St. Francis and the Foolishness of God by…

St. Francis and the Foolishness of God (edition 1993)

by Marie Dennis, Cynthia Moe-Lobeda, Joseph Nangle, Stuart Taylor

This truly wonderful book introduces you anew to the person of Francis--the 'truly catholic' and always contemporary saint. There will be no Christianity as usual for those who read this book."--Richard Rohr, O.F.M. "We atSojourners heartily welcom this fresh look at thePoverelloand his gentle challenge to the non-poor. Our dear friends who authored this work offer profound insights to all who find their faith and lifestyle questioned by the widening chasm between have's and have-not's."--Jim Wallis Retelling the most significant events in the life of St. Francis along with social and theological reflections for today, the authors--Catholic and Protestant--present a new picture of the ever-popular saint. Francis' way speaks most loudly to those who long to do something about inequality and poverty, about consumerism and spiritual emptiness. His spirituality combines the mystical and the earthly, liberation and faithfulness, literal poverty as well as the blessed poverty of the spirit. For everyone who has been touched by St. Francis, this book will deepen that understanding and provide a new perspective on his enduring legacy.… (more)
Member:sullijo

St. Francis and the Foolishness of God by Marie Dennis

StFrancisofAssisi | Feb 4, 2020 |
IN STORAGE
  Peacemaking | Jan 25, 2017 |
In our daily struggle to achieve higher standards of living, to satisfy our ever-increasing quest for more in this day and age, it's easy to remain distant and isolated from higher human value concerns. We're so busy living and pursuing personal goals, to many of us the rest of the world doesn't figure in our daily life in a significant manner. This work helps us find a path that brings us back to center. It blueprints a way back from the alienating pressures that surround us to finally regain inner harmony.

Initially, the reading awakens in us the desire to return to a more balanced existence, to find room in our heart and in our spirit to appreciate everything we enjoy simply by living among the non-poor of the first-world, where sanitary conditions, clean water, education, and endless comforts surround us while in the other two-thirds of the world our brothers and sisters across the globe must cope without the bare necessities that we take for granted. After we recognize our many blessings, it's a simple task to seed in us the desire to share, to give of ourselves to alleviate the plight of so many billions of people without clean water to drink or enough food to feed their family or a room to shelter their loved ones. Ultimately, the work succeeds in turning us into caring, sharing individuals eager to give of ourselves, of our wealth, and of our time, stretching a hand to the less fortunate, to consciously and conscientiously follow a path of service in a life-long journey that adds a new cherished dimension to our existence.

For its readers with eyes to see and ears to hear, the work manages to add a spiritual component to their lives as they attempt to alleviate the burden of so many with so much less in their communities, across the nation, and throughout the third-world.
(Amazon reviewer)
  societystf | Apr 22, 2016 |
A good exposition of the foolishness of God, a New Testament concept which can also be found in archetypes of Christ as the jester, clown or fool. It highlights the counter-cultural message of Christianity. ( )
  johnthefireman | Jan 28, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible