The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity…

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity (edition 2007)

by William P. Young

Member:doubleperfect
Title:The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
Authors:William P. Young
Info:Windblown Media (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Personal Struggle, Devotion

The Shack by William P. Young

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory (soflbooks)
    soflbooks: David Gregory's short story about a man who accepts a dinner invitation with Jesus is better written than The Shack and sticks to evangelical theology.
    Thrones for the Innocent by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: Thrones for the Innocent is a stunning compliment to The Shack. It addresses the metaphysical mysteries of ontology and theology without preaching. Where The Shack speaks directly to and about God and the Christian Trinity; Thrones is both subliminal and aggressive. Thrones helped me deal with the frustration I felt in my own heart about the paradox of the existence of evil and and all-loving all-powerful Creator. Thrones is very spiritual and yet avoids struggling with the convolution of structured religion. it should raise some eyebrows as well as quiet some tortured hearts.… (more)
    Rooms by James L. Rubart (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Another story of searching for meaning after personal tragedy and questioning why bad things happen.

English (469)  German (6)  All (5)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  French (1)  All (486)
Mack, a man whose daughter had been kidnapped and murdered, receives a letter in his mailbox inviting him to spend a weekend at the very shack where his world fell apart four years earlier.

It is at that very shack where Mack comes face to face with God and learns to heal.

jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I really don't know what to say about this book! It is very profound for someone like me that does not altogether believe in God, this certainly is not my first choice of go-to reads.
Mack's daughter Missy goes missing on a family weekend away and is believed to have been murdered by a serial killer.
Mack's life changes after this, his heart becomes hardened and he becomes less tolerant with things around him, he is angry and he becomes oh so sad. He receives a note from Papa to go to the shack that evidence was found in. Who id Papa? What does he want? Why does he want to speak to Mack? And should he go? Anyway, he does go and what takes place is quite extraordinary!
I found it very hard to get my head round and a lot of the concepts just went way over my head! I really can't say it has made me believe any more but the man that wrote this book has left me with some questions!
If you are a believer, you will love it, if not it is worth looking at, An interesting read if nothing else. ( )
  Glorybe1 | Apr 17, 2017 |
In this book, one of the Trinity tells the guy that the best way to heaven is through Jesus. That is wrong !!! Jesus is not the best way, he is the ONLY way. ( )
1 vote passingthrusojourner | Apr 12, 2017 |
An unexpected thought-provoking read!

THE SHACK by WM. Paul Young is a stand-alone christian suspense.

I am probably the only person on the planet who thought this was a new release, only to find out it’s been out since 2008! I have no idea how I didn’t know this, but 9 years after its release I decided to pick it up because I had a friend tell me this SHACK book was being made into a movie.

I didn't have a clue what this book was about. The only thing I knew was the cover looked eerie, and I assumed it was a mystery/suspense. As it turned out it did have plenty of mystery and suspense but it was mainly of a religious and spiritual context. Lesson learned: don’t judge a book by its cover! I have to admit, had I known it was heavy into religion and spiritualism, I would have bypassed this book completely, but I'm glad I didn't. It’s my very first spiritual book and it was good!

Mackenzie (Mack) Allen Phillips's youngest daughter, Missy, is abducted while on a family vacation and presumed murdered from bloody evidence found in a remote shack. Since that tragic day, Mack has been debilitated by depression, bitterness, and guilt, which he refers to as The Great Sadness. A religious man, Mack has lost faith in God because he doesn’t understand why God wasn’t there to protect his little girl, and why God doesn’t prevent all the unspeakable horrors in the world. Skip to four years later and he receives an anonymous note in his mailbox asking him to return to The Shack. Thinking it's a sick joke, he's terrified it could be from his daughter’s murderer trying to lure him. He borrows his friend's Jeep and handgun and journeys back into the wilderness to The Shack, where he confronts his worst nightmare, ultimately finding peace, forgiveness, and happiness through love and faith in God.

When I got into the first few chapters of this book I stopped and had to look up whether this book was fictional. It started out and remained so real that I kept thinking it was the memories of Mack’s vivid dream, or a mental or drug-induced hallucination. Even if you're not spiritual or religious, I think this book would make you really think and wonder and question if you can believe in something that can’t be tangibly seen. The story is sad and thought-provoking, and it wraps up nicely with the best happy ending that can come out of the situation where a little girl is abducted and her father beyond heartbroken.

This is a spiritual book. I don't have a good comparison since this is the first in this genre I have ever picked up. Obviously fans of Christian fiction will love this but I think this would appeal to fans of mystery. I think if you enjoyed the movie, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, you may enjoy this book. This book mentions violence but doesn't contain gory descriptions or lewd language. It's appropriate for readers 13 and older.

THE SHACK earns 4 North of Normal stars! ( )
  cmmccoy | Mar 13, 2017 |
When I was young I thought I understood God. Then I thought I understood that there was no God. Lately I've questioned my certainty. ( )
  jefware | Mar 10, 2017 |
Young's too-weird-for-the-pulpit thoughts about how Adam's rib and the female uterus form a "circle of relationship" have the appeal of knobby heirloom-produce in a world where much religion arrives vacuum-packed. His theories—how to believe in Adam while supporting particle-physics research; why the Lord is OK with your preference for lewd funk more than staid church music—accomplish what mainstream faiths tend to fail at: connecting recondite doctrine to the tastes, rhythms, and mores of modern life. ... And though the novel, as a novel, is a sinner's distance from perfection, it's an eloquent reminder that, for those who give some faith and effort to the writing craft, there is, even today, the chance to touch and heal enough strangers to work a little miracle.
added by eromsted | editSlate, Nathan Heller (Jun 3, 2010)

An unexpected thought-provoking read!

THE SHACK by WM. Paul Young is a stand-alone christian suspense.

THE SHACK earns 4 North of Normal stars

Would I recommend this book? No, I would not. It is full of theological problems as well as an irreverent and casual attitude toward God. Yes, there are nice things in it and people might even be helped by the book. But so what? There are some nice things in Mormonism, too. Should we encourage people to read the Book of Mormon because Mormonism might help someone feel better? Not at all.

Sadly, experience has shown me that most Christians aren't interested in biblical fidelity. No, I'm not talking about biblical nit-picking. I'm talking about fidelity to the revealed word of God to the point where we don't contradict what is plainly stated in scripture!

We Christians should regard the word of God as the final authority on all things, and any supposed accounts of actual occurrences should be compared to scripture, not our feelings, wants, and desires. In the case of The Shack, the book falls woefully short of scriptural truth in many important areas and has the strong ability to mislead people regarding God's nature, work, and plan for us.

Again, I do not recommend it.

Focusing on just three of the subjects William
Young discusses in The Shack, we’ve seen that
errors abound. He presents a false view of God
and one that may well be described as heretical. He downplays the importance and uniqueness of the Bible, subjugating it or making it equal to other forms of subjective revelation. He misrepresents redemption and salvation, opening the door to the possibility of salvation outside of the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross. We are left with an unbiblical understanding of the persons and nature of God and of His work in this world.

William P. Youngprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cummings, BradAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wayne JacobsenAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mueller, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story was written for my children:

Chad-the Gentle Deep,
Nicholas-the Tender Explorer,
Andrew-the Kindhearted Affection,
Amy-the Joyful Knower,
Alexandra (Lexi)-the Shining Power,
Matthew-the Becoming Wonder

And dedicated first, to:

Kim, my Beloved, thank you for saving my life.
And second, to:

"...All us stumblers who believe Love rules. Stand up and let it shine."
Foreword:

Who wouldn't be skeptical when a man claims to have spent an entire weekend with God, in a shack no less?
March unleashed a torrent of rainfall after an abnormally dry winter.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

Mackenzie Allen Phillips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,890,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible