Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas…

Life, the Universe and Everything (1982)

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (3)

English (73)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (79)
I enjoyed this book a lot less than the previous two I read in this series. For some reason, this installment made a lot less sense to me and the narrative seemed to wander more off track than in previous volumes. Nevertheless, it does make for a short, funny read. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 26, 2014 |
kept having flashes of reading this the first time 23 yrs ago. my dad's armchair, bits of 80s television, teenage life. Stunning how little impression Trillian made on me at the time...likely bc we nearly never get HER pov on things.

Where is the good, female-centric space opera? ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
The people of Krikkit have been sheltered from the knowledge of the existence of the universe all their lives. When a spaceship crash lands on their planet and alerts them to it's existence, they decide the universe will have to go. The only thing that can stop the destruction of the universe are Slartibartfast and once again Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian, and Marvin the Depressed Robot.

I really like that Arthur is a stronger character in this one. He doesn't do nearly as much standing around with his mouth hanging open, shocked at the wacky, strange, odd, bizarre universe with which he's presented (which isn't to say that he doesn't do any shocked jaw flapping, just not as much). He also learns how to fly and stands up for himself on a couple of occasions.

Trillian is also given an opportunity to prove she's awesome, which we normally don't get to see because she tends to stand in the background being quiet most of the time.

The potential risks of the entire universe being destroyed also made this one more interesting for me. So, despite the continuation of the same gags, I rather enjoyed it. ( )
  andreablythe | Dec 16, 2013 |
Another book no civilized library should be without. I wonder, If you left copies of this book in Airport departure waiting rooms, how many people would actually complete their journeys? must have reread this one 6 times. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 4, 2013 |
I enjoyed the first two books, but felt this one was a let down. I did not find it as amusing as the other books and I also found it difficult to follow the plot. I hope the next installment is better! ( )
  martensgirl | Sep 4, 2013 |
Adams delights in cosmic pratfalls, and if he sometimes loses track of his narrative, he more than makes up for it by confirming what many have suspected all along: "He learned to communicate with birds and discovered that their conversation was fantastically boring. It was all to do with wind speed, wingspans, power-to-weight ratios and a fair bit about berries."
added by Shortride | editTime, Peter Stoler (Nov 15, 1982)

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scutt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
for Sally
The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was.
[Book 3 Only] "Life, the Universe and Everything" is the title of the third in a series of novels (as well as the third in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads–so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation.

They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vice president of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-president of the galazy; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox.

How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert “universal” Armageddon and save life as we know it–and don’t know it!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:53 -0400)

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads--so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the white killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation. They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler, who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vicepresident of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-head honcho of the Universe; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox. How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert "universal" Armageddon and save life as we know it--and don't know it!… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,724,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible