The Shack by William P. Young

The Shack (original 2008; edition 2008)

by William P. Young

Member:webdeb
Title:The Shack
Authors:William P. Young
Info:Windblown Media (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 256 pages

The Shack by William P. Young (2008)

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory (soflbooks)
    soflbooks: David Gregory's short story about a man who accepts a dinner invitation with Jesus is better written than The Shack and sticks to evangelical theology.
    Thrones for the Innocent by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: Thrones for the Innocent is a stunning compliment to The Shack. It addresses the metaphysical mysteries of ontology and theology without preaching. Where The Shack speaks directly to and about God and the Christian Trinity; Thrones is both subliminal and aggressive. Thrones helped me deal with the frustration I felt in my own heart about the paradox of the existence of evil and and all-loving all-powerful Creator. Thrones is very spiritual and yet avoids struggling with the convolution of structured religion. it should raise some eyebrows as well as quiet some tortured hearts.… (more)
    Rooms by James L. Rubart (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Another story of searching for meaning after personal tragedy and questioning why bad things happen.

English (487)  German (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (505)
This is a good book; enjoyable story. It's well written and an easy read. My only complaint is that it was "cheesy". I know this wasn't a science fiction story, but if it were a ScyFy movie, I would be a "B" movie. But other than that, it's a good read. If you go into this story thinking it's a "Christian" book, help you with your questions about religion and/or theology, you will be greatly disappointed. There are plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews with the comments "So theologically off" because of expectations and thinking that the book is going to solidify how one sees God or religion. This is NOT The Pilgrim's Progress, not even close. If you go into this book as just that, a BOOK, a fictitious novel, then you will enjoy this book. It has moments that will make you smile, moments that may bring a tear to your eye, moments that make you angry and moments that you just scratch your head and wonder "where did THAT come from?" Still, good book. ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
The overall story was excellent. The theological aspects were way off base in several respects, giving a rather large misrepresentation of who God really is. That the book has a allegorical feel, most, if not all, allegories that I've read have held to the truth of the Bible. This book does not. It's a shame, because this book could have maintained allegiance to the Bible and still have had the same, if not greater, impact. ( )
  impactwriter | Sep 5, 2018 |
I was attracted to this book by the reviews. Half of them wrote that this was the best book they’d ever read – an amazing book! The other half said that the book was utter rubbish – and very badly written too.

I’ll reveal the beginning of the plot. Mack’s beloved daughter, Missy, is missing, kidnapped by a serial killer and presumably murdered. This is termed “the great sadness”.

Later, Mack finds a note in his mailbox from Papa, which is his wife’s name for God, saying that He’d be waiting for him at the shack next weekend. The shack was where they found Missy’s blood-soiled dress, so it was probably the scene of the crime, and thus about the most difficult place for Mack to visit.

Mack’s wife, Nan, is not at home and Mack decides to make a trip to the shack to meet Papa (God).

He does in fact meet God at the shack in the form of three separate “persons”, representing the Father, the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit.

These characters are not what you might expect God to be, and the meeting is inspiring for Mack. And Papa, the Father, who is in female form, is rather a good cook.

I found the book illuminating and very readable but by no means the best book I’ve ever read. It was well-written except for the fact that the author keeps talking about “a couple” this and that, not realizing that the correct phrase is “a couple of” whatever.

I would describe the book as a good spiritual thriller and would recommend it as such, but did not find it to be a “must read”, ( )
  IonaS | Aug 23, 2018 |
Review to come ( )
  mspoet569 | Aug 18, 2018 |
Ok for a religious book. Not the novel for detective book lovers. ( )
  Kevin.Bokay | Aug 5, 2018 |
Young's too-weird-for-the-pulpit thoughts about how Adam's rib and the female uterus form a "circle of relationship" have the appeal of knobby heirloom-produce in a world where much religion arrives vacuum-packed. His theories—how to believe in Adam while supporting particle-physics research; why the Lord is OK with your preference for lewd funk more than staid church music—accomplish what mainstream faiths tend to fail at: connecting recondite doctrine to the tastes, rhythms, and mores of modern life. ... And though the novel, as a novel, is a sinner's distance from perfection, it's an eloquent reminder that, for those who give some faith and effort to the writing craft, there is, even today, the chance to touch and heal enough strangers to work a little miracle.
added by eromsted | editSlate, Nathan Heller (Jun 3, 2010)

Would I recommend this book? No, I would not. It is full of theological problems as well as an irreverent and casual attitude toward God. Yes, there are nice things in it and people might even be helped by the book. But so what? There are some nice things in Mormonism, too. Should we encourage people to read the Book of Mormon because Mormonism might help someone feel better? Not at all.

Sadly, experience has shown me that most Christians aren't interested in biblical fidelity. No, I'm not talking about biblical nit-picking. I'm talking about fidelity to the revealed word of God to the point where we don't contradict what is plainly stated in scripture!

We Christians should regard the word of God as the final authority on all things, and any supposed accounts of actual occurrences should be compared to scripture, not our feelings, wants, and desires. In the case of The Shack, the book falls woefully short of scriptural truth in many important areas and has the strong ability to mislead people regarding God's nature, work, and plan for us.

Again, I do not recommend it.

Focusing on just three of the subjects William
Young discusses in The Shack, we’ve seen that
errors abound. He presents a false view of God
and one that may well be described as heretical. He downplays the importance and uniqueness of the Bible, subjugating it or making it equal to other forms of subjective revelation. He misrepresents redemption and salvation, opening the door to the possibility of salvation outside of the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross. We are left with an unbiblical understanding of the persons and nature of God and of His work in this world.

William P. Youngprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cummings, Bradsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wayne Jacobsensecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mueller, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story was written for my children:

Chad-the Gentle Deep,
Nicholas-the Tender Explorer,
Andrew-the Kindhearted Affection,
Amy-the Joyful Knower,
Alexandra (Lexi)-the Shining Power,
Matthew-the Becoming Wonder

And dedicated first, to:

Kim, my Beloved, thank you for saving my life.
And second, to:

"...All us stumblers who believe Love rules. Stand up and let it shine."
Foreword:

Who wouldn't be skeptical when a man claims to have spent an entire weekend with God, in a shack no less?
March unleashed a torrent of rainfall after an abnormally dry winter.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

Mackenzie Allen Phillips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,266,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible