No title (2007)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

Recently added byRena37, ForeverMasterless, phoibee, CMDH5, private library, RenzeeLee, cubsfan3410, Madcomlib

English (321)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All (323)
This book is so good that I read it at least once a year and have urged everyone I know to read it. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Mar 25, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was cute and fun. Claire learns to overcome her fears. I like how the tree helps take care of Sydney's ex. ( )
  nx74defiant | Feb 11, 2017 |
more romance than I'd usually read but fun if you don't mind skipping a page here and there. I found the concept of the Waverley magic fascinating. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
enjoyed this audio book about the Waverly's who live in the family home, with it's magical garden in Bascom, North Carolina. Each of the Waverly women possesses a unique magic which has made them a curiosity in the town. Claire is a introverted caterer who uses enchanted herbs and flowers from her garden to prepare exquisite dishes that influence the feelings of the diners. Claire’s aunt, Evanelle, gives odd and random gifts that she knows the recipient will need in the future. Her younger sister, Sydney, has a knack for creating just the right hairstyles for her clients. Even Bay, Sydney's daughter has a special talent for knowing just where something (or someone) belongs.

Sydney and Bay return home to Bascom to escape an abusive Sadist, Bay's father, disrupting Claire’s structured life and both sisters are forced to deal with their past. Claire takes a risk with the help of her sister and gradually succumbs to the charms of the man next door and Sydney finds love with a childhood friend.

Garden Spells was a bit too predictable for me, but I still enjoyed listening to this Audio book. The same way that I can suspend disbelief when I listen to a Hallmark movie. I loved the Apple tree with a mind of its own that throws apples at unsuspecting victims.

Although this was not exactly my cup of tea, but it should please those readers who like a bit of magic, love, and happy endings.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Dec 17, 2016 |
Not my usual fare, but recommended by a friend. I enjoyed this quite a lot. A blend of romantic suspense, Southern small town comedy-of-manners, and magical realism. Good writing, cleverly understated magic, and delightfully-drawn characters. ( )
  JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassen, MelodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauser, SonjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,762,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible