The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity…

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity (edition 2007)

by William P. Young

Member:doubleperfect
Title:The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
Authors:William P. Young
Info:Windblown Media (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Personal Struggle, Devotion

The Shack by William P. Young

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory (soflbooks)
    soflbooks: David Gregory's short story about a man who accepts a dinner invitation with Jesus is better written than The Shack and sticks to evangelical theology.
    Rooms by James L. Rubart (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Another story of searching for meaning after personal tragedy and questioning why bad things happen.
    Thrones for the Innocent by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: Thrones for the Innocent is a stunning compliment to The Shack. It addresses the metaphysical mysteries of ontology and theology without preaching. Where The Shack speaks directly to and about God and the Christian Trinity; Thrones is both subliminal and aggressive. Thrones helped me deal with the frustration I felt in my own heart about the paradox of the existence of evil and and all-loving all-powerful Creator. Thrones is very spiritual and yet avoids struggling with the convolution of structured religion. it should raise some eyebrows as well as quiet some tortured hearts.… (more)

English (418)  German (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (435)
Mack is out on a trip with three of his kids, when Missy, the youngest at 6-years old, disappears. A few years later, he gets a note from God to meet Him back out at the shack where Missy disappeared.

I liked the start of the book – the suspense/thriller part of it when Missy first disappeared and they were trying to find her. That lasted for about the first third of the book. However, I was bored with the God/religious part of the book. I am not religious in the least (agnostic, leaning toward atheist), so I really wasn't interested and I skimmed most of the last 2/3 of the book because of this. I think if the book had remained a suspenseful thriller, I would have enjoyed it, but all the religious stuff completely lost my interest. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 15, 2014 |
I like it a lot. Whatever one's religious or spiritual beliefs, it's worth the read. ( )
  DianneDHarman | Sep 14, 2014 |
Writing: 4.5; very good writing by Mr. Young
Theme: 5.0; great theme of forgiveness, love and growing in one's relationship with God
Content: 3.5; through the first five chapters the book was exceptional, a page turner; when Mr. Young introduces the reader to- God the Father (Papa?, a woman), the Son (Jesus, a very personable and personal man- not necessarily as Savior), and the Holy Spirit (Sarayu, another woman)- he took a very steep turn from Biblical fact; it is unfortunate that Mr. Young felt the need to portray each within the Trinity (especially the Father and the Holy Spirit) in a anti-Biblical fashion; if he had portrayed them in a more Biblical way I would have rated this volume probably a 4.5-5.0; there were many great principles within, but there were unfortunately serious questionable phrases and perceptions also
Language: 4.5; about three uses of vulgarity; several times vulgarity is used to God (Papa) Himself; there were also several times that Mack is very flippant in his conversation with Papa, Jesus, and Sarayu

Overall: 4.0; Recommend with the above cautions; would not recommend to new Christians and those not strong in their Biblical wisdom

***August 15, 2014*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Aug 16, 2014 |
This is the most inspirational Christian fiction of its time. The characters are very believable, the plot is extremely compelling, and the resolution of this story is the key to the success of this very well-known book. Its current popularity has largely been the product of "word of mouth" because the publisher is very obscure. I predict this book will remain on the best-seller list for some very long time due to the number of book clubs which are currently reading this title.

I hung on it, and could not put it down. And, I missed a whole lot of meals because of it. . .But, I do not regret the calories I missed. I was fed in much greater ways. And, in better company.
  BerneAcademy | May 20, 2014 |
This book brought me back to the true meaning of what it is to be loved by God. ( )
  loralu | Apr 29, 2014 |
I read this book awhile back and would def tell others about it. Parts of it were confusing. But the story line was so emotional for me, I lost a child as well and I could relate to all the "why me' and "why my daughter" It gave me great peace reading and I have 3 copies that I pass along when I feel the need that someone may also enjoy reading this book. I also hope my books are passed from person to person,, as needed.
added by waterforelephants | editNY, LG (Apr 21, 2011)

Would I recommend this book? No, I would not. It is full of theological problems as well as an irreverent and casual attitude toward God. Yes, there are nice things in it and people might even be helped by the book. But so what? There are some nice things in Mormonism, too. Should we encourage people to read the Book of Mormon because Mormonism might help someone feel better? Not at all.

Sadly, experience has shown me that most Christians aren't interested in biblical fidelity. No, I'm not talking about biblical nit-picking. I'm talking about fidelity to the revealed word of God to the point where we don't contradict what is plainly stated in scripture!

We Christians should regard the word of God as the final authority on all things, and any supposed accounts of actual occurrences should be compared to scripture, not our feelings, wants, and desires. In the case of The Shack, the book falls woefully short of scriptural truth in many important areas and has the strong ability to mislead people regarding God's nature, work, and plan for us.

Again, I do not recommend it.

Focusing on just three of the subjects William
Young discusses in The Shack, we’ve seen that
errors abound. He presents a false view of God
and one that may well be described as heretical. He downplays the importance and uniqueness of the Bible, subjugating it or making it equal to other forms of subjective revelation. He misrepresents redemption and salvation, opening the door to the possibility of salvation outside of the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross. We are left with an unbiblical understanding of the persons and nature of God and of His work in this world.

William P. Youngprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mueller, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story was written for my children:

Chad-the Gentle Deep,
Nicholas-the Tender Explorer,
Andrew-the Kindhearted Affection,
Amy-the Joyful Knower,
Alexandra (Lexi)-the Shining Power,
Matthew-the Becoming Wonder

And dedicated first, to:

Kim, my Beloved, thank you for saving my life.
And second, to:

"...All us stumblers who believe Love rules. Stand up and let it shine."
Foreword:

Who wouldn't be skeptical when a man claims to have spent an entire weekend with God, in a shack no less?
March unleashed a torrent of rainfall after an abnormally dry winter.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:55 -0400)

Mackenzie Allen Phillips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,800,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible