Mr. Popper's penguins by Richard…

Mr. Popper's penguins (original 1938; edition 1938)

by Richard Atwater, Florence Atwater, Robert Lawson (Illustrator)

Member:OWSLibrary
Title:Mr. Popper's penguins
Authors:Richard Atwater
Other authors:Florence Atwater, Robert Lawson (Illustrator)
Info:Boston : Little, Brown and Co., [1988], c1938.

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater (1938)

Anche se Mr. Popper sogna da sempre di fare l'esploratore e di partire per l'Antartide insieme al suo eroe, l'Ammiraglio Drake, nella vita è un semplice imbianchino: tutti lo conoscono come il miglior pittore della cittadina di Stillwater, e lo chiamano per rinfrescare le pareti delle loro case. Soltanto in primavera, però. D'inverno Mr. Popper va in vacanza, ma con la fantasia: rimane a casa a sognare di viaggi tra i ghiacci, immerso nella lettura di libri sul Polo Sud. Fino a che, un giorno, una sorpresa bussa alla sua porta: ha due pinne, un becco giallo ed è golosa di pesce fresco. È un pinguino, regalo speciale dell'Ammiraglio Drake. Capitan Cook - così ribattezzato dalla famiglia Popper - è il primo di una scatenata banda di pinguini che trasformeranno la regolare vita dei Popper in una girandola di avventure, dove ogni cosa diventa possibile.
  npl.mattixleggere | Apr 17, 2016 |
Media: acrylic maybe. This is a great example of a chapter book because it takes a small story for an adult and breaks it down into what a child can handle. THe story takes place in a series of steps, namely the chapters. I like this book because of the wonderful adventure with animals it takes the reader on.
  rwild13 | Apr 11, 2016 |
I remember first "reading" this book in fifth grade--our teacher read loud to us every week and she was a wonderful reader. I read it again on my own shortly after and was transported back to my youth when I read it almost 25 years later to my children. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
[Mr. Popper’s Penguins] by Richard Atwater (1939) 3,5/5

Always good with some silly and funny writing to balance the more serious novels - and [Mr. Popper’s Penquins] surely delivers with an emphasis on “silly”.

Mr. Popper receives quite unexpected several penguins and the family tries their best to take care of them - when he decides to train the penguins and take his show on the road Mr. Popper’s penguins becomes a nationwide sensation.

A lively audiobook production with sound effects thrown in.

BTW - the movie adaptation with Jim Carry is funny in its own way but the storyline is very different. ( )
1 vote ctpress | Mar 18, 2016 |

Atwater, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwater, Florencemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawson, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was an afternoon in late September.

Mr Popper receives an unexpected delivery--a real, live penguin! Soon, another penguin arrives...and another...until his home is transformed into a snowy winter wonderland. As the penguins--each with a distinct and delightful personality--contiune to turn Mr. Popper's life upside down, he decides to take this show on the road. Mr. Popper's penguins becomes a nationwide sensation.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316058432, Paperback)

More than 60 years have not dated this wonderfully absurd tale--it still makes kids (and parents) laugh out loud. Poor Mr. Popper isn't exactly unhappy; he just wishes he had seen something of the world before meeting Mrs. Popper and settling down. Most of all, he wishes he had seen the Poles, and spends his spare time between house-painting jobs reading all about polar explorations. Admiral Drake, in response to Mr. Popper's fan letter, sends him a penguin; life at 432 Proudfoot Avenue is never the same again. From one penguin living in the icebox, the Popper family grows to include 12 penguins, all of whom must be fed. Thus is born "Popper's Performing Penguins, First Time on Any Stage, Direct from the South Pole." Their adventures while on tour are hilarious, with numerous slapstick moments as the penguins disrupt other acts and invade hotels. Classic chapter-a-night fun. (Ages 5 to 10) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:14 -0400)

The unexpected delivery of a large crate containing an Antarctic penguin changes the life and fortunes of Mr. Popper, a house painter obsessed by dreams of the Polar regions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,135,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible