Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas…

Life, the Universe and Everything (1982)

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (3)

English (76)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (82)
What can I say? I read this book in bed each night before I fell asleep. After a few lines of reading I veered off and started to go to sleep inventing my own story from the few lines I had just absorbed. Each time I awoke with a start after dropping the book on the sleeping cat on the bed, I was not sure which was Douglas Adam's tale and which was my own. Very often I felt that my own was the better of the two.
I reckon the author wrote this book while half asleep in bed each night and the cat typed it up for him ready for the morning. I'm not really sure if I've read it or just dreamed it, but I did enjoy it. ( )
  spartan | Jun 5, 2015 |
"A magician wandered along the beach, but no one needed him." Story of my life. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book a lot less than the previous two I read in this series. For some reason, this installment made a lot less sense to me and the narrative seemed to wander more off track than in previous volumes. Nevertheless, it does make for a short, funny read. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 26, 2014 |
kept having flashes of reading this the first time 23 yrs ago. my dad's armchair, bits of 80s television, teenage life. Stunning how little impression Trillian made on me at the time...likely bc we nearly never get HER pov on things.

Where is the good, female-centric space opera? ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Adams delights in cosmic pratfalls, and if he sometimes loses track of his narrative, he more than makes up for it by confirming what many have suspected all along: "He learned to communicate with birds and discovered that their conversation was fantastically boring. It was all to do with wind speed, wingspans, power-to-weight ratios and a fair bit about berries."
added by Shortride | editTime, Peter Stoler (Nov 15, 1982)

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scutt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Sally
The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was.
[Book 3 Only] "Life, the Universe and Everything" is the title of the third in a series of novels (as well as the third in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads–so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation.

They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vice president of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-president of the galazy; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox.

How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert “universal” Armageddon and save life as we know it–and don’t know it!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads--so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the white killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation. They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler, who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vicepresident of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-head honcho of the Universe; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox. How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert "universal" Armageddon and save life as we know it--and don't know it!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,925,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible