It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned…

It's Kind of a Funny Story (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ned Vizzini

Member:jurai2
Title:It's Kind of a Funny Story
Authors:Ned Vizzini
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:audio books, Your library
Rating:*****

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, kvn016, Mediana, beserene, Starla83, singedelespace, Likuo

An important book. Excellent, funny, and warm treatment of clinical depression and suicide and mental illness in teens. Some sex and drugs -- probably appropriate for 8th grade and up. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |
The main character is easy to relate to and the story is easy to follow. It gradually captures a reader's interest. ( )
  AlphaHikar | Dec 7, 2014 |
Book > Movie. In a million ways.
I wish there was a way to bring this wonderful man back to life.
But even so, I don't think anything would be better.
RIP Ned Vizzini. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Book > Movie. In a million ways.
I wish there was a way to bring this wonderful man back to life.
But even so, I don't think anything would be better.
RIP Ned Vizzini. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
This book is a very easy and quick read, but is very interesting and entertaining. I really love the author's "voice" in the story. 5Q5P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this to high school students and adults. I chose to read this book because my friend recommended it to me. BreeK
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
"Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review

"A book about depression that's not the least bit depressing."
added by Awesomeness1 | editTeen Vogue

"Funny...[Vizzini] supplies personal insights and a clever, self-deprecating tone that make the book and entertaining read."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Washingston Post

"The wise, witty narrator and sensitive handling of a hot topic should win over older teens- and their parents"
added by Awesomeness1 | editPeople Magazine

"It's terrific: funny, incisive, disarming."
added by Awesomeness1 | editNew York Magazine

To my mom. You knew you'd get one sooner or later, and seeing as they're so hard to do, I figured we'd better make it sooner. I love you.
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078685197X, Paperback)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:39 -0400)

A humorous account of a New York City teenager's battle with depression and his time spent in a psychiatric hospital.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,488,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible