Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Garden Spells (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Sarah Addison Allen

3,3372581,631 (4.02)1 / 418
Member:amysisson
Title:Garden Spells
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen (Author)
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:small magics, gardens, sisters, domestic and child abuse, family traits, North Carolina, hair stylists, read in 2012, first read 2012, non-pic, non-juv, clairvoyance, non-short, family curses and gifts

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (amberwitch)
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris (loriephillips)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (lasperschlager)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (saltypepper, Becchanalia)
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (f_ing_kangaroo)
    The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman (Sweetttart3)
    Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris (morningwalker)
    morningwalker: magical realism
    Blessed Are the Cheesemakers by Sarah-Kate Lynch (PaperbackPirate)
    The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (CelesteBremer)
    The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb (bnbookgirl)
    The Good Mayor by Andrew Nicoll (saltypepper)
    The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards (Iudita)
    The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe (wenbubo)
    wenbubo: There is a love of gardens and family ties are strong.
    The Gilly Salt Sisters by Tiffany Baker (4leschats)
    4leschats: Relationships between sisters which are strained and magic realism aspects.
    How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another charming novel about friendship/family centered around a woman with unique culinary gifts.
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (SunnySD)
    Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo by Ntozake Shange (BeckyJP)
    Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)
    The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A well-handled magical element ties these two enjoyable books together.

English (255)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (257)
Garden Spells tells the story of two gifted sisters: Claire Waverley, a successful caterer in their hometown who has a decidedly magical touch with food, and Sydney, the younger sister who left town at an early age only to run into trouble forcing her to return to Bascom, North Carolina with her six year old daughter, Bay. Sydney left her hometown in an attempt to run from what it means to be a Waverley, and the magical gifts they have, as well as from the heartbreak caused by the breakup with her high school boyfriend. While Sydney bounced from city to city, Claire remained in their childhood home where their late grandmother lived and led a quiet life of solitude until Sydney came back into her life.

Garden Spells centers around the two Waverley sisters but manages to incorporate a full cast into a small amount of pages without overdoing it. My favorite character was Evanelle, a “second or third or fourteenth cousin” that also has her own unique gift: she would get sudden urges to gift individuals with certain items which they would inevitably need sooner or later. She was a complete hoot and added a distinct sense of humor to the tale. We’re also given passages told from the points of view of love interests, other townsfolk and six-year-old Bay who possesses the gift for knowing just exactly where things belong. Garden Spells is so heartwarming and realistic seeing two sisters who had grown apart over the years reintegrate one another into their lives. On top of the wonderful magical flairs, it’s also the perfect read for fans of what I like to call “foodie fiction”. Claire, being an owner of a catering business, is often cooking and her delicious sounding masterpieces are described in intricate detail.

‘Anise hyssop honey butter on toast, angelica candy, and cupcakes with crystallized pansies made children thought. Honeysuckle wine served on the Fourth of July gave you the ability to see in the dark. The nutty flavor of the dip made from hyacinth bulbs made you feel moody and think of the past, and the salads made with chicory and mint had you believing that something good was about to happen, whether it was true or not.’

Sarah Addison Allen is one of my favorite authors and I don’t say that lightly. I can always count on her books to have a whimsical tale that will put a smile on my face and lead me to hours of enjoyment. Oddly enough, I didn’t always have such a high opinion of her. Garden Spells was actually the first book of hers I read and I honestly didn’t care for it, but after going on to read all of her works and loving each and every one of them, I knew I had to revisit this and give it another shot through a different set of eyes. The second time around went much better and I enjoyed it greatly. Why the change? I remember the first time I kept comparing it to the movie/book Practical Magic without bothering to note the differences plus it was my first foray into magical realism so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. (I also read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake around the same time and disliked it greatly so I’m thinking a re-read of that may be in order.) This is the first time I’ve gone back attempting to give a book I disliked another shot. In my mind it always seems like a waste of time because if you disliked it the first time, why would it be different the second time? Well, if I take anything from this experience it’s that it won’t be the last time. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Dec 5, 2014 |
I loved this book. Great imagery, where desire literally leaves skin hot to touch, and the smells from the kitchen welcome you "like a kiss on the cheek". The apple tree is a tree of knowing, self-knowledge, and the tree reaches out to the ones it has a message for. The house itself responds to the emotions of its inhabitants. These are well-meaning women, no evil intent here, just a recognition and (eventually) an acceptance of the gifts they have been born with. ( )
  juniperSun | Nov 16, 2014 |
In the vein of Practical Magic and Like Water for Chocolate. The Waverley women tend a special garden containing an apple tree that bears prophetic fruit and edible flowers with special powers.
  Rockett | Oct 7, 2014 |
This is my favorite of Sarah addison Allen's books! I was swept in by the magic and characters and could not put it down. Quirky, fun, and romantic. ( )
  robin_thompson | Aug 21, 2014 |
Sarah Addiston Allen is the queen of magic.

So I expected alot, although what was there ended up being somewhat different.

This is only her first try; she is still becoming who she is, which is why it's rather in the rough, I think.

It's still a very good book.

(9/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Jul 2, 2014 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:00 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,362,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible