dismiss

The Guardians: A Novel

by Ana Castillo

The acclaimed author of Peel My Love Like an Onion tracks the perilous lives of Mexicans who illegally cross to the U.S. for work. THE GUARDIANS is the story of Regina, a fiercely independent widow living in a New Mexican border town. She is working as a school aide, raising her teenaged nephew Gabriel, who is in the U.S. illegally, and waiting anxiously for the return of her brother Rafa, who disappeared somewhere along the U.S./Mexico border. As days pass with no sign of Rafa, Regina and Gabriel resolve to find him and save him if he is still alive. Filled with vivid characters and her trademark warmth and humor, Ana Castillo's novel expertly and engagingly explores themes of immigration and border issues, family bonds, faith, cultural pride, and love after 50.… (more)

The Guardians: A Novel by Ana Castillo
Oh my! How timely to read this view of our country's current Mexican immigration problems. I attended a book club discussion in Surfside lead by a CCU professor. She discussed and demonstrated the allegories in the book. None of us in the audience had realized them. The story followed Paradise Lost and Genesis. We noted names of the characters: Milton, the 4 archangels, Regina (queen). Many more allegories are there along with Padre Pio who is worth learning about.
Reading just the surface story highlights drug problems, extreme poverty, trafficking, and more. I will reread this one. Even though it sounds depressing, it is not. The story is engaging. You'll need to accustom yourself to Spanglish, the mix of some Spanish and English words as you read. It becomes easier as you go to find the meaning in context clues. ( )
  bereanna | Feb 24, 2017 |
Already I know not to trust one review - a person complaining about having to rack her brains and even pick up a Spanish/English dictionary once should stick to Nicholas Sparks.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disliked this book intensely, although I was predisposed to like it since I live in New Mexico. I received it as part of the Early Reviewers program in 2007 and did review at that time. But I didn't want it to show in my library. Deleting it from my library also deleted the review, which I need to keep for the Early Reviewers Program. So I'm redoing it. I don't recommend the book, however. ( )
  philipivan | Jul 6, 2014 |
Before I began this novel, I was worried that it would be too action/drama-filled and that the message regarding undocumented immigrants and the dangers they face would be lost. When I began the novel, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get into the rhythm of the mixed Spanish and English text. But The Guardians ended up being just right, both in plot and writing style. Definitely recommended. ( )
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not enjoy reading this book. Despite several attempts to read I could not complete. Thought I would like it being from S. Texas but didn't. ( )
  jsharpmd | Feb 1, 2012 |
I can fly But I want his wings I can shine even in the darkness But I crave the light that he brings I can love But I need his heart My Angel Gabriel --"Gabriel" A. Barlow and L. Rhodes
To all working for a world without borders and to all who dare to cross them.
It was raining all night hard and heavy, making the land shiver--all the bare ocotillo and all the prickly pear.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ana Castillo's book The Guardians was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,057,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible