It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned…

It's Kind of a Funny Story (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ned Vizzini

2,1021023,133 (4)46
Member:jurai2
Title:It's Kind of a Funny Story
Authors:Ned Vizzini
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:audio books, Your library
Rating:*****

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (2006)

This book's been on my radar for the longest time (I love a good mental health novel) and HOORAY, it was so worth the wait! First of all, let me say that it's quite refreshing to read one of these stories from the perspective of an average guy; not a painfully innocent or shy boy, or a kooky girl, but a regular, testosterone-driven, vaguely worldly fifteen year-old who likes video games, pot and jerking off. Craig's description of his five days in a mental hospital, which he checks himself into after a long battle with depression and a night of suicidal crisis - is not only pithy, warm and very realistic (it is drawn from Vizzini's own experiences), it is also, as the title suggest, really kind of funny. It's filled with wonderful characters and it's possibly the most relatable mental health novel I've read yet; I've scrawled so many notes and hearts and stars in the margin to mark passages to go back to next time I need to feel that I'm not alone and that other people have had the same weird thoughts as I'm having. I also watched the movie adaptation, which is quite faithful to the book and put a big smile on my face by the time the credits rolled. Highly recommended! ( )
  elliepotten | Apr 1, 2016 |
If you enjoyed the Perks of Being A Wallflower, It's kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini is the perfect book for you. Though the basis of the novel is a sad story of a boy who struggles with depression, it embraces so many topics and ideas and motifs that shine through the novel. It proves that theres strength in numbers and that every cloud has a silver lining. I extremely enjoyed this book and all of its ups and downs and I can easily say that it is one of the best books i've ever read. ( )
  pdenatale17 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I don't know if this is due to the book being aimed at young adults or not, but although I enjoyed this novel, it felt as if it made the experience of mental illness too easy. In the story, the main character is struggling emotionally, checks himself into a mental health clinic, and by the end of his short time there, he is happy again. I felt like this minimized the pain of mental illness and the often long-term, ongoing struggle that many people experience.

With that said, however, the characters that Vizzini introduces in this story are entertaining, the story is well-written and altogether enjoyable.
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
Let me start by saying I saw the movie before reading. And I loved it! That means that I started reading this book expecting certain feelings to come forth as it did when watching the movie and unfortunatly it didn't come. I liked the book, I even saw some aspect of myself in it that I thought I alone did it, but it's not as profound as I took it for. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Review was originally posted at Tina, The Bookworm

This book could best be described by the following quote:

"Everybody has problems. Some people are just hide their crap better than others."

I've literally written this review a million times because I don't know how to phrase everything I want to say about this book. One thing is for sure, it is kind of a funny story. And it is also a realistic (in certain aspects) about what many people go through with any mental illness. It is not something one can simply get over it is something that needs time, patience, and most importantly support.

It's kind of a funny story is told in Craig's point of view, he explains how he got to the place he's in. He busts his ass to get into one of the top high schools in his city. I mean the kid studies day and night LITERALLY. Then when he gets in, he let's go a bit, the pressure isn't so much he can relax he makes a couple friends Aaron and Nia. Aaron didn't have to study for the test that is required to get into this awesome school, he kicked back did drugs and relaxed while Craig studied ALL THE TIME. Once Craig gets to Executive Pre-Professional High School he realizes that what he thinks was the hardest part (getting in) was in fact the easiest and staying in Executive Pre-Professional High School is the hardest part. He has a ton of homework, a ton of activities he has to be apart of and a bunch of other requirements that MAKE MY HEAD HURT.

And he just snaps and lands into this depression from all the anxiety and these thoughts of "if I don't do this assignment I'm going to fail and failing means I won't be in Executive Pre-Professional High School and then I won't be the President and then I'll be homeless." literally this is how his thinking was a couple times. I understood it because I have cracked under pressure. You've heard me mention that I am an overachiever. So when I was in college (I had to drop out) I use to take 7 classes a semester plus working almost full time, pregnant and with two little ones. YEAH I'M NUTS I KNOW! Did I crack under pressure DAMN RIGHT I DID. And I understood what it feels like to have all those thoughts of this happens then that happens and then that happens. I didn't fall into a depression but I did understand and I was able to connect to Craig on that level.

What I really liked about the book:
I really liked Craig's voice. I mean I think I say this all the time but I'd really saw myself being friends with him, like an actual friend not like the other stupid girls in the book. He seemed to be someone who I could see myself hanging out with.

I also liked how it didn't just deal with depression it dealt with other mental illnesses as well. It also broke my whole idea of what a mental ward looks like it. I mean I use to picture like the ones in a scary movie and after reading this book I realize I was so wrong and I'm sorry if I totally offend someone about that.

I loved his support system, his family even his school was pretty supportive of him trying to get better. I can't emphasis this enough YOU NEED A VERY GOOD SUPPORT SYSTEM TO GET THROUGH SOMETHING LIKE THIS. My cousin has a mental illness and all her immediate family tells her is to get over it. They don't show support and she's constantly struggling with her illness because she doesn't have the support she needs from her family to really get the help she needs. I was so glad to see that Craig had a great support system and a family who wanted him to get better.

What I didn't like about the book:
I didn't really like the ending it was one of the things that I didn't find realistic.

The little bit of insta-love that I didn't agree with but I guess anything could happen right?

Aaron and Nia. If you've the book you'll understand why I didn't like them.

Overall
I really enjoyed this book. The opening line definitely drew me and I found myself wanting to know what happened to Craig. How did he get depressed? Was he going to overcome it? Like I mentioned I thought it was pretty realistic and really liked the fact that it not only involved depression but other mental illnesses as well. Overall, this was a pretty good book and I do recommend it.

tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |
"Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review

"A book about depression that's not the least bit depressing."
added by Awesomeness1 | editTeen Vogue

"Funny...[Vizzini] supplies personal insights and a clever, self-deprecating tone that make the book and entertaining read."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Washingston Post

"The wise, witty narrator and sensitive handling of a hot topic should win over older teens- and their parents"
added by Awesomeness1 | editPeople Magazine

"It's terrific: funny, incisive, disarming."
added by Awesomeness1 | editNew York Magazine

To my mom. You knew you'd get one sooner or later, and seeing as they're so hard to do, I figured we'd better make it sooner. I love you.
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078685197X, Paperback)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:28 -0400)

A humorous account of a New York City teenager's battle with depression and his time spent in a psychiatric hospital.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 27 books! | Top bar: Always visible