No title (2007)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

English (272)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (274)
Claire Waverley loves her heritage, living in Bascom, North Carolina, tending her special garden and catering in her small town. Her sister Sydney, who escaped the town ten years ago, returns suddenly with secrets and a young daughter.

I loved this tale of sisters and love in a small town, with a touch of magic. Claire has a knack for creating recipes that are more than just tasty - they can rekindle good memories, help you see in the dark, make people see you as successful. Sydney never felt like she fit in - nor did she really want to be a "weird" Waverley - and she and Claire were never close as children. But as they each come to know each other, Sydney begins to find her place and Claire starts to open up to new experiences. I really felt for the characters, wanted to be their friend, wanted to hug them when they were upset, and was extremely satisfied with how everything came together. Now I have to go find something else by Sarah Addison Allen... ( )
  bell7 | Jun 22, 2015 |
One to keep on the read again stack.

I love Sarah's writing and every time I re-read Garden Spells, I feel like I'm coming home to see old friends. She paints with words, so visually, and I am an interloper eavesdropping on a magical scene.

I have read and re-read all of her books but I am absolutely smitten with this one. ( )
  chef13 | Jun 3, 2015 |
This was fabulous...I read it in 2 days! Very atmospheric setting & likeable, quirky characters. No recipes included 8-{ but there's a list of edible flowers & their properties in the back. This is her first novel...her third, "The Girl Who Chased the Moon" is equally good. She is my new favorite author! Somehow I missed "The Sugar Queen"...I'll be reading that next! ( )
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
I gave this one five stars because as I was reading it, I also had dreams set in the book. I don't normally dream about books, let alone while I'm still reading them, so this stands out as more emotionally involving than anything else I've read lately. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
I loved this book the first time I read it and reading it again did not disappoint. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Sarah Addisonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,860,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible