No title (2007)

3,7713231,382 (4.03)1 / 491

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

English (320)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (322)
A lovely, charming little novel. Reminded me of Practical Magic and Chocolat, except whereas Harris's book was about sweets, this is about herbs and magical trees. I'm excited for the sequel, which I will read some winter in the future. The characters grew on me and it was very atmospheric. I was most connected with the character of Claire, who is very organized and self-contained and afraid to let people in because she's been hurt before. She's very precise and orderly.

I feel bad I can't write more, having enjoyed it so much. I put it off for a bit, but when I came back to it I was reading it in huge chunks. Really gorgeous. I will definitely read more by this author. A sweet perfect read for this autumn. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Sep 29, 2016 |
Since I started blogging I haven't really read many adult books, but my library was doing a summer reading challenge and I felt it was time to leave the warm a fuzzy place of YA and MG books. I am so glad that I did. Garden Spells has been on my radar for a little while, I had heard about it in passing and when I saw it on the list of books for the challenge I was happy to pick it up. Little did I know that I wouldn't want to put it back down.

Garden Spells is a magical story about two sisters and their lives as they come back together after a long time past. They have both changed and they both need each other to grow any more. I really liked that aspect of the book - sister secrets, rivalry, realization that you are more alike than you thought. One sister is a planner, the other a wild one and together they balance one another but only so much can be done with a magical apple tree throwing things. That is where this book really had me hooked - yes the sisterly bonding was fun, and the relationships in the town were interesting but a lot of that had to do with the magic that the Waverley family seems to bring with it, including but not limited to the crazy tree.

I really enjoyed this book and this new to me author and hope to read more by her very soon. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Absolutely loved this book, the twists and turns that had you holding your breath as you turned the page. Wonderful story, Ms. Allen never fails to deliver enjoyment in her novels. ( )
  mcgeerhonda | Sep 13, 2016 |
Delightful. Curl up with this one and enjoy! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
An enjoyable, magical, realistic read. I loved it from beginning to end. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassen, MelodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauser, SonjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,697,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible