The Man with the Getaway Face: A Parker…

The Man with the Getaway Face: A Parker Novel (Parker Novels) (edition 2008)

by Richard Stark

Series: Parker (2)

Member:mod.marty
Title:The Man with the Getaway Face: A Parker Novel (Parker Novels)
Authors:Richard Stark
Info:

The Man with the Getaway Face by Richard Stark

My edition was a download from the library produced by Audio Go, read by John Chancer, an edition not listed on GR. It's about 300 minutes long & was worth every minute.

I kept waiting to get the first in this series, but it keeps being checked out, so I finally just listened to this one. I do know sort of what happened in the first one because of the 2 movies based on the first book. I hear the 2d, Payback with Mel Gibson, wasn't great, but I liked it.

Anyway, I had no problem fitting right into Parker's world & following his thinking. He's a perfectly self-centered SOB, no doubt about it, but I liked him. While he can be ruthless, he's also smart & doesn't look for trouble if he can avoid it. Considering the company he keeps, that's not possible, so he makes the best of things & if that means shooting a person or two, he does it without any frills or sadism, just gets the job done as if he's killing a rodent. Very cool.

I can't wait to listen to the next, [b:The Outfit|447212|The Outfit (Parker, #3)|Richard Stark|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1174855246s/447212.jpg|3849]. I'm refurbishing a bunch of wood planes - tedious, exacting hand work - & these books help make it a pleasure. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Continuing with my reading (audio) of all the Parker series by Richard Stark (Donald Westlake), this title follows Parker's run-in with the "Outfit/Syndicate". He has paid to have his face altered by plastic surgery (references to the “party” date this book somewhat and I wonder if contemporary -- read young-- readers will get some of the allusions.)

Parker’s heists are not always successful; indeed, some go marvelously awry. They are always beset with problems. Here, his caper is threatened by a double-cross from a fellow robber and by Stubbs, the surgeon’s loyal, but punch-drunk chauffeur, who has vowed to find the doctor’s killer and take revenge. (the section of the book narrated by Stubs as he tries to find the threads of his mission in his battered mind are unusual for a Parker book.) Regardless of his amoral view of life, Parker does have a code that he follows rigorously. His antagonists cross his code at their peril.

First rate noir. Read brilliantly by Michael Kramer. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
In book 2 of the Parker series, our man gets a whole new face via plastic surgery to get away from "The Outfit" since the mob unsurprisingly has a target on his back since Parker's singlehandedly hit them hard. An old heisting buddy contacts him to put together an armoured truck robbery, but Parker doesn't trust his pal's dame, a waitress beyond her prime who takes herself for both Bonnie and Clide. Our man's quickly figured out all the angles for the robbery and the inevitable double-cross required to secure the goods, when the plastic surgeon's slap-happy driver and dysfunctional right-hand man appears on the scene with claims his boss has been murdered and intent on finding the killer with threats to reveal Parker's identity. Things get messy. Then they get messier still. What more can a gal ask for? ( )
  Smiler69 | Sep 17, 2011 |
Awesome crime book! Full of great detail about an armored car heist. In fact it's the details that really get you. You feel as if this crime actually took place. The story is short and is a very fast read; I was very sorry when it ended because it was so good. My only complaint is that the final third of the book felt a little tacked on. Although I think it was more a problem owing to the construction of the tale rather than that final portion not being integral to the story.
Donlad Westlake, who wrote the Parker stories under the name Richard Stark, was Lawrence Block's favorite author. I found out about this after going to Block's webpage. Westake wrote the book Memory that is published under the Hard Case Crime imprint. Highly recommended for fans of Hard Case Crime, the book has that gritty, B Movie, 50's feel. Sort of a film noir type without the Femme Fatale. ( )
  caklr650 | Jul 12, 2010 |
I got excited when I read the first in this series (The Hunter) so immediately started this one, hoping it was as calm, cool, collected and butt-kicking justice as in the first.

It was disappointing... there was way too much discussion of the setup for the central robbery. 1/2 the novel is discussing bank rolling and buying trucks and how the doublecross is on. I got it the first time it was discussed and didn't need the detailing of every little thing that has to be in line in order to do a holdup.

And the 2ndary plot with Stubbs was just plain stupid. The story hinged on a group of people (everyone in the book except the main character and his trustworthy assistant) being so dumb that they really aren't functional. ( )
  crazybatcow | Feb 27, 2010 |
Stark’s novels are not only entertaining for what they are—midcentury noirs—but they are also better than a lot of what was coming out back then.

When the bandages came off, Parker looked in the mirror at a stranger.

You probably haven’t ever noticed them. But they’ve noticed you. They notice everything. That’s their job. Sitting quietly in a nondescript car outside a bank making note of the tellers’ work habits, the positions of the security guards. Lagging a few car lengths behind the Brinks truck on its daily rounds. Surreptitiously jiggling the handle of an unmarked service door at the racetrack.

They’re thieves. Heisters, to be precise. They’re pros, and Parker is far and away the best of them. If you’re planning a job, you want him in. Tough, smart, hardworking, and relentlessly focused on his trade, he is the heister’s heister, the robber’s robber, the heavy’s heavy. You don’t want to cross him, and you don’t want to get in his way, because he’ll stop at nothing to get what he’s after.

Parker, the ruthless antihero of Richard Stark’s eponymous mystery novels, is one of the most unforgettable characters in hardboiled noir.  Lauded by critics for his taut realism, unapologetic amorality, and razor-sharp prose-style—and adored by fans who turn each intoxicating page with increasing urgency—Stark is a master of crime writing, his books as influential as any in the genre. The University of Chicago Press has embarked on a project to return the early volumes of this series to print for a new generation of readers to discover—and become addicted to.

Parker goes under the knife in The Man with the Getaway Face, changing his face to escape the mob and a contract on his life. Along the way he scores his biggest heist yet: an armored car in New Jersey, stuffed with cash.

“Westlake knows precisely how to grab a reader, draw him or her into the story, and then slowly tighten his grip until escape is impossible.”—Washington Post Book World

“Elmore Leonard wouldn’t write what he does if Stark hadn’t been there before. And Quentin Tarantino wouldn’t write what he does without Leonard. . . . Old master that he is, Stark does all of them one better.”—Los Angeles Times

“Donald Westlake’s Parker novels are among the small number of books I read over and over. Forget all that crap you’ve been telling yourself about War and Peace and Proust—these are the books you’ll want on that desert island.”—Lawrence Block

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:57 -0400)

Master thief Parker visits a plastic surgeon in Nebraska to hide the face that the New York syndicate wants to destroy, but now, with a whole new face, Parker sets out to plan the perfect heist of an armored car, but somehow things still keep going wrong.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible