It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned…

It's Kind of a Funny Story (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ned Vizzini

Member:jurai2
Title:It's Kind of a Funny Story
Authors:Ned Vizzini
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:audio books, Your library
Rating:*****

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (2006)

What I love about this book is the realness and truth in it. Ned Vizzini wrote about such honest things that every teenager(including myself) can relate to in life, such as pressure - pressure from school, peer pressure, pressure created out of their own mentality. When I was reading it, I kept thinking, my thoughts exactly! Though not the extreme depression and suicide part. Believe it or not, I felt really terrible for Craig when he had to live in the mental hospital. It felt like I was leaving the real world behind and was being forced to live with weird people from then on without a real cause. And one thing that is extremely out of my comfort zone is mental people, no offence. I just like things sane and rational, things that ground me to earth. I guess Vizzini's just really good at putting the readers in the character's shoes. Oh, but the characters in the story are very lovely, each one unique in their own ways. I'm really glad I read it :)

On a side note, I'm really sad that the author passed away last December. May he rest in peace :'( ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
Being a psychology major at the time that I read this, it really helped me to enjoy the book to its full extent. Every aspect of this book was intriguing, which is probably why I was able to finish it so quickly.

The author's account of the psychiatric unit in the hospital was very interesting. It's nice to be able to read about things like that through a patient's perspective.

I loved that he was able to meet so many interesting characters. Those characters pulled the book together. They gave Craif the ability to fight his battle with depression. And it was probably best that he was put with the adults instead of being surrounded by people his own age. Older individuals tend to be more knowledgeable and I think that Craig was able to gain a lot of insight from them.

He became more accepting, not just of others, but of himself. I would highly recommend this book, not just to psychology majors, but to everyone in general. You don't have to be a psych major in order to enjoy this book. You just need to read it. ( )
  Wonderland_Books | May 2, 2015 |
This book really hit home for me. Like a lot of teenagers, when I was 15, I was suicidal as fuck. One time, I had the shotgun out of the closet. Loaded it. Put it up to my mouth. Then, I heard the front door open. My mom got home. Shit. So, I put the gun back, and pretended that nothing was wrong.

This book is about 15 year old Craig, who is much more depressed than I ever was. In fact, he's probably schizophrenic, because he hears voices and shit. He thinks about jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, but instead, he goes home and calls the suicide hotline.

They tell him to go to the hospital. Just check in at the emergency room, and tell them you're fucking suicidal. So, he does. And he gets sent to the adult mental ward, because the children's ward is being renovated, or some shit. They get him back on his meds, and he starts feeling a wee bit better.

The problem I have with this book, is the first half is completely worthless. It's just Craig whining like a little bitch. Awww. School is hard. People don't like me. OMG, I got a 93% on a test. My life is over. Jesus fucking christ, man. Get over yourself.

The book doesn't really get interesting until he checks himself into the mental ward. Then, all the crazy characters come out to play. And, for some reason, all the girls want to fuck him. I mean, seriously. The girls in the ward want to fuck him. The girls from school suddenly want to fuck him. What the fuck?

There's nothing fuckable about this guy. He's just some random fucked-up teenager. Okay, he does get more interesting when he starts doing his drawings. He gets all sensitive and shit. Hell, I kind of wanted to fuck him during that part of the story.

And, by the way, it's not a funny story at all. Not in the slightest. If anything, it's depressing as fuck. Well, until near the end, when he finally gets some inspiration to actually change his life. Then it at least gets hopeful. But funny? It was never funny. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
Raw, honest, hilarious, heartbreaking & hopeful. I loved it. It just became one of my all time favorite YA books. ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
Could't finish it. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
"Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review

"A book about depression that's not the least bit depressing."
added by Awesomeness1 | editTeen Vogue

"Funny...[Vizzini] supplies personal insights and a clever, self-deprecating tone that make the book and entertaining read."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Washingston Post

"The wise, witty narrator and sensitive handling of a hot topic should win over older teens- and their parents"
added by Awesomeness1 | editPeople Magazine

"It's terrific: funny, incisive, disarming."
added by Awesomeness1 | editNew York Magazine

To my mom. You knew you'd get one sooner or later, and seeing as they're so hard to do, I figured we'd better make it sooner. I love you.
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078685197X, Paperback)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:28 -0400)

A humorous account of a New York City teenager's battle with depression and his time spent in a psychiatric hospital.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,012,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible