Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Garden Spells (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Sarah Addison Allen

3,4342721,583 (4.04)1 / 459
Member:amysisson
Title:Garden Spells
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen (Author)
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:small magics, gardens, sisters, domestic and child abuse, family traits, North Carolina, hair stylists, read in 2012, first read 2012, non-pic, non-juv, clairvoyance, non-short, family curses and gifts

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (2007)

English (270)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (272)
This was fabulous...I read it in 2 days! Very atmospheric setting & likeable, quirky characters. No recipes included 8-{ but there's a list of edible flowers & their properties in the back. This is her first novel...her third, "The Girl Who Chased the Moon" is equally good. She is my new favorite author! Somehow I missed "The Sugar Queen"...I'll be reading that next! ( )
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
I gave this one five stars because as I was reading it, I also had dreams set in the book. I don't normally dream about books, let alone while I'm still reading them, so this stands out as more emotionally involving than anything else I've read lately. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
I loved this book the first time I read it and reading it again did not disappoint. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Sometimes people who had been together for a long time got to imagining that things used to be better, even when they weren't. Memories, even hard memories, grew soft like peaches as they got older. Page 50

The Waverleys have always been thought as strange by folks in town. The special apple tree that has grown in the backyard of their home for generations is rumoured to have magical powers, along with the Waverleys themselves.
Claire and Sydney Waverley are sisters, each with their own past, their own baggage. After escaping to see the world, Sydney returns home with her young daughter in tow to find safety, security and to face a past that has travelled with her all the long years away. Now both sisters must each embrace their futures in the only way possible - the Waverley way.

Allen has a unique way of creating characters you imagine could be your next door neighbour, as real and as relatable. They are by no means perfect people, each flawed and scarred in their own way, and yet you can't help but be drawn into their conflicts and struggles. Magical realism is her forte and her stories always make me wish for our every days to be filled with that subtle sparkle, that sense of the impossible being just possible, and that the world beyond what we can't see is just as real as what we can. Garden Spells was delightful and charming in traditional Allen fashion and did not disappoint. ( )
  jolerie | Apr 26, 2015 |
I kept forgetting that Bay was a five year old little girl, and I think the tree was one of my favorite characters. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Sarah Addisonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom. I love you.
Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood.
When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
When you tell a secret to someone, embarrassing or not, it forms a connection.  That person means something to you simply by virtue of what he knows.

Flowers have powers,
Family magic runs deep,
This garden sparkles.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590324, Mass Market Paperback)

In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…

The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.

A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants—from the nasturtiums that aid in keeping secrets and the pansies that make children thoughtful, to the snapdragons intended to discourage the attentions of her amorous neighbor. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.

When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.

Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:00 -0400)

The Waverleys of Bascom, North Carolina, are a curious family--even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. When Sydney returns home with a daughter of her own, she and her sister Claire must deal with their legacy.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,215,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible