Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Garden Spells (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Sarah Addison Allen

3,4062691,585 (4.03)1 / 451
Member:amysisson
Title:Garden Spells
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen (Author)
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:small magics, gardens, sisters, domestic and child abuse, family traits, North Carolina, hair stylists, read in 2012, first read 2012, non-pic, non-juv, clairvoyance, non-short, family curses and gifts

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

English (266)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (268)
I kept forgetting that Bay was a five year old little girl, and I think the tree was one of my favorite characters. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
A lovely book filled with magical realism and self discovery. I finally got around to reading this one, which precedes First Frost, which I read for my book club. It was fun to find out more about the Waverleys. ( )
  hoosgracie | Apr 6, 2015 |
I loved this book so much. When I first started reading it I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it as the first chapter or so doesn't really make it clear where the book is going, ie romance, mystery etc. But, once over that hurdle, I thoroughly loved it and just couldn't put it down.
I loved Allen's writing style, her use of language is just elaborate enough to evoke some beautiful images without being, if you'll forgive me, "flowery" in a book which is about a special garden and the wonderful things which grow within in.
The apple tree was a real character, I could sense its mood swings and mischievous nature from the clever way in which Allen wrote about it and the other characters, if quirky, also seemed utterly believable.
I also really loved how she didn't go down the normal route of first loves (without giving the game away) when Sydney returned home and the effect that had on the town. Claire was a bit of a prickly heroine but I think that also contributed to making her more realistic and the way the "magic" took place also not beyond the realms of possibility.
All in all a really lovely light-hearted read which, when I finished, I put down with a real sense of loss, as if I'd had to leave behind some long lost friends. ( )
  Cadiva | Apr 1, 2015 |
  Cadiva | Apr 1, 2015 |
Now I know why people love Sarah Addison Allen's books. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Sarah Addisonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:00 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,691,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible