Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

Nourishing Traditions

by Sally Fallon

This is one of those books that a person is always sort of currently reading. I get scared by how bad certain things are (nuts, storing things in plastic, etc) and then excited by how good certain things are (butter, milk, game). It's a rollercoaster ride! ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is the book, lent to me by a friend, that got me serious about eating whole foods. Do yourself a favor and skip the chemicals, "diets" and hype. Eat real food.
2 vote rockinchair | Apr 10, 2012 |
Despite the preachy aspect of the book that other reviewers have mentioned, this is a good book, and one that I wish more people would take to heart. As for the recipes, there is good and bad, but I appreciate the wide range. ( )
  aaduncan | May 7, 2011 |
This is the best cookbook I have ever read or owned. I can't really praise Sally Fallon's book enough to give justice to what this book really is about. I read this book cover to cover like a novel, which is not what I usually think of doing with a cookbook. There is a lot of information in the book, and there is more to learn from the sidebars, in addition to the recipes, that will help any cook develop a healthy approach to cooking and eating. There are recipes, facts about food, suggestions about the health benefits of foods, and more, presented in a two column format on each page, with the recipes alongside a wealth of information. I only have one disagreement with Ms. Fallon, and that is when it comes to chocolate. I communicated with her about this, and went so far as to send her some 99% completely delicious chocolate by Michel Cluizel so she could try it herself. ( )
2 vote rmcdow | Oct 25, 2009 |
Okay , One read , Not quite worth weight on shelf , Sold ( )
  mrsflam | Feb 19, 2009 |

This well-researched, thought-provoking guide to traditional foods contains a startling message: Animal fats and cholesterol are not villains but vital factors in the diet, necessary for normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease and optimum energy levels. Sally Fallon dispels the myths of the current low-fat fad in this practical, entertaining guide to a can-do diet that is both nutritious and delicious.

Nourishing Traditions will tell you:

Why your body needs old fashioned animal fats Why butter is a health food How high-cholesterol diets promote good health How saturated fats protect the heart How rich sauces help you digest and assimilate your food Why grains and legumes need special preparation to provide optimum benefits About enzyme-enhanced food and beverages that can provide increased energy and vitality Why high-fiber, lowfat diets can cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Topics include the health benefits of traditional fats and oils (including butter and coconut oil); dangers of vegetarianism; problems with modern soy foods; health benefits of sauces and gravies; proper preparation of whole grain products; pros and cons of milk consumption; easy-to-prepare enzyme enriched condiments and beverages; and appropriate diets for babies and children.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:32 -0400)

Discusses nutritional health for twenty-first-century family members, and examines the health benefits of animal fats, health problems caused by whole grain products, food processing and preservation, and more; and includes more than seven hundred recipes.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible