Where the Giant Sleeps by Mem Fox

Where the Giant Sleeps (2007)

by Mem Fox, Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator)

Mem Fox and Vladimir Radunsky did a good job creating this book. It is a fun book that features witches, pixies, and dwarfs. The first spread shows what looks to be a giant sleeping in the middle of an ocean, as well as a young boy on a boat examining the giant with a telescope. The giant resembles different parts of land. On each page readers will see different creatures sleeping on different parts of the giant. The last page shows the young boy sleeping in his own bed. I found myself rereading this book a few times before I even realized that the boy sleeping in his bed was the same boy who was examining the giant at the beginning of the book. The illustrations really made this book interesting for me. They were very detailed and creative. This is a cute book for young children, but I could not see myself reading it in my classroom. ( )
  cedoyle | Feb 20, 2016 |
This is a good book to use for the all seeing eye snap shot as the author is very descriptive on his make belief creatures! ( )
  elizabethsalinas | Nov 12, 2015 |
This book is about different creatures such as ogres and wizards sleeping at night. A little boy has a dream and as he's walking around the land he ses the animals sleeping. In the end he sees elves making the quilt that he's sleeping under.
  DaniBook | Oct 9, 2011 |
this book is about a boy dreaming that dreams a lot of random things such as ogres and pixies. the giant actually represents things such as houses and trees.
  rxs008 | Feb 17, 2011 |
Small readers will enjoy putting the details together, and Radunsky’s gouache illustrations seem to glow with starlight.

Fox, MemAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Radunsky, VladimirIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Gordon and Erica - M. F.

To Evgenia, Anna, Sasha, and Kurochka - V. R.
This is where the giant sleeps,

and here the fairy dozes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152057854, Hardcover)

Do ogres snore? Do pirates have blankies? Do fairies suck their thumbs? We may never know the answers to these questions. But if we're lucky--and very observant--we might be able to catch a glimpse of some fantastic creatures, all fast asleep.

In soothing rhyme, bestselling author Mem Fox explores the sleeping habits of our favorite inhabitants from the world of fairy tales. Vladimir Radunsky fills a dreamy, picturesque landscape with surprising and fun details. Fairies, wizards, goblins, and even children all find peace under the same bright moon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

Illustrations and rhyming text portray the different residents of fairyland and where each one goes to sleep.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,222,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible