The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity…

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity (edition 2007)

by William P. Young

Member:doubleperfect
Title:The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
Authors:William P. Young
Info:Windblown Media (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Personal Struggle, Devotion

The Shack by William P. Young

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory (soflbooks)
    soflbooks: David Gregory's short story about a man who accepts a dinner invitation with Jesus is better written than The Shack and sticks to evangelical theology.
    Thrones for the Innocent by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: Thrones for the Innocent is a stunning compliment to The Shack. It addresses the metaphysical mysteries of ontology and theology without preaching. Where The Shack speaks directly to and about God and the Christian Trinity; Thrones is both subliminal and aggressive. Thrones helped me deal with the frustration I felt in my own heart about the paradox of the existence of evil and and all-loving all-powerful Creator. Thrones is very spiritual and yet avoids struggling with the convolution of structured religion. it should raise some eyebrows as well as quiet some tortured hearts.… (more)
    Rooms by James L. Rubart (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Another story of searching for meaning after personal tragedy and questioning why bad things happen.

English (471)  German (6)  All (5)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  French (1)  All (488)
Was a very good read! ( : ( )
  ConlayPikamor | May 24, 2017 |
This was an interesting story/parable about a man in a emotional and spiritual crisis following the kidnapping and murder of his daughter. Mack meets the Trinity and learns of the care and concern that God has for him and his family.

Some people have quibbled about whether or not this booked envisions God accurately and certainly it does not do it perfectly. But it does produce a vision which is challenging and comforting(even if there are points where I would disagree). This book isn't the bible so I don't expect perfection. It is worth a read. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
4.5/5 Stars

(Read the Audio & Physical copy. I think I did more listening than reading!) :)

Glad I was finally able to read and finish it. Many things I was able to see quite a bit differently..some things I remember not agreeing with, but hey, that's part of life..we may not agree with some things, even in fiction. :-)

Over all, I adored the story and Mack. I gave it 4.5/5 because I did get bored at some points. I think if some of it had to do with me and others, where the book just wasn't grabbing me.

I just enjoyed the life, love and forgiveness lessons..that was the best to me.
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
My pastor suggested I read this book after a discussion we had about my struggles with my faith.

While not written very well and the background of the story kind of cliche (hence the three stars), the message of the book came out loud and clear and truly wonderful.

The basic premise: a man suffers a horrible tragedy. He's angry at God. He meets God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit at the shack where the tragedy occurred and gets to spend real quality time with them.

Okay, so that sentence was pretty trite itself, and it doesn't nearly explain the real gist of the story. Actually, the story itself doesn't matter. What matters is what is being said in the story. The discussion and discovery about having a real honest to goodness relationship with God.

That part is the part worth reading. In between readings I found myself wishing I could spend a weekend sorting out my "issues" with God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I'm going back through it now making notes so I can talk to my pastor about it when she comes back from vacation.

Even if you aren't a Christian but you have questions, this is definitely worth the read. For me it answered a lot of tough questions I had and I feel as if I've come out of the other side of the book with more questions, good ones - how do I get my community of believers? How do I develop my relationship with God? I'm excited to begin this new path on my journey. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Mack, a man whose daughter had been kidnapped and murdered, receives a letter in his mailbox inviting him to spend a weekend at the very shack where his world fell apart four years earlier.

It is at that very shack where Mack comes face to face with God and learns to heal.

jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Young's too-weird-for-the-pulpit thoughts about how Adam's rib and the female uterus form a "circle of relationship" have the appeal of knobby heirloom-produce in a world where much religion arrives vacuum-packed. His theories—how to believe in Adam while supporting particle-physics research; why the Lord is OK with your preference for lewd funk more than staid church music—accomplish what mainstream faiths tend to fail at: connecting recondite doctrine to the tastes, rhythms, and mores of modern life. ... And though the novel, as a novel, is a sinner's distance from perfection, it's an eloquent reminder that, for those who give some faith and effort to the writing craft, there is, even today, the chance to touch and heal enough strangers to work a little miracle.
added by eromsted | editSlate, Nathan Heller (Jun 3, 2010)

Would I recommend this book? No, I would not. It is full of theological problems as well as an irreverent and casual attitude toward God. Yes, there are nice things in it and people might even be helped by the book. But so what? There are some nice things in Mormonism, too. Should we encourage people to read the Book of Mormon because Mormonism might help someone feel better? Not at all.

Sadly, experience has shown me that most Christians aren't interested in biblical fidelity. No, I'm not talking about biblical nit-picking. I'm talking about fidelity to the revealed word of God to the point where we don't contradict what is plainly stated in scripture!

We Christians should regard the word of God as the final authority on all things, and any supposed accounts of actual occurrences should be compared to scripture, not our feelings, wants, and desires. In the case of The Shack, the book falls woefully short of scriptural truth in many important areas and has the strong ability to mislead people regarding God's nature, work, and plan for us.

Again, I do not recommend it.

Focusing on just three of the subjects William
Young discusses in The Shack, we’ve seen that
errors abound. He presents a false view of God
and one that may well be described as heretical. He downplays the importance and uniqueness of the Bible, subjugating it or making it equal to other forms of subjective revelation. He misrepresents redemption and salvation, opening the door to the possibility of salvation outside of the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross. We are left with an unbiblical understanding of the persons and nature of God and of His work in this world.

William P. Youngprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cummings, BradAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wayne JacobsenAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mueller, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story was written for my children:

Chad-the Gentle Deep,
Nicholas-the Tender Explorer,
Andrew-the Kindhearted Affection,
Amy-the Joyful Knower,
Alexandra (Lexi)-the Shining Power,
Matthew-the Becoming Wonder

And dedicated first, to:

Kim, my Beloved, thank you for saving my life.
And second, to:

"...All us stumblers who believe Love rules. Stand up and let it shine."
Foreword:

Who wouldn't be skeptical when a man claims to have spent an entire weekend with God, in a shack no less?
March unleashed a torrent of rainfall after an abnormally dry winter.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

Mackenzie Allen Phillips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible