Wild Town by Jim Thompson

Wild Town (1957)

by Jim Thompson

English (3)  French (1)  All languages (4)
With this book I have completed all the Jim Thompson I could get my hands on. Bugs McKenna, an ex-con, gets to be a hotel detective and that's when the hell begins in this frontier oil boom town. ( )
  phillipfrey | Mar 26, 2014 |
Well. It was my first Jim Thompson book. I didn't like it very much though. It seemed to be... trying too hard or something.

I didn't like any of the characters and didn't care if/when any of them died. I guess it was a bit of a mystery, but since it didn't really matter to me it wasn't very engaging.

And Bugs was just annoying with his whininess and stupidity - and he was harassed all the time because...well, I don't know why but it seemed that everyone was playing him and he was the only one who was too stupid to know it.

That and some dummy criminal got to have sex with every woman in the book... yeah, uh-huh... fantasy much Mr. Thompson? ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 24, 2011 |
For some reason, local sheriff Lou Ford releases Bugs McKenna from jail and gets him a job at the nicest hotel in town as the house detective. Bugs can't stop wondering why Ford would do that for a stranger, one with a police record of violence, but he quickly begins to suspect that the smiling, drawling sheriff has a plan that needs a fall guy.

If you're like me and discovered Thompson through The Killer Inside Me, you'll be thrilled to find that he's plucked some of his characters from that amazing book and dropped them here. While this isn't a sequel, Lou Ford is again the creepy sheriff of a small Texas town and he is again engaged to sweet Amy and messing around with Joyce the Hooker ( her status is just slightly more elevated in this go-round), but the book is narrated by nervous Bugs, who just knows that somebody and everybody is out to get him.
Everything Thompson wrote oozes gritty noir. ( )
3 vote mstrust | May 26, 2011 |

The place is a frontier boom town where the graft gets collected more regularly than the trash. The hero is Bugs McKenna, slow-witted, hot-tempered man with manslaughter in his past and much worse in his immediate future. The much worse begins the moment McKenna gets promoted from ex-con to hotel detective without bothering to ask why. Because in Wild Town nobody does you any favors--and the price of advancement is always a little higher than what you can afford.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:13 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,532,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible