager's battle with depression and his time spent in a psychiatric hospital.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible