Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Garden Spells (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Sarah Addison Allen

3,4802801,525 (4.04)1 / 481
Title:Garden Spells
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen (Author)
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:small magics, gardens, sisters, domestic and child abuse, family traits, North Carolina, hair stylists, read in 2012, first read 2012, non-pic, non-juv, clairvoyance, non-short, family curses and gifts

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

Recently added byINorris, kabrahamson, amanda51, sszkutak, AEnders, Jill3170, private library, LindaEdwards

English (277)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (279)
Since I started blogging I haven't really read many adult books, but my library was doing a summer reading challenge and I felt it was time to leave the warm a fuzzy place of YA and MG books. I am so glad that I did. Garden Spells has been on my radar for a little while, I had heard about it in passing and when I saw it on the list of books for the challenge I was happy to pick it up. Little did I know that I wouldn't want to put it back down.

Garden Spells is a magical story about two sisters and their lives as they come back together after a long time past. They have both changed and they both need each other to grow any more. I really liked that aspect of the book - sister secrets, rivalry, realization that you are more alike than you thought. One sister is a planner, the other a wild one and together they balance one another but only so much can be done with a magical apple tree throwing things. That is where this book really had me hooked - yes the sisterly bonding was fun, and the relationships in the town were interesting but a lot of that had to do with the magic that the Waverley family seems to bring with it, including but not limited to the crazy tree.

I really enjoyed this book and this new to me author and hope to read more by her very soon. ( )
  sszkutak | Oct 2, 2015 |
Typically I don't care for magical realism as it always feels like cheating. In this case I will make an exception in this brief romance of dysfunctional sisterhood. A magical garden ruled by a meddlesome apple tree anchors this slightly witchy family in a small southern town. There's a threatening bad guy, jealous high school rivals and romance for all. Throw this one in a beach bag for the weekend. It will likely make a good movie on Lifetime network. ( )
  varielle | Aug 30, 2015 |
I cannot think of the right word to describe this book. It is perhaps a good summer quick read, but I was not overly fond of the mysticism or maybe New Age aspects of the story. An apple tree that was cognizant of its surroundings and sent messages by tossing its fruit at unsuspecting bystanders? An elderly lady who felt compelled to give things to people that somehow they would “need?” (Although I did like that old lady – probably my favorite character in the book.) The book was OK, but I would not rush to re-read it. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I found this book completely charming. It centers around a completely dysfunctional, and somewhat 'magical', family. What I loved so much about this book is that it's told from so many different points of view that you actually get the whole story.
Claire runs a catering service in her home town and tries to live as quietly and peacefully as possible. That is until her sister, Sydney, and niece, Bay, show up on the yard. While Claire and Sydney fight the magic around them, Bay embraces it and the meddling apple tree.
The entire feel of the book is light and the magic itself mostly serves as a minor character slightly pushing the girls where they need to go. While the story feels light it most certainly isn't lighthearted when it comes to the domestic violence that eventually finds itself back in Sydney's life. It wrapped up nicely as a story and I'm not 100% convinced on a sequel but will most likely read it eventually.
  SaraEllen | Jul 3, 2015 |
Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, and I've discovered the book that way. I like author's voice and the subtle, benevolent magic.

The Waverley family is known for their talents and their magical garden. Claire, for example, has a catering service famous for her mood-changing edible flowers. Evanelle's little gifts are always useful later on. And the apple tree in the garden likes to throw apples at everyone.

Claire lives alone in the old family home, but that is going to change. There's a new neighbor moving in. Claire's sister is coming home with her daughter, fleeing from an abusive relationship. Old friends and aquaintances are showing up. ( )
  hnau | Jun 29, 2015 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Sarah Addisonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,698,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible