Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston

Six Bad Things (edition 2005)

by Charlie Huston

Member:Tanglewood
Title:Six Bad Things
Authors:Charlie Huston
Info:Ballantine Books (2005), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:E-Book
Tags:E-Book, Mystery, Sony

Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston

Another in Huston's series about Hank Thompson, ex-baseball player turned fugitive, this was another entertaining book about extortion, vigilantes, and perhaps inevitably for this series, murder. Lots of murder, actually. Entertaining in a light way. ( )
  Meggo | Jan 12, 2013 |
Huston continues to impress me with how well he writes gritty thrillers. His stories just suck you in and spit you out. He has a terse and fast-paced writing style that works very well for this kind of novel, particularly with is fragmentary dialog.

While the writing was as good as in the first book in the Hank Thompson trilogy, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did Caught Stealing. It wasn't Middle Book Syndrome so much as that the tone of this book is filled with hopelessness. Hank's life continues to fall apart with everything he cares about being threatened or destroyed. As a reader, you can only watch helplessly as he surrenders piece after piece of himself, turning into something that you don't particularly like, even while feeling sympathy for him because you know how he got there. ( )
  TadAD | Jan 15, 2012 |
Another excellent book by Charlie Huston. This one took me a little longer to read, not because it was a bad book, just that I forgot I was reading it. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. I like how Charlie Huston draws the reader into the story and does not let the go. I am very excited to see where Hank ends up in the next one, so I think I will be reading it very soon. A solid recommendation, for anyone who is into noir style books. ( )
  irunsjh | Jul 29, 2010 |
It was fast-paced, unpredictable, and violent, just like the first book, but Six Bad Things was much more depressing, actually making me tear up at several points. It's interesting to watch Hank's character changing (in a good ways and bad) with each person he kills or gets killed, and I found the motivations behind his actions becoming less and less clear. Despite its hopeless tone, it's definitely worth reading if you liked Caught Stealing. Not to mention both of these books have amazing dialogue. ( )
  les121 | May 16, 2010 |
Book 2 in the Hank Thompson trilogy finds our anti-hero down in Mexico kicking back on the beach until bad things start to happen and the body count starts to rise as he returns to the US. Fans of Charlie Huston will appreciate but newcomers may need to beware. Personally I probably liked it slightly more than the debut in the series as the narrative was probably slightly more linear and some of the other characters definitely added to the piece. ( )
  johnbsheridan | Oct 13, 2009 |

Hank Thompson is living off the map in Mexico with a bagful of cash that the Russian mafia wants back and many, many secrets. So when a Russian backpacker shows up in town asking questions, Hank tries to play it cool. But he knows the jig is up when the backpacker mentions the money . . . and the family Hank left behind. Suddenly Hank’s in a desperate race to get to his parents in California before anyone can harm them. Along the way he’ll face Federales and Border Patrol, mafiosi and vigilantes, extortionists and drug dealers, and a couple of psychotic surf bums with an ax to grind. From the golden beaches of the Yucatán to the seedy strip clubs of Vegas, Charlie Huston opens a door to the squalid underworld of crime and corruption–and invites the reader to live it in the extreme.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:33 -0400)

"Hank Thompson is living off the map in Mexico with a bagful of cash that the Russian mafia wants back and many, many secrets. So when a Russian backpacker shows up in town asking questions, Hank tries to play it cool. But he knows the jig is up when the backpacker mentions the money ... and the family Hank left behind. Suddenly Hank's in a desperate race to get to his parents in California before anyone can harm them. Along the way he'll face Federales and Border Patrol, mafiosi and vigilantes, extortionists and drug dealers, and a couple of psychotic surf bums with an ax to grind. From the golden beaches of the Yucatan to the seedy strip clubs of Vegas, Charlie Huston opens a door to the squalid underworld of crime and corruption - and invites the reader to live it in the extreme."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

41 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,346,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible