Through the Wild Blue Wonder (The Complete…

Through the Wild Blue Wonder (The Complete Pogo, Volume 1) (edition 2011)

by Walt Kelly (Author), Carolyn Kelly (Editor), Steve Thompson (Introduction), Jimmy Breslin (Foreword)

Member:saltmanz
Title:Through the Wild Blue Wonder (The Complete Pogo, Volume 1)
Authors:Walt Kelly (Author)
Other authors:Carolyn Kelly (Editor), Steve Thompson (Introduction), Jimmy Breslin (Foreword)
Info:Fantagraphics (2011), Hardcover, 308 pages
Collections:Comic strips, Read, Cover scans
Rating:*****
Tags:owned, read 2013, acquired 2012, Pogo, dust jacket hardcover, boxed set, purchased new, purchased from Amazon, wide, my cover

Pogo: Through the Wild Blue Wonder: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Volume 1 by Walt Kelly

A terrific series of strips dedicated to wisest citizen of the Okefenokee, Pogo Possum. This volume, and Volume Two, take the strip through 1952, before Kelly began to seriously joust with politicians of the day. There's a smidgen of that here, but these early cartoons are more about the multitude of creatures--with human characteristics we all recognize--in the swamp. It's not until the late '50's and '60's that the hilarious political caricatures take over. ( )
  alanthompson | Sep 12, 2013 |
Volume 1 of a potential 12 volume collection of all Pogo strips by Walt Kelly. This volume contains all Daily and Sunday strips from May 16, 1949 through December 30, 1950, plus the strips from the New York Star from November 2, 1948 to January 28, 1949.
Truly some of the greatest comic strips ever drawn. ( )
  tloeffler | Jan 1, 2013 |
"Pogo" has long been my favorite comic strip. It meanders between being charming, whimsical, profound, and just plain funny - sometimes at the same time. And now Fantagraphics is finally doing a complete reprinting of the strip, slated for twelve volumes. Fantagraphics took the time to do it right, tracking down many strips that I've never seen, and I'm a "Pogo" completist. The book is sumptuous; it begins with essays and biography of Kelly, moves on to the first two years of the daily strip, the wonderful Sunday strips, where Kelly was really free to stretch his artistic wings, the New York Star strips where the comic strip first appeared in that format, and a very welcome annotation that clears one or two things up. A sample profundity on pg. 146: For complicated reasons, a butterfly sees himself as a guardian angel in search of someone to protect. He sees Porky-Pine and joyfully jumps on him, only to discover why that's not advisable with porcupines. "WOW!" he says, "You is practical UNguardable--- you needs protection from you own self!" "Who don't?", replies Porky. ( )
  burnit99 | Apr 15, 2012 |
I was lucky enough to grow up on Pogo and I thank my stars for it on a regular basis. As soon as I had a debit card and a job I started buying up the old books.

The trouble is that they're not really reading copies (and of course they're not complete). Some of the reprints have good paper but a lot of the first editions are printed on that old paper that just crumbles after a while. I'll still buy the old books, because I want all the little pieces of extra art in them and the introductions by Kelly, but I am definitely collecting all of the Fantagraphics volumes.

This volume is beautiful and put together extremely well (more so than I expected). My income is very low and I'm frustratingly thrifty about most things, but this volume was worth every penny. Pogo is finally being done right. ( )
  mabith | Dec 28, 2011 |

Walt Kellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Breslin, JimmyForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harvey, R. C.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, SteveIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the first volume of Fantagraphics' second attempt at reprinting the complete run of Walt Kelly's Pogo. Please do not combine with the (much smaller) work from their first publication, as the contents are very different.

"Welcome to the Okefenokee Swamp where you're apt to meet someone you know, someone you want to know and at least a few you'll quote to your dying day. Walt Kelly launched the Pogo newspaper strip in 1948 and after but three years, his cartooning brethren awarded him their highest honor, the Reuben Award. A good chunk of that three years is contained in this book. It's the first volume of the long-desired complete reprinting of every daily Pogo strip in black and white and for the first time, every Sunday page in full color ... plus, there are many large scans from the original art showing Kelly's beautiful brush line. The book is designed by and produced under the watchful supervision of Walt's daughter, Carolyn Kelly. Here's Walt Kelly's Pogo ... a very high watermark in the history of the funny pages."--P. [4] of jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible