Life, the Universe and Everything…

Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Trilogy (Paperback)) (original 1982; edition 1995)

by Douglas Adams

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Trilogy (Paperback))
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (1995), Paperback

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams (Author) (1982)

Year Zero by Rob Reid (Aula)
    Aula: Nick Carter (not the Backstreet Boy) is a copyright lawyer who's visited by aliens who claim that the earth is in danger of being destroyed due to the universal (literally) popularity of its music. Similar humor to Adams' novels, well-plotted, and well-written.

English (94)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (100)
I listened to this with my nephew during out 8 hour car trip. He gave the highest praise he gives any audiobook - he only asked to skip ahead twice. At least one of those times was purely to annoy me, so it doesn't really count :)

Martin Freeman's narration makes a wonderful read even better. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
3.5 stars.

I have sadly yet again listened to this on audiobook and haven't been able to focus on what was happening throughout, so I can't actually say anything until I read this again, except I think out of them all, I kinda like Zaphod Beeblebrox the most, despite - or actually because - he is so stupid and full of himself.

UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Feeling pretty similar to The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. The writing quality is terrific, but I sometimes feel drunk when reading the book. Coming back to it a few days later seemingly has no bearing on whether I remember the plot or not, but I suppose that's sort of the point. ( )
  hskey | Feb 5, 2018 |
*Spoilers* "Life, the Universe, and Everything," something that man has struggled to comprehend. After Arthur Dent came back from a prehistoric Earth for five years, he finds his friend Ford Prefect. Ford says he knows how to get to their time. Ford and Arthur found the key to get out of this time. They found an interstellar couch which they had to chase and get on to get back to their time. They end up at Lord's Cricket Ground as the match between Australia and England is being played, but before they could do anything about it many ships came from the sky, destroyed pretty much everything, stole the cricket ashes,and left. Moments later Slartibartfast and his ship the Bestromath which has the bistromatic drive which can travel interstellar distances, without all that mucking about with improbability. The ship runs of a Italian restaurant table with a water and many people siting at the table. The ship also has the room of informational illusions, which can project anything to the user. Using the room of informational illusions Slartibartfast shows Arthur and Ford the history of the planet Krikkit which were the same people who stole the cricket ashes. After the people of Krikkit found out that there was more than themselves they became xenophobes, so the "Krikkit Court" who included Judiciary Pag (or his private name that most people knew him by Zipo Bibrok 5x10^8) decided to seal Krikkit behind the Wikkit Gate. Ford said that they needed to go to a party first before they saved the universe. so they did by using a transporter, but this failed. Or at least for one of them, who was Arthur Dent. He ended up at some sort of empty corridor. he walked down it until he found a sign. it said "HELLO ARTHUR DENT" Arthur was scared of this. He kept walking and found a creepy Alter, there he met Agrajag, who he had killed many times without knowing it. His most recent version of Agrajag that Arthur had killed was a bowl of petunias that had thought "Oh no not again." with his final form he destroyed the mountain that they were in. Arthur was running down Arthur eventually tripped and notices his tote bag that he got from Athens. Then he started to fly. With his tote bag he flew right into the greatest party in the history of the galaxy. There he met Ford and Slartibartfast, but then the Krikkit battle robots came down and stole the silver bail, which was part of the key to the wikkit gate. there they also met Trillian. Then Ford, Arthur, Slarti, and Trillian went to Krikkit. Whe they made it to Krikkit, it was to late. The wikkit gate had been broken. Trillian, Arthur, Ford, and Slarti went to the gone wikkit gate. There they met Hactar (a very intelligent robot) and persuaded him to not set of the supernova bomb (a bomb that could instantly destroy the universe). Hactar destroyed himself and let Arthur and the gang go. They went back to Earth and returned the ashes to the cricket pich.
I absolutely loved this book. I mean this is the third book in the trilogy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, my favorite book series of all time. I loved it so much because of the sheer amount of humor. One of the problems I have with certain books is that they don't keep my attention, but Doug Adams keeps my attention for the entire book and even after the book comes to a close. Also it's only 154 pages long, so it isn't to long like Harry Potter with its 500 page books. I would 100% recommend this book to anyone. If you have any friends recommend the entire series to them, and they will love it. ( )
  AndrewH.B4 | Sep 20, 2017 |
This book is billed on the cover as "The Cosmic Conclusion to the Hitchhiker's Trilogy" but as we all know Adams later published So Long and Thanks for all the Fish so it's not really the conclusion. You've got to love a guy who writes four books for a trilogy. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 24, 2017 |
Adams delights in cosmic pratfalls, and if he sometimes loses track of his narrative, he more than makes up for it by confirming what many have suspected all along: "He learned to communicate with birds and discovered that their conversation was fantastically boring. It was all to do with wind speed, wingspans, power-to-weight ratios and a fair bit about berries."
added by Shortride | editTime, Peter Stoler (Nov 15, 1982)

Adams, DouglasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scutt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
for Sally
The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was.
[Book 3 Only] "Life, the Universe and Everything" is the title of the third in a series of novels (as well as the third in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads–so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation.

They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vice president of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-president of the galazy; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox.

How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert “universal” Armageddon and save life as we know it–and don’t know it!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads--so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the white killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation. They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler, who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vicepresident of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-head honcho of the Universe; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox. How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert "universal" Armageddon and save life as we know it--and don't know it!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible