Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:srbr1212
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

English (410)  German (1)  All languages (411)
Number the Stars is one of my all time favorite chapter books. This book takes place during the Holocaust but is not specifically about the events of the Holocaust. This book follows AnneMarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen through their friendship and understanding of the Holocaust. The story is more about finding loyalty and friendship through hard times rather than being just about the Holocaust. I love this book because it is told through the eyes of AnneMarie and shows how children viewed the Holocaust while it was happening. The main idea of this book is friendship and loyalty through difficult times. ( )
  zfrid | May 12, 2015 |
in this book there is a lot that is realated to me in the way i am jewish and my family had to go into hidding. this story is based in copenhagen denmark . in this story Annmarie has a friend named Ellen and she is jewish during the german ocupation Ellen and Annmarie have to leave a diffrent life with lots of diffrent things that have never happend before.I like this book because it describes what life would be for me if I was alive then .i recamend this to people that like scary books
  myevzlin | May 11, 2015 |
I read this book for the first time when I was in 6th grade and it just stuck with me ever since. I have always been so interested in learning about World War II and, and this is perfect book for a lesson on that. This story focuses on the life of Annemarie and her family's journey in trying to help her best friend, Ellen who is a Danish Jew, from being captured by the Nazis. Ellen hides out with Annemarie's family and pretends to be her older sister, who had passed away. This story shows the power of friendship and how far one girl will go just to try to save her friend's life. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This is one of my favorite books. I enjoyed how it was from the perspective of a non-jewish girl. Annemarie is part of the Johansen family, who is helping another girl named Ellen’s family. It details the hardships and obstacles the families had to go through. It showed the great lengths people will go to to protect the ones they love. It also showed the awful things that happened during that time. The story did a great job of showing all the emotions people were feeling. Many people were angry and fearful. The story shows children that even in an awful time such as the Holocaust, there were still good people willing to risk their lives for others. The book shows a powerful message about how valuable friendships are. It is important to be courageous and brave. ( )
  pnieme1 | Apr 27, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. The main reason I enjoyed this book is because I thought it was cool that it was told through the eyes of a non-Jewish girl. Annemarie's family, the Johansen's, were helping Ellen's family get to freedom in Switzerland. Through the eyes of Annemarie, you can see that it was not only a struggle for Ellen and her family, but it really took a toll on the Johansen's as well. For example, near the end of the book, they went to "visit" Uncle Henrik and people showed up with a casket and it was explained to Annemarie that inside the casket was "Great-aunt Birte." However, then one of the soldiers showed up and noticed the large group of people located in the home. Mama told the man that it was their Great-aunt Birte and that she was diseased which is why she must not open the casket. Once she says this, the soldier is grossed out and says, "You foolish woman, to think that we have any interest in seeing the body of your diseased aunt! Open it after we leave." and then the soldiers left. They opened the casket and there were materials like blankets, and etc. to give to Ellen's family on their journey to Switzerland. This shows the struggle that everyone around Ellen's family also had to go through since they were hiding them. Mama had to make a cover up about the casket to make sure that the soldier did not look inside because then he would have known they were hiding a Jewish family. I also really like how each of the titles of the chapters are a foreshadowing of what will happen in the chapter. For example, chapter 8 is, There Has Been A Death, which relates to the previous example above about the casket showing up at the house.

The big idea of this book is showing courage and bravery through dangerous times to fight for what is right and for who you love most. The Johansen's did everything they possibly could for Ellen and her family to make sure they got to freedom in Switzerland. For example, in the very beginning, right when they took Ellen in, the soldiers showed up and the Johansen's did not think twice about lying for her. They told the soldiers that she was their daughter and at first the soldiers didn't believe the family, until the father brought out a picture of Lise, their daughter that was no longer alive, as a baby because she had dark hair. ( )
  LexaGoldbeck | Apr 21, 2015 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:46 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,175,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible