The Shack by William P. Young

The Shack

by William P. Young

2008 (36) 2009 (53) book club (33) Christian (180) Christian Fiction (207) Christianity (112) faith (125) family (25) fiction (815) forgiveness (74) God (159) grief (87) Holy Spirit (27) inspirational (54) Jesus (53) love (26) murder (56) novel (85) own (26) read (76) read in 2008 (31) read in 2009 (30) religion (209) religious (59) religious fiction (33) spiritual (64) spirituality (102) Theology (86) to-read (73) Trinity (76)
    Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory (soflbooks)
    soflbooks: David Gregory's short story about a man who accepts a dinner invitation with Jesus is better written than The Shack and sticks to evangelical theology.
    Rooms by James L. Rubart (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Another story of searching for meaning after personal tragedy and questioning why bad things happen.
    Thrones for the Innocent by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: Thrones for the Innocent is a stunning compliment to The Shack. It addresses the metaphysical mysteries of ontology and theology without preaching. Where The Shack speaks directly to and about God and the Christian Trinity; Thrones is both subliminal and aggressive. Thrones helped me deal with the frustration I felt in my own heart about the paradox of the existence of evil and and all-loving all-powerful Creator. Thrones is very spiritual and yet avoids struggling with the convolution of structured religion. it should raise some eyebrows as well as quiet some tortured hearts.… (more)

English (415)  German (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (432)
This is the most inspirational Christian fiction of its time. The characters are very believable, the plot is extremely compelling, and the resolution of this story is the key to the success of this very well-known book. Its current popularity has largely been the product of "word of mouth" because the publisher is very obscure. I predict this book will remain on the best-seller list for some very long time due to the number of book clubs which are currently reading this title.

I hung on it, and could not put it down. And, I missed a whole lot of meals because of it. . .But, I do not regret the calories I missed. I was fed in much greater ways. And, in better company.
  BerneAcademy | May 20, 2014 |
This book brought me back to the true meaning of what it is to be loved by God. ( )
  loralu | Apr 29, 2014 |
Wow! What an amazing book. This book should compulsory reading for every Christian. This book truly shows the father heart of God and how much he loves us and is for us. ( )
  adeej | Apr 25, 2014 |
I gave this book 5 stars because it was compelling and thought-provoking. I recommend it to those who see God as distant and impersonal. I recommend it to those struggling with where God fits into tragedy. Please do not read it as truth. It is fiction, as the author clearly states. Please do not read it as an evangelical portrayal of God. But please do read it. You may just find that a challenge to your view of God is good for you. ( )
  Lynette.Williams | Apr 9, 2014 |
This is a book that came out a few years ago and apparently got some attention in Christian circles, but I was basically unaware of its existence. I read it because several people in a discussion group I participated in talked about it and how it helped them with some difficulties in their lives. Having read the book I now have a better sense of what they were saying.

That said, I have to talk about this book on two levels. First of all the author is not a writer. It is not well written. The wording and phraseology is awkward and terribly clichéed.

The novel is about a father who has lost his young daughter to a serial killer, is wrapped in grief, is seriously injured in a automobile accident, and has an encounter with God that restores his faith. It is clearly based on the principles that seem to shape some near-death experiences. It is also clearly written by someone who has struggled with loss and faith and is trying to share his story.

I can in fact see how this book has angered many and also helped many, and I have no interest in getting involved in the discussion of Christianity, humanism, universalism, heresy etc. etc. that this book plays into. I felt the discussion of the Trinity was quite good, but there are many areas that are theologically weak, to say the least. It is thought provoking if one is inclined toward thinking about the topic of God and/or the meaning of life and the nature of forgiveness and restoration. It is also a work of fiction, not a work of theology. The author is telling a story, not telling people what they should believe. Strict adherence to truth is not the purpose of good fiction. Through story we are lead to open our minds, perhaps think, perhaps see the world a little differently. If the story helps some people with their own issues surrounding faith, so be it. They will perhaps move on and seek out further sources. If the story makes you recoil in anger and frustration it may still be a success if it forces you to face your anger and define your frustrations.

I am inclined to say that I believe it is not my place to tell anyone what they should believe, that we humans have a very spotty record when it comes to judging, and we should therefore best avoid it. Sometimes we find enlightenment and understanding in the strangest places, in the least expected places, even in wrong-headed places. This is one of the gifts of humanity. All I can say about that this book is, if one is thoughtfully or spiritually inclined, and capable of getting past the many short-comings of this book, there are quite a few profound insights that may make you think and reflect and question what it means to be a better person. And I suppose I believe, that for me, those insights transcend all the other failings of the book. ( )
  dooney | Mar 21, 2014 |
I read this book awhile back and would def tell others about it. Parts of it were confusing. But the story line was so emotional for me, I lost a child as well and I could relate to all the "why me' and "why my daughter" It gave me great peace reading and I have 3 copies that I pass along when I feel the need that someone may also enjoy reading this book. I also hope my books are passed from person to person,, as needed.
added by waterforelephants | editNY, LG (Apr 21, 2011)

Would I recommend this book? No, I would not. It is full of theological problems as well as an irreverent and casual attitude toward God. Yes, there are nice things in it and people might even be helped by the book. But so what? There are some nice things in Mormonism, too. Should we encourage people to read the Book of Mormon because Mormonism might help someone feel better? Not at all.

Sadly, experience has shown me that most Christians aren't interested in biblical fidelity. No, I'm not talking about biblical nit-picking. I'm talking about fidelity to the revealed word of God to the point where we don't contradict what is plainly stated in scripture!

We Christians should regard the word of God as the final authority on all things, and any supposed accounts of actual occurrences should be compared to scripture, not our feelings, wants, and desires. In the case of The Shack, the book falls woefully short of scriptural truth in many important areas and has the strong ability to mislead people regarding God's nature, work, and plan for us.

Again, I do not recommend it.

Focusing on just three of the subjects William
Young discusses in The Shack, we’ve seen that
errors abound. He presents a false view of God
and one that may well be described as heretical. He downplays the importance and uniqueness of the Bible, subjugating it or making it equal to other forms of subjective revelation. He misrepresents redemption and salvation, opening the door to the possibility of salvation outside of the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross. We are left with an unbiblical understanding of the persons and nature of God and of His work in this world.

William P. Youngprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mueller, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story was written for my children:

Chad-the Gentle Deep,
Nicholas-the Tender Explorer,
Andrew-the Kindhearted Affection,
Amy-the Joyful Knower,
Alexandra (Lexi)-the Shining Power,
Matthew-the Becoming Wonder

And dedicated first, to:

Kim, my Beloved, thank you for saving my life.
And second, to:

"...All us stumblers who believe Love rules. Stand up and let it shine."
Foreword:

Who wouldn't be skeptical when a man claims to have spent an entire weekend with God, in a shack no less?
March unleashed a torrent of rainfall after an abnormally dry winter.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:55 -0400)

Mackenzie Allen Phillips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,242,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible