The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity…

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity (edition 2007)

by William P. Young

Member:doubleperfect
Title:The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
Authors:William P. Young
Info:Windblown Media (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Personal Struggle, Devotion

The Shack by William P. Young

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory (soflbooks)
    soflbooks: David Gregory's short story about a man who accepts a dinner invitation with Jesus is better written than The Shack and sticks to evangelical theology.
    Thrones for the Innocent by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: Thrones for the Innocent is a stunning compliment to The Shack. It addresses the metaphysical mysteries of ontology and theology without preaching. Where The Shack speaks directly to and about God and the Christian Trinity; Thrones is both subliminal and aggressive. Thrones helped me deal with the frustration I felt in my own heart about the paradox of the existence of evil and and all-loving all-powerful Creator. Thrones is very spiritual and yet avoids struggling with the convolution of structured religion. it should raise some eyebrows as well as quiet some tortured hearts.… (more)
    Rooms by James L. Rubart (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Another story of searching for meaning after personal tragedy and questioning why bad things happen.

English (445)  German (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (462)
Literally could not get through this.
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't really want to read this book that much, but it fulfilled a requirement for a challenge I am doing this year, to read a book that someone recommended to me, and quite frankly the other one was more than 800 pages long...so here we are. And come to find out, the person who recommended it didn't actually like it. Not so much from the theological aspect, but as far as violence against children goes.

It was intriguing, I'll give it that. I am jealous of folks who are of faith. Just how do they know? What is that decision process? Ah, but then we aren't talking about the average everyday person of faith are we? We are talking about the person who has been granted the experience of gnosis...to know that God exists. How many can read this and vicariously take on that experience? Only the folks that are well on their way in my opinion. Or folks that have so much pain that it cripples them and need some place to put it away. While I may come across as cynical, I will say that I did find it thought provoking, and some of the thoughts about religion as an institution, and rules, certainly struck a chord with me. Some of it may merit a future re-read, it is a lot to try to absorb in one pass. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book made me think about a lot of things. The relationship pieces were brilliant but I didn't quite agree with lots of spiritual advices. ( )
  PreetiD | Jan 29, 2016 |
Mack, devastated by family tragedy, has suffered depression for four years. Then he has a note, apparently from God, inviting him to spend a weekend with him...

The majority of the book is taken up with Mack's conversations with the three Persons of God. Much of what is said is positive and encouraging, as he learns about the nature of unconditional love and forgiveness. Perhaps the theology veers towards universalism, but it IS fiction, and should be taken as such.

I nearly gave up on this book. The first few chapters are so badly written, I wanted to get out a red pen and edit them. The descriptions are ponderous, full of clichés, repetitions and unnecessary adjectives.

Fortunately it gets a lot better once the conversations with God begin, and I did get more drawn into the story. There were one or two very emotional moments that brought a tear to my eye, and while I didn't actually read or learn anything new, there were some good reminders about the importance of relationship as opposed to rules in the Christian life.

Recommended to anyone caught up in rule-based religion, or wanting to know more about the nature of God. Just don't forget that it's one man's fictional interpretation, not absolute truth. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
First, the book was poorly written, but as it was self-published, I doubt a lot of stylistic editing occurred. Second, some of the theology is suspect at best. Despite the author's claims that it is only fiction, he, nevertheless goes against scripture in various areas. I would not recommend the book to someone who was not firmly grounded in their understanding of God and man. The story itself is intriguing, and some admirable aspects of our relationship with God are communicated, but the negatives outweigh the positives. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
Young's too-weird-for-the-pulpit thoughts about how Adam's rib and the female uterus form a "circle of relationship" have the appeal of knobby heirloom-produce in a world where much religion arrives vacuum-packed. His theories—how to believe in Adam while supporting particle-physics research; why the Lord is OK with your preference for lewd funk more than staid church music—accomplish what mainstream faiths tend to fail at: connecting recondite doctrine to the tastes, rhythms, and mores of modern life. ... And though the novel, as a novel, is a sinner's distance from perfection, it's an eloquent reminder that, for those who give some faith and effort to the writing craft, there is, even today, the chance to touch and heal enough strangers to work a little miracle.
added by eromsted | editSlate, Nathan Heller (Jun 3, 2010)

Would I recommend this book? No, I would not. It is full of theological problems as well as an irreverent and casual attitude toward God. Yes, there are nice things in it and people might even be helped by the book. But so what? There are some nice things in Mormonism, too. Should we encourage people to read the Book of Mormon because Mormonism might help someone feel better? Not at all.

Sadly, experience has shown me that most Christians aren't interested in biblical fidelity. No, I'm not talking about biblical nit-picking. I'm talking about fidelity to the revealed word of God to the point where we don't contradict what is plainly stated in scripture!

We Christians should regard the word of God as the final authority on all things, and any supposed accounts of actual occurrences should be compared to scripture, not our feelings, wants, and desires. In the case of The Shack, the book falls woefully short of scriptural truth in many important areas and has the strong ability to mislead people regarding God's nature, work, and plan for us.

Again, I do not recommend it.

Focusing on just three of the subjects William
Young discusses in The Shack, we’ve seen that
errors abound. He presents a false view of God
and one that may well be described as heretical. He downplays the importance and uniqueness of the Bible, subjugating it or making it equal to other forms of subjective revelation. He misrepresents redemption and salvation, opening the door to the possibility of salvation outside of the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross. We are left with an unbiblical understanding of the persons and nature of God and of His work in this world.

William P. Youngprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mueller, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story was written for my children:

Chad-the Gentle Deep,
Nicholas-the Tender Explorer,
Andrew-the Kindhearted Affection,
Amy-the Joyful Knower,
Alexandra (Lexi)-the Shining Power,
Matthew-the Becoming Wonder

And dedicated first, to:

Kim, my Beloved, thank you for saving my life.
And second, to:

"...All us stumblers who believe Love rules. Stand up and let it shine."
Foreword:

Who wouldn't be skeptical when a man claims to have spent an entire weekend with God, in a shack no less?
March unleashed a torrent of rainfall after an abnormally dry winter.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

Mackenzie Allen Phillips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,013,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible