Chaleur du sang by Irène Némirovsky

Chaleur du sang (original 2001; edition 2008)

by Irène Némirovsky

Member:emily_morine
Title:Chaleur du sang
Authors:Irène Némirovsky
Info:FOLIO (2008), Paperback, 196 pages
Tags:toberead, xx, french, frenchlanguage

Fire in the Blood by Irène Némirovsky (2001)

English (35)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All (47)
'Do you think this is the sort of life I wanted to live? Do you think I had much choice?', 6 Nov. 2012

Light but entertaining read following a promising young Nigerian Chemical Engineering graduate Kingsley. Although he's followed his parents' advice, he finds things just aren't working out - he can't get a job without having friends on the inside. His being reliant on pocket money is causing his beloved Ola to start looking elsewhere. And when his father falls ill, he's forced to ask for money from Uncle Boniface aka 'Cash Daddy'. This uncle has made a fortune from internet scamming and soon offers his nephew a job. Will the respectable Kingsley overcome his decent upbringing?
Quite humorous in parts; the crazy scams that take in a few white recipients. Also makes you think about the background of the senders in a country where there's no welfare and you have to fend for yourself. It's not great literature but it absolutely kept me reading! ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
Concise, haunting and atmospheric story of love and missed opportunities in rural France. ( )
  aine.fin | Apr 4, 2016 |
This gets five stars because of the time and place in which she wrote it. I felt the ending unfinished. ( )
  szbrooks1 | Jan 1, 2015 |
This book has been on my TBR pile for four years; I remember finding it at The Strand bookstore in Manhattan, not long after reading Suite Francaise. Fire in the Blood is a novella, about the same length as one part of Nemirovsky's suite. For such a short book, the story develops slowly, as Nemirovsky describes a small French village and its inhabitants. For a long time it's unclear whether the narrator, Sylvestre, is an observer or an active participant in village life. But village life is filled with history and secrets, and as these are revealed Sylvestre's role becomes clear.

The preface to the French edition of this book likens it to Proust's Within a Budding Grove, which I recently read. The similarities are there, in the French landscape and the stories of young love. But in Fire in the Blood, passions smolder just below the surface, creating more tension than I experienced in Proust's work.

I'm not sure I would recommend this on its own, but if you liked Suite Francaise you'd probably like reading this book as well. ( )
  lauralkeet | Aug 16, 2014 |
About ten years ago I took a course in French Women Writers (in translation). Irène Némirovsky wasn't included, but we read a lot of Colette, de Beauvoir, Duras, and Yourcenar.

There's a particular tone of writing they all have in common -- maybe it's a fundamental to the way women write in French, or maybe it's fundamental to the experience of being a French woman (although Yourcenar immigrated to eastern Canada). I don't know. But this fit in beautifully with what I read and loved before.

I'm splitting a difference with four stars. Némirovsky had finished a draft of this novel at the time of her arrest and execution at Auschwitz. The characterization is lovely, the language is exquisite, the story itself complete and achingly beautiful -- if spare.

But I can imagine her adding a little more. As it stands, there isn't a single excess word. Every detail is vital, which is why it took me days to read such a slim volume. I had to stop and consider, and let every word sink in. I'm glad I did, because all the characters feel vivid and real to me, but I'm not quite content with the build to the ending's final turn.

I haven't read Suite Française yet, but now I'm very much looking forward to it. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Enda en litterær skatt er blitt oppdaget etter snart seksti år. Fra forfatteren av Storm i juni.

Manuskriptet til denne romanen ble nylig funnet i en støvete arkivmappe hos venner av familien Némirovsky – slik Storm i juni ble funnet i den gamle kofferten som forfatterens døtre fikk gjemt unna i 1942. Etter flukten fra Paris i 1940, til den lille landsbyen Issy l ´Eveque, må Irène Némirovsky vedvarende ha fryktet nazistene og deportering: Hun sikret altså flere skjulesteder for manuskriptene sine.

Dette er en fortelling om moral og umoral, om et mord og om kjærlighet og svik. Den åpner som et stykke kammermusikk, lyrisk og smektende, men takten blir raskere etter hvert som historiene går inn i mer dramatiske sløyfer og Némirovsky avslører ulike måter å bevare hemmeligheter på, både av den trivielle og skjebnesvangre sorten.

"En liten bok, som har nettopp den kvaliteten som kjennetegner god litteratur - den oppleves som større enn seg selv." - Turid Larsen, Dagsavisen

Irène Némirovskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lienhardt, PatrickEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Philipponnat, OlivierEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sarkar, PaulineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We were drinking a light punch, the kind we had when I was young, and all sitting around the fire, my Erard cousins, their children and I.
When older people get together there is something unflappable about them; you can sense they've tasted all the heavy, bitter, spicy food of life, extracted its poisons, and will now spend ten or fifteen years in a state of perfect equilibrium and enviable morality. They are happy with themselves. They have renounced the vain attempts of youth to adapt the world to their desires. They have failed and, now, they can relax.
When you're twenty love is like a fever, it makes you almost delirious. When it's over you can hardly remember how it happened...Fire in the blood, how quickly it burns itself out. Faced with this blaze of dreams and desires, I felt so old, so cold, so wise...
But it's like this: when I go out and mix with other people voluntarily, I agree, more or less, to get involved in their odd lives; but when I've climbed back into my hole, I want to be left in peace, so don't come bothering me with your loves and your regrets.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 030738800X, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, October 2007: As the Nazis advanced on France, celebrated writer Irène Némirovsky composed two final masterworks: Suite Française and Fire in the Blood. The first, smuggled out in a suitcase by her escaping daughters when Némirovsky was taken to her death at Auschwitz in 1942, surfaced more than 60 years later and restored her bestselling status. The other, two pages of which slipped out in that same suitcase, was thought lost--until biographers discovered the rest of the manuscript in papers given to Némirovsky's editor for safekeeping. A worthy companion to Suite Française, it follows three interwoven stories across two decades, when the hot-blooded affairs of youth threaten the cool calm of middle age. Once it has all unraveled, the last line lodges in your heart like a sliver. If only there could have been more. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:13 -0400)

At the center of the tale is Silvio, who in his younger years fled the boredom of the village for of travel and adventure, returns to live in a farmer's hovel in the middle of the woods. Much to his family's dismay, Silvio is content with his solitude. But when he attends the wedding of his favorite young cousin, Silvio begins to be drawn back into the complicated life of this small town. As the narration unfolds, we are given an intimate picture of the loves and infidelities, the scandals, the youthful ardor and regrets of age that tie Silvio to the long-guarded secrets of the past.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible