No title (2007)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

English (300)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (302)
Perfect for the times you need to believe in magic and happy endings. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Excellent book. I really enjoyed this story. The magic in it was so believable and slightly humorous. I couldn't help but giggle a few times through out the story. I loved all the characters and there were plenty of families/couples to follow and everyone came together in one way or another at the end. The theme dealt with leaving, being left, coming home and new beginnings. There was some romance as well in the story which I didn't care for but it was fitting and not heavy. I can't wait to read this author's 2 other books. Highly recommended! ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Light, Charming ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
Light, Charming ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
Some of my favorite books are woman's literature with a magical theme and it is hard to not compare some of t hose favorites and with Garden Spells and not be a little disappointed in some areas. Garden Spells is a lovely story on its own. It has all the makings of a good magical realism story. Women, tough times, camaraderie, secretive pasts... yada yada... but it was lacking that something special.
I found it strange how much I loved the beginning and then how differently I began to feel the further I got into the story. I loved the voice of the women and loved watching their characters unfold. There was a real sense of anticipation as I approached the halfway mark, but it was there that things began to drag, and the characters became more stereotypical. Then, to top it off, the ending was completely predictible. SPOILER: Isn't there generally an abusive man in these stories? Doesn't he usually seek to put a serious hurtin' on someone? He usually then ends up dead or in jail.
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Sarah Addisonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,987,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible