It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned…

It's Kind of a Funny Story (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ned Vizzini

1,568None4,649 (4.01)44
Member:jurai2
Title:It's Kind of a Funny Story
Authors:Ned Vizzini
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:audio books, Your library
Rating:*****

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (2006)

Liked it! Would I recommend it to a teen? Definitely. Although from a parent point of view, in my head I kept telling/yelling at Craig to change schools to relieve the stress. And then completely off the limb, I kept wondering why his food issues still held out when he smoked pot. Aren't you supposed to get the munchies after that?

Anyway, it really makes you wonder about the level of pressure that teens put on themselves and how it affects them. I was pleased that his parents were mostly aware and not completely oblivious to his struggles. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 14, 2014 |
Craig is a 15 year old boy who suffers from clinical depression due to the crippling stress of his prestigious NYC high school. One night, after Craig comes dangerously close to taking his own life, he checks himself into a mental ward to recover. "It's Kind of a Funny Story" is an honest, funny and poignant look into depression and the kinds of stress that face today's teens. I loved this book because in spite of the dark subject, the affirmation of life and humor was truly uplifting. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 8, 2014 |
At first I didn't like this book. Then I got really interested and wanted to find out what happened. The topic of suicide is experienced through the eyes of young Craig as he contemplates jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. But his heart wins over his head & he checks himself into a psychiatric ward and the five days of his stay and beginning of his recovery are told as a narrative. It seemed very sad but realistic and surprisingly includes a lot of humor. I liked the approach, the writing is well done and the ending is good. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 6, 2014 |
I really liked this book. He was very believable and you could genuinely connect with his situation. The other characters in the hospital were very interesting and created contrast between the diversity of lifestyles. Also the creation of the maps were creative and really gave him hope which made for a great ending. ( )
  bethie-paige | Jan 29, 2014 |
Read on January 12, 2014

There's a lot of pressure on teens to be the best at everything...pretty, smart, thin, athletic. In this novel, Craig puts a lot of pressure on himself, so much so that he ends up admitting himself to his neighborhood psychiatric facility. Once there we meet an interesting cast of characters that all are there to heal themselves but also end up helping Craig. The ending felt inauthentic, after only five days Craig feels the Shift. But part of what brought on his recent suicidal thoughts would have been his suddenly not taking his prescription. Is five days enough time for that to properly balance him? I'm not sure.

But despite that, there's a very real message here: you can change your situation. You can manage the craziness of life. And no matter what: live. ( )
  melissarochelle | Jan 13, 2014 |
"Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review

"A book about depression that's not the least bit depressing."
added by Awesomeness1 | editTeen Vogue

"Funny...[Vizzini] supplies personal insights and a clever, self-deprecating tone that make the book and entertaining read."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Washingston Post

"The wise, witty narrator and sensitive handling of a hot topic should win over older teens- and their parents"
added by Awesomeness1 | editPeople Magazine

"It's terrific: funny, incisive, disarming."
added by Awesomeness1 | editNew York Magazine

To my mom. You knew you'd get one sooner or later, and seeing as they're so hard to do, I figured we'd better make it sooner. I love you.
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078685197X, Paperback)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:39 -0400)

A humorous account of a New York City teenager's battle with depression and his time spent in a psychiatric hospital.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible