Mr. Popper's penguins by Richard…

Mr. Popper's penguins (original 1938; edition 1938)

by Richard Atwater, Florence Atwater, Robert Lawson (Illustrator)

Member:OWSLibrary
Title:Mr. Popper's penguins
Authors:Richard Atwater
Other authors:Florence Atwater, Robert Lawson (Illustrator)
Info:Boston : Little, Brown and Co., [1988], c1938.

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater (1938)

Ms. Hopkins read this aloud to us in 4th grade, and I loved it. The alliteration pleased me so much; I should have always known that I would become a lit major and then an English teacher. :) ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Mr. Popper wants to travel the world, especially to places where its cold. Popper writes to Admiral Drake, and he gets not only a response but a package, its a penguin! Although soon this penguin becomes lonely so he gets another, then another, then another, until he has a house full of penguins. The penguins eventually take over and Popper takes them on the road. This book was extremely enjoyable and causes lots of laughs.

Teaching Idea: teach a lesson on penguin life and how they would have to live with popper (what would need to be done)
  aehunter | May 4, 2015 |
Summary: This is a book about Mr. Popper who is a house painter. He dreams about traveling the world, especially to polar regions. He wrote a letter to Admiral Drake and one day he is listening to the radio and hears that Admiral Drake has responded to his letter and is sending a package. One day Mr. Popper gets a package in the mail and it's a penguin named Captain. Captain is lonely, so Admiral Drake sends a female penguin to keep Captain company. The two penguins end up having twelve more penguins. Mr. Popper quits his job to take care of his penguins. They start a traveling circus and that is how Mr. Popper takes care of his family.

Personal Reaction: I think this is a very cute and funny book. I wouldn't have known it was written in the '30s unless I had been looking for that information. This is a timeless book and kids all over would benefit from reading it.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) We could use this to talk about penguins, the South Pole, and other animals that live there
2) We could have our own class circus and talk about what all goes into having a circus
  Bretny | Apr 29, 2015 |
One of my favorites from childhood and still enjoyable now. Recommended, yes - funny and heartwarming. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I love this book and used it for the third grade near the end of the year. ( )
  janimar | Apr 8, 2015 |

Atwater, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwater, Florencemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawson, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was an afternoon in late September.

Mr Popper receives an unexpected delivery--a real, live

penguin! Soon, another penguin arrives...and

another...until his home is transformed into a snowy

winter wonderland. As the penguins--each with a

distinct and delightful personality--contiune to turn Mr.

Popper's life upside down, he decides to take this

show on the road. Mr. Popper's penguins becomes a

nationwide sensation.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316058432, Paperback)

More than 60 years have not dated this wonderfully absurd tale--it still makes kids (and parents) laugh out loud. Poor Mr. Popper isn't exactly unhappy; he just wishes he had seen something of the world before meeting Mrs. Popper and settling down. Most of all, he wishes he had seen the Poles, and spends his spare time between house-painting jobs reading all about polar explorations. Admiral Drake, in response to Mr. Popper's fan letter, sends him a penguin; life at 432 Proudfoot Avenue is never the same again. From one penguin living in the icebox, the Popper family grows to include 12 penguins, all of whom must be fed. Thus is born "Popper's Performing Penguins, First Time on Any Stage, Direct from the South Pole." Their adventures while on tour are hilarious, with numerous slapstick moments as the penguins disrupt other acts and invade hotels. Classic chapter-a-night fun. (Ages 5 to 10) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:14 -0400)

The unexpected delivery of a large crate containing an Antarctic penguin changes the life and fortunes of Mr. Popper, a house painter obsessed by dreams of the Polar regions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,028,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible