Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas…

Life, the Universe and Everything (original 1982; edition 1983)

by Douglas Adams

Member:amyandroland
Title:Life, the Universe and Everything
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Pocket (1983), Paperback, 227 pages

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams (Author) (1982)

Year Zero by Rob Reid (Aula)
    Aula: Nick Carter (not the Backstreet Boy) is a copyright lawyer who's visited by aliens who claim that the earth is in danger of being destroyed due to the universal (literally) popularity of its music. Similar humor to Adams' novels, well-plotted, and well-written.

English (95)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (101)
Douglas Adam's wit and observation is superb - but I found the humor about fatigue, indifference and a nation of very nice people who would set to destroy the universe because it was DIFFERENT from what they have known, just hit a bit too close to home to be funny. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
It was fun, but the series is starting to feel "more of the same". I like the style, but somehow this book wasn't too original, and it is written like an excuse to exercise the style, not like a novel. The plot seems kind of forced and erratic. ( )
  chaghi | Oct 15, 2018 |
I listened to this with my nephew during out 8 hour car trip. He gave the highest praise he gives any audiobook - he only asked to skip ahead twice. At least one of those times was purely to annoy me, so it doesn't really count :)

Martin Freeman's narration makes a wonderful read even better. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
3.5 stars.

I have sadly yet again listened to this on audiobook and haven't been able to focus on what was happening throughout, so I can't actually say anything until I read this again, except I think out of them all, I kinda like Zaphod Beeblebrox the most, despite - or actually because - he is so stupid and full of himself.

UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Feeling pretty similar to The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. The writing quality is terrific, but I sometimes feel drunk when reading the book. Coming back to it a few days later seemingly has no bearing on whether I remember the plot or not, but I suppose that's sort of the point. ( )
  hskey | Feb 5, 2018 |
Adams delights in cosmic pratfalls, and if he sometimes loses track of his narrative, he more than makes up for it by confirming what many have suspected all along: "He learned to communicate with birds and discovered that their conversation was fantastically boring. It was all to do with wind speed, wingspans, power-to-weight ratios and a fair bit about berries."
added by Shortride | editTime, Peter Stoler (Nov 15, 1982)

Adams, DouglasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scutt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Sally
The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was.
[Book 3 Only] "Life, the Universe and Everything" is the title of the third in a series of novels (as well as the third in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads–so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation.

They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vice president of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-president of the galazy; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox.

How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert “universal” Armageddon and save life as we know it–and don’t know it!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads--so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the white killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation. They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler, who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vicepresident of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-head honcho of the Universe; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox. How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert "universal" Armageddon and save life as we know it--and don't know it!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,860,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible