Light in August by William Faulkner

Light in August (1932)

by William Faulkner

6,60768572 (4)1 / 434

English (64)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (68)
4 stars for Will Patton's wonderful narration and for the story itself, but 3 stars for Faulkner's writing style. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
A book filled with people tortured by race and religion ( )
  M_Clark | Sep 28, 2016 |
No one else is Faulkner, or even close. That's all I have to say. ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
Christmas at an unusual time of year. Faulkner's my main man. Luminous. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Read this book! If you are looking at this review then it is most likely that you are considering reading this book, in which case you should go ahead and do so. I never read Faulkner before and had always known him to be held up as one of the greatest of American writers. So when I encountered a copy of his work for 25 cents on the discount shelf of the local library I felt I was taking an extremely mild risk. Turns out to be among the best quarters I spent in my life. I don’t want to give away the story, so I'll just say that it is very much an American story, one of its day but also one that is reverberates today. Masterfully written. Take up, and read. ( )
  BradKautz | Nov 20, 2015 |

Höbel, SusanneÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoel, SigurdTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaila, KaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kristensen, Sven MøllerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sitting beside the road, watching the wagon mount the hill toward her, Lena thinks, 'I have come from Alabama: a fur piece.'
Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders.

“Read, read, read. Read everything—trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out the window.” —William Faulkner
Light in August, a novel about hopeful perseverance in the face of mortality, features some of Faulkner’s most memorable characters: guileless, dauntless Lena Grove, in search of the father of her unborn child; Reverend Gail Hightower, who is plagued by visions of Confederate horsemen; and Joe Christmas, a desperate, enigmatic drifter consumed by his mixed ancestry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:22 -0400)

Joe Christmas does not know whether he is black or white. Faulkner makes of Joe's tragedy a powerful indictment of racism; at the same time Joe's life is a study of the divided self and becomes a symbol of 20th century man. Light in August is the story od Lena Grove's search for the father of her unborn child, and features one of Faulkner's most memorable characters: Joe Christmas, a desperate drifter consumed by his mixed ancestry.… (more)

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,786,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible