Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:srbr1212
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

English (400)  German (1)  All languages (401)
Summary:
A novel titled Number the Stars, is the first Newberry Award received by Lois Lowry in 1990. In the beginning of the novel, Annemarie and her Jewish friend, Ellen are stopped by German soldiers and questioned on their way home. The girls’ mothers were concerned about the safety of the girls. Jewish stores begin to close around the neighborhood alarming the parents that the danger for Jewish people was getting worst. Ellen’s parents decide they must escape to save their lives, however they decide to leave Ellen with Annemarie and her family. Ellen pretends to be Lise, Annemarie sister who died in an accident. Later in the novel Annemarie discovers Lise was actually killed by German soldiers. Throughout the story, Annemarie’s family concentrates on keeping Ellen safe. One day Annemarie’s mother takes the girls to her brother’s house who is later revealed to be a part of a resistance movement with Peter Nielsen. Through different events, Annemarie learns about the real reason for the Nazis wanting to “relocate” the Jewish people. Annemarie’s uncle helps small groups of people escape the Nazis by using his boat to cross families over to Sweden. During one of the escapes Annemarie has to deliver a package needed for the trip. Once the package is opened, a handkerchief is discovered by the German soldiers and Annemarie is free to go. Later, her uncle explains how the scent of the handkerchief throws off the scent of the passengers that search dogs would smell. Later in the novel, Annemarie and Ellen separate and at the end of the novel Annemarie begins to wear a necklace with the Star of David pendant on it which was worn by Ellen and hopes to one day see her friend again, especially since the Nazis soldiers are defeated and “ran” out of Denmark.

Personal Reaction:
This novel is considered a historical-fiction novel. This novel is a reminder of no matter how hard things may be in my life, if I keep my faith and be courageous, I can make it through. This novel is written from the viewpoint of ten-year old Annemarie. This was the authors first Newberry Award and four years later she won another Newberry Award for the novel, The Giver.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) Use Popsicle sticks to construct a Star of David to display for the week of the book review. 2.) Have students choose one character out of the novel and write an essay describing how the character is feeling about what is going on around them and if they were the character, how would they feel, what kinds of things would they see as they went to school, the store, or playing outside every day.
  YolandaFelton | Apr 15, 2015 |
Reread for the group Great Middle Grades read - even more intense than I remember. I'm glad it's going to be a while before we read it for the Newbery Club in the Children's Books group. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I found this chapter book to be extremely powerful and sad. I couldn't stop reading, however, because the suspense was extreme! I wanted to know what was going to happen to Ellen and the rest of her family once the German’s found out they were Jewish. I love this book because it shows how powerful such a young girl can be. Annemarie Johansen saves the ship of human cargo when safely delivering a package to her uncle, driving the ship, just in time! I found this story to be powerful because of the deep message it contains: be brave to help others. The Johansen family faced extreme fear in hoping to save Ellen and the rest of her family, and they ended up being successful. This powerful story was a wonderful read, as I couldn’t put the book down! ( )
  Milina_Moreno | Apr 14, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about the book, "Number the Stars," but enjoyed most of the story. I liked the plot of the story because it was suspenseful. For example, when the soldiers came to the Johansen's apartment to look for the Rosens. Another example is when Annmarie was delivering the packet and food to her Uncle Henrik and the soldiers stopped her. Second, I liked the Johansen family characters because they are brave and doing a lot for their friends, the Rosens. For example, the Johansen family fakes a funeral so the Rosens can travel to Sweden on Uncle Henrik's boat. This is brave because when the soldiers walked into the funeral, Mrs. Johansen spoke back to the soldiers and they slapped her and left. Without her comments, the soldiers might have opened the casket. However, I did not like the end of the story because it felt unresolved. I did not like how the reader was not informed about what happened to Ellen or her family because they were main characters of the story. The main idea of this story was the Holocaust. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion, this was a great book. I liked this book because of the way it was written. For example, it takes a while for most books to identify an issue in the story, but for this book, in the first chapter the issue was mentioned. For example, “And it meant two rifles, gripped in the hands of the soldiers. She stared at the rifles first. Then, finally she looked into the face of the solider who had ordered her to halt”. I liked how Lois Lowry didn’t wait a couple of chapters to begin the suspense, she wrote about it right away. This is helpful in keeping the readers engaged because sometimes children can lose interest if nothing happens right away. I also liked this book because it helped readers understand the difficult time that the Jews had to face in Europe during World War II. For example, the fact that the Rosens had to leave Copenhagen, their hometown, because of their ethnicity, shows you how mean the Nazis were to the Jewish people of Europe. The big ideas of this story were growing up, and family, fighting for freedom, and hopefulness. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | Apr 13, 2015 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:46 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,564,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible