It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned…

It's Kind of a Funny Story (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ned Vizzini

2,2601082,837 (4)46
Title:It's Kind of a Funny Story
Authors:Ned Vizzini
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:audio books, Your library

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (2006)

This was a book I was completely unable to put down. I read the book in a matter of two days, and I loved reading it. I expected that a book about teenager depression and mental disorder to be in itself depressing or difficult, but instead this book was enjoyable. The stories were sweet and though the subject is heavy, the delivery of the story was so perfectly light and wonderful. I highly recommend this book to everyone. ( )
  ceciliachard | Oct 17, 2016 |
3 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I would rate this 3.5 stars if Goodreads had half stars.. I enjoyed reading it but felt the ending lacked something. The voice of the book seemed authentic but then ending just seemed like it was too short of time for the main character to get better... Like he wasn't really recovering but maybe becoming a little manic? Not sure but then when I read the author's biography, I found out he died a few years ago by committing suicide and suffered with clinical depression his whole life (he was only 32 years old). He used a lot of his real life to write this book, from a time in his early 20s that he spent in a psych ward. It made the book make a bit more sense and, unfortunately, gave me little hope for the main character. Hopefully, in this fictional world, he gets the long-term help he needs... and it works... ( )
  mleivers | Aug 29, 2016 |
Perhaps I'm too old for it, but I found it childish and silly. ( )
  RoxyWilde | Jun 27, 2016 |
A great read. Well-written, insightful to a psyche, and interesting. I felt like I really got Craig, and everyone was ... I feel like I'm going to repeat the same words over and over. This looks really good. It also looks like the movie isn't true to this book, which is a shame, the messages were great and really strong. Yes, yes, yes. This book hits home. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 13, 2016 |
"Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review
"A book about depression that's not the least bit depressing."
added by Awesomeness1 | editTeen Vogue
"Funny...[Vizzini] supplies personal insights and a clever, self-deprecating tone that make the book and entertaining read."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Washingston Post
"The wise, witty narrator and sensitive handling of a hot topic should win over older teens- and their parents"
added by Awesomeness1 | editPeople Magazine
"It's terrific: funny, incisive, disarming."
added by Awesomeness1 | editNew York Magazine
To my mom. You knew you'd get one sooner or later, and seeing as they're so hard to do, I figured we'd better make it sooner. I love you.
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078685197X, Paperback)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:28 -0400)

A humorous account of a New York City teenager's battle with depression and his time spent in a psychiatric hospital.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,826,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible