The Guardians by Ana Castillo

The Guardians

by Ana Castillo

The Guardians: A Novel by Ana Castillo
Oh my! How timely to read this view of our country's current Mexican immigration problems. I attended a book club discussion in Surfside lead by a CCU professor. She discussed and demonstrated the allegories in the book. None of us in the audience had realized them. The story followed Paradise Lost and Genesis. We noted names of the characters: Milton, the 4 archangels, Regina (queen). Many more allegories are there along with Padre Pio who is worth learning about.
Reading just the surface story highlights drug problems, extreme poverty, trafficking, and more. I will reread this one. Even though it sounds depressing, it is not. The story is engaging. You'll need to accustom yourself to Spanglish, the mix of some Spanish and English words as you read. It becomes easier as you go to find the meaning in context clues. ( )
  bereanna | Feb 24, 2017 |
Already I know not to trust one review - a person complaining about having to rack her brains and even pick up a Spanish/English dictionary once should stick to Nicholas Sparks.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disliked this book intensely, although I was predisposed to like it since I live in New Mexico. I received it as part of the Early Reviewers program in 2007 and did review at that time. But I didn't want it to show in my library. Deleting it from my library also deleted the review, which I need to keep for the Early Reviewers Program. So I'm redoing it. I don't recommend the book, however. ( )
  philipivan | Jul 6, 2014 |
Before I began this novel, I was worried that it would be too action/drama-filled and that the message regarding undocumented immigrants and the dangers they face would be lost. When I began the novel, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get into the rhythm of the mixed Spanish and English text. But The Guardians ended up being just right, both in plot and writing style. Definitely recommended. ( )
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not enjoy reading this book. Despite several attempts to read I could not complete. Thought I would like it being from S. Texas but didn't. ( )
  jsharpmd | Feb 1, 2012 |
I can fly But I want his wings I can shine even in the darkness But I crave the light that he brings I can love But I need his heart My Angel Gabriel --"Gabriel" A. Barlow and L. Rhodes
To all working for a world without borders and to all who dare to cross them.
It was raining all night hard and heavy, making the land shiver--all the bare ocotillo and all the prickly pear.

Eking out a living as a teacher's aide in a small New Mexican border town, Tía Regina is also raiding her teenage nephew. Gabo, a hardworking boy who has entered teh country illegally and aspires to the priesthood. When Gabo's father, Rafa, disappears while crossing over from Mexico, Regina fears the worst. After several days of waiting and an ominous phone call from a woman who may be connected to a smuggling ring, Regina and Gabo resolve to find Rafa. Help arrives in the form of Miguel, an amorous, recently divorced history teacher; Miguel's gregarious abuelo Milton; a couple of Gabo's gangbanger classmates; and a priest of wayward faith. Between the ruthless "coyotes" who exploit Mexicans while smuggling them to America and the border officials who are out to arrest and deport the illegal immigrants, looming threat is a constant companion on the journey. [adapted from the book jacket[

Regina tries to confront the coyotes after her nephew goes missing trying to cross the border to work in the U.S.

7 wanted4 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Guardians by Ana Castillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,754,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible