Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that…

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct…

by Sally Fallon, Ph.D Mary G. Enig (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, riverkatie, ejrines, cvbmom, sgt500e, 2wonderY, camara6, adamren, SuesCookbooks, alpenhaus

Great recipes and scientific explanations as to why going back to traditional cooking and foods is such a healthy option. ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
This book sets out to upset the traditional recommendations for food and nutrition; giving examples from tribal peoples and other studies. The authors give very detailed accounts of ingredients and nutrition. They believe that fat is not evil, but sugar is. Fermentation and enzymes are what our bodies are missing (removed from our diets by over-processed food), along with whole odd grains (because white flour turns into sugar in the bloodstream quickly), many varieties of vegetables, meats and so forth.

I have a hard time buying into all of it, or perhaps I should say that they overstated their case to the point that it sounded like hyperbole? However, the recipes are solid and tasty sounding. I am very tempted to buy a copy for that alone. I love fermented vegetables and there were many simple ways to make them in this. Actually, most of the ways to make them were the same, just switching out veggies. I appreciate the knowledge gained on various ingredients, and the ideas for continuing to cook wholesome food without waste. ( )
  MrsLee | Mar 6, 2016 |
mary suggested this book to me
  susanaberth | Aug 7, 2015 |
This is one of those books that a person is always sort of currently reading. I get scared by how bad certain things are (nuts, storing things in plastic, etc) and then excited by how good certain things are (butter, milk, game). It's a rollercoaster ride! ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is the book, lent to me by a friend, that got me serious about eating whole foods. Do yourself a favor and skip the chemicals, "diets" and hype. Eat real food.
2 vote rockinchair | Apr 10, 2012 |

Sally Fallonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mary G. Enig, Ph.DAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dearth, MarionIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murray, Kim WatersCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This well-researched, thought-provoking guide to traditional foods contains a startling message: Animal fats and cholesterol are not villains but vital factors in the diet, necessary for normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease and optimum energy levels. Sally Fallon dispels the myths of the current low-fat fad in this practical, entertaining guide to a can-do diet that is both nutritious and delicious.

Nourishing Traditions will tell you:

Why your body needs old fashioned animal fats Why butter is a health food How high-cholesterol diets promote good health How saturated fats protect the heart How rich sauces help you digest and assimilate your food Why grains and legumes need special preparation to provide optimum benefits About enzyme-enhanced food and beverages that can provide increased energy and vitality Why high-fiber, lowfat diets can cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Topics include the health benefits of traditional fats and oils (including butter and coconut oil); dangers of vegetarianism; problems with modern soy foods; health benefits of sauces and gravies; proper preparation of whole grain products; pros and cons of milk consumption; easy-to-prepare enzyme enriched condiments and beverages; and appropriate diets for babies and children.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:12 -0400)

Discusses nutritional health for twenty-first-century family members, and examines the health benefits of animal fats, health problems caused by whole grain products, food processing and preservation, and more; and includes more than seven hundred recipes.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,856,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible