The Sanctuary by Raymond Khoury

The Sanctuary (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Raymond Khoury

Member:HonoluluSprite
Title:The Sanctuary
Authors:Raymond Khoury
Info:Dutton Adult (2007), Hardcover, 448 pages

The Sanctuary by Raymond Khoury (2007)

English (23)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (27)
An interesting and enjoyable read, 3.5 stars. The story moves apace and there is a small link with the Templar Knights and the Inquisiton. It is based around the search for an ancient book. Unusually most of the book is set in Beirut. If you enjoy this type of book, it will be enjoyable and has plenty of twists. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
This was a decent action-packed thriller. I liked the back and forth narration between history and modern day. Usually it distracts me, but this time, I felt like it filled in holes for the modern-day story. The story didn't really slow down much, the action was constant. It was really hard to keep track of who was the good guy" and who was the "bad guy". No one could seem to decide who they wanted to be. I like twists and turns in my stories, but you kind of needed a score card for this one. It was worth reading, though." ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Good read. However, not having a central character in the story left a lot to be desired ( )
  viral_sheth | Jul 26, 2015 |
The only thing that saved this from being a 2 star was the interspersed bits of Sebastian's life within the normal story. The book begins extremely slow, and what's more, after setting up a few characters, a shift occurs where it is almost like pressing the reset button, and having to build it all back up again. And when I say slow, I wouldnt be surprised if it didnt become somewhat of a quick read until somewhere in the 200 page numbers.

Aside from that, the plot points seemed a bit scattered and with everyone in it for one reason but then revealing another reason, and who cares for whom, it was a bit much to just keep as a straightforward thriller/mystery.

The center bit of historical science-y info was an elixir of life ad the battle of whether or not it should be relased to the general population. I found this to be a decent enough motivation to write a story, but the obsessions involved seemed a bit over the top.

Lastly, although it did not end with a typical riding off in the sunset type scene, the ending was a bit weird and I was not a fan of the direction the author was implying the characters would take. Living in 21st century world, the options that were presented would be a no brainer for me, and i think it differs from the main characters...oh well. ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
Many novels have been written on the subject of ancient relics, lost in time or guarded by a small elect group, and currently pursued by a select few with personal agendas (good and bad alike). There is no deciphering of codes in this story, but rather a cat-and-mouse race by opposing parties to be the first one to land their hands on it. As with such books, there is the (seemingly) obligatory mention of how it must not be allowed to fall into the wrong hands, and end up being used for evil. This in all makes the book a rather predictable read, but the intertwining relationships of all the characters does redeem it somewhat. This is my second read by Khoury, which I certainly enjoyed more than 'The Last Templar', which I found to be extremely dry. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |

Raymond Khouryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schmidt, RainerTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jukarainen, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lie, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a distinguished . . . scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
--ARTHUR C. CLARKE
Tempus edax, homo edacior
(Time devours; man devours even more.)
--ANCIENT ROMAN SAYING
For my amazing daughters,
my very own elixers.
No father could possibly be any prouder.
The scarpe was hardly there, but it still woke him up.
Leider war die Sprachfähigkeit des Mannes ernsthaft in Frage gestellt durch seinen Tod.
Außerdem – ich vermisse die Berge. Saubere Luft da oben. Gut für die Lunge

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451223195, Mass Market Paperback)

After centuries of destruction, one unsuspecting woman stands at the center of a conspiracy that could change the world forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

More than 250 years after a pretender marquis escapes the palazzo of his vengeful prince, an American Army unit discovers a secret lab in Baghdad where victims have been subjected to torturous experiments, a finding that places two women on the trail of an ancient mystery.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,629,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible