Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by…

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (original 1939; edition 2006)

by Virginia Lee Burton

Member:jrohan
Title:Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
Authors:Virginia Lee Burton
Info:Sandpiper (2006), Edition: PAP/COM, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:city life, machines, transportation

Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton (1939)

Recently added bycesdemo

Mike and his steam shovel, Mary Anne, dig, cut, and hollow out the ground for all sorts of transportation. But with progress come new machines.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 17, 2016 |
"Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" is a great book and a beloved childhood favorite. I recently re-read it as an adult. I loved it as much now as I did when I was still a kid. :) ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
Classic from before I was born. Mike and Mary Ann build roads and buildings. Now they are obsolete but Mike has a way of keeping Mary Ann from the scrap heap.

I remember watching Captain Kangaroo as he read this book. It was fun then. It is fun now. My brother loved Mary Ann and Mike. ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 4, 2016 |
I liked this book for several reasons. The main idea of this story was about a boy named Mike and his steam shovel trying to still keep their business despite newer, faster technologies. I enjoyed that the language included personification, which is a staple of Virginia Burton's writing style. She personified Mary Anne, the steam shovel which was one of the main characters in the story. By giving her a face as well as feelings, the story was more engaging. I also enjoyed the illustrations in the story. The simple colors used helped draw attention to the "key event" on each page. For example, Mary Anne was always red which draws the reader's attention to her. She is also a main character so the story sets this element up nicely. I also liked that the characters were a mix of people as well as objects. Mary Anne the steam shovel was the main character but yet she was the only object that was personified. Seeing the interactions between Mary Anne and the people of the town were fun to read and also helped add an element of fantasy to the story. I also liked that the plot was simple enough to follow but still surprised me in the end. Mike and Mary Anne agree to have the building built over top of them instead of finding a way out of the ditch, which I think will definitely surprise readers while still having a happy ending. ( )
  ygurova | Apr 11, 2016 |
This book is about a worker and his Steam Shovel. Through the book the shovel faces struggles of feeling useless because he has become outdated and bigger and better Steam shovels have arrived on the scene. This book teaches kids to push persevere through the tough times in life.
The illustrations in this book is not very colorful, but depicts the Steam Shovel working on a construction site. ( )
  jproc55 | Jan 27, 2016 |

Virginia Lee Burtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burton, Virginia Leemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, Virginia Leemain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Mike
Mike Mulligan had a steam shovel, a beautiful red steam shovel. Her name was Mary Anne. Mike Mulligan was very proud of Mary Anne.

Scholastic Reading Level: 2.9.

Mike and Mary Anne are becoming obsolete; they agree to dig a cellar for the town hall in just one day. They are successful, but they forget to leave an exit route. Mary Anne is retrofitted to be the furnace for the town hall. Suspenseful and exciting, but long for a readaloud. Themes of accepting others for who they are and what they have to offer.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395259398, Paperback)

Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel Mary Anne make quite a team. The inseparable duo digs the great canals for the big boats to travel through, cuts through the large mountains so trains can pass, and hollows out the deep cellars for the great skyscrapers in the city. But the introduction of gasoline, electric, and diesel shovels means big trouble for Mike and Mary Anne. No one wants an old-fashioned steam shovel like Mary Anne when a modern shovel can do the digging in half the time! Forced to travel far out of the city to look for work, Mike and Mary Anne find themselves in the little town of Popperville. Mike and Mary Anne make a bid to dig the cellar for the new town hall, promising the town that if they can't dig the cellar in just one day they'll accept no payment for the job. Will Mike and Mary Anne be able to complete the job? The whole town of Popperville turns out to watch. Virginia Lee Burton, author of such classic children's books as The Little House and Katy and the Big Snow, offers a touching portrait of love and dedication while commenting on the modernization that continuously shapes our lives. Hamilton's wonderful crayon drawings bring Mike and the indomitable Mary Anne to life. (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:42 -0400)

Mike Mulligan proves that, although dated, his steam shovel is still useful.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,734,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible