Heroes and Monsters of Greek Myth by Dorothy…

Heroes and Monsters of Greek Myth (edition 1967)

by Dorothy Evslin Evslin, Ned Hoopes Bernard

1,205910,615 (3.68)1 / 5
Retellings of the ancient Greek myths, arranged in four sections: the Gods, Nature Myths, Demigods, and Fables. Includes a brief section on words from the Greek myths which are part of the English language.
Member:the_darling_copilots
Title:Heroes and Monsters of Greek Myth
Authors:Dorothy Evslin Evslin, Ned Hoopes Bernard
Info:Scholastic (1967), Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:9a

Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths by Bernard Evslin

I was pleasantly surprised by this retelling of Greek myths. The quality of the writing was first class, neither childishly simple nor over-relishing the gorier aspects. There was plenty of humour both in the writing and in the narration of the tales.

Though I was aware of bits and pieces of the myths before listening to this, I don’t think I knew the full story of any of them, and certainly had not picked up on all the family relationships between the various gods, heroes and monsters. As a sidelight I found I was learning more about some of the entities and places that had been mentioned in Urban Fantasy books.

I might perhaps have preferred an English narrator because of the occasional American pronunciation that jarred, like saying “plated” for the word “plaited”. This is not a fault of this narrator as I’ve heard the same pronunciation by another American actor. It didn’t impact my enjoyment of the narration and I’m sure I’ll be listening to this book again, and to other books narrated by Todd Haberkorn. ( )
  Kindleifier | Nov 1, 2019 |
Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths – by Bernard Evslin. Much better storytelling than D’Aulaires, in my opinion. Rick Riordan
  TKMartinez | Oct 8, 2018 |
It's a fantastic book for greek myths, especially for a starter. The stories are simple, interesting, but well written.

The only story I don't think is developed very well is the one about Eros and Psyche. It looks wired to me: Why did Eros have to be so mad when Psyche found he is a god? And why Eros told Psyche that she is not ready for love. The reasons are beyond my imagination... ( )
  zhliu0124 | Aug 7, 2017 |
An interesting and succinct way to learn about Greek mythology. What I liked about the format is the overlap and the organization. If any particular character stands out, one can always read in depth texts (Theseus and Perseus come to mind). ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
an interesting look at the myth and folklore of the Greeks. a good read for anybody studying the Greek Gods and Goddess ( )
  cbloky | Jan 31, 2013 |
King Acrisius of Argos was uncertain in battle, unlucky in the hunt, and of fitful, flaring temper.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,790,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible