Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Garden Spells (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Sarah Addison Allen

3,6643111,437 (4.03)1 / 486
Member:amysisson
Title:Garden Spells
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen (Author)
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:small magics, gardens, sisters, domestic and child abuse, family traits, North Carolina, hair stylists, read in 2012, first read 2012, non-pic, non-juv, clairvoyance, non-short, family curses and gifts

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

English (307)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (309)
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
I had Garden Spells for years; the first time I saw it I knew I would like it, but the time never seemed right to start reading it until today.

I loved every word I read. It is simply one of the best books I ever read. This book is a must read for people who love food, magic, family and in need of hope. This book feels as if I bought it as a gift to myself. I just loved it.

In some ways the book reminds me a lot of the movie "Practical Magic", two sisters who have magical blood running through their veins, one stays home, with a garden and acknowledge of the secrets of gardening and plants, the other is always running away trying to find love and normality but never finding them, until a guy hurts her and she needs to feel family and safety again, so she runs back home to her sister.

I wished the book was even longer!! I wish there would be a sequel!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

I wished the book was even longer!! I wish there would be a sequel!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
A wonderful novel. I love how Sarah uses magical realism. Her books are the only ones I have ever enjoyed with magical themes. My favorite things in this book were the tree with personality and Evelyn's wacky gift-giving. I highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Gorgeous, just gorgeous. Recommend to anyone who has read and loved [b:Practical Magic|22896|Practical Magic|Alice Hoffman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167371907s/22896.jpg|4030671]; although this is a little lighter and sweeter, there are a lot of similarities. One of the most striking is the lavish description of nature and the way things smell -- a sense of place that really gives the magic its proper and believable setting. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Sarah Addisonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,356,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible