Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (original 1989; edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:srbr1212
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (1989)

English (490)  German (1)  All (491)
This book is about a Jewish family from Copenhagen who escapes during World War II. The girl in the family helps rescue thousands of Danish Jews to help save them from being relocated to concentration camps. This is a great historical fiction book to teach kids about the events that happened during World War II and the Holocaust.
  Jordan.Francies | Dec 5, 2016 |
Summary: We hear so much about Anne Frank, but Number the Stars is another viewpoint of the era of the Nazi's in a different country. The main characters in this story are Ellen Rosen and Annemarie Johansen. They live in Copenhagen, Denmark. The Nazi's have invaded Denmark for 3 years and the girls are 10 years old. German Nazi soldiers patrol every corner of Copenhagen all hours of the day and night. Several incidences happen that leave both families feeling uncomfortable, such as the girls' encounter with a Nazi solider, and the Gestapo search the Johansen home looking for the Rosens. They go to Uncle Hendrik's home in northern Denmark, not that far from Sweden. Sweden is a neutral country that hasn't been invaded yet. Annemarie's uncle holds a funeral for an unheard of great aunt. Later it is revealed as a rouse to help the Jewish families escape Nazi territory. Her mom helps get the refuges to the harbor, and on the way home breaks her ankle. Annemarie and her mother realize a vital piece of the mission was left behind, and Annemarie has to find a way to get it to her uncle. After an encounter with the Nazi's she is successful. The Rosens and other Jewish refugees are able to escape to Sweden. At the end of the story, Annemarie reveals that Peter Neilson, her older sister, who passed away a week before her wedding because of her involvement in the resistance, fiancee was hanged publicly for being part of the Danish resistance. Annemarie decided to wear Ellen's Star of David necklace until she returned to Denmark.
Personal Reaction: I really liked this story because of the compassion for people who hold different beliefs than the main character. The pride that the children have in themselves, friends and their country. Those themes appeal to me.
Classroom Extension Ideas: Students can create a Storyboard That of Number the Stars. Students can illustrate chapters on a Star of David in honor of Holocaust remembrance Day. Students can research different countries in Europe to discover how each one dealt with the German Nazis and Hitler's quest to gain more land and power. ( )
  TimmyC91 | Dec 5, 2016 |
Summary-
This book is about life of a family in Denmark during the holocaust. This family had several family friends that were Jewish. The daughter is the main character in the book. She is best friends with a Jewish girl. The family had another daughter at one point that was engaged to a boy named Peter. This daughter had passed away a year before, because she was hit by a car. The story follows a family and their attempts to keep their friends safe. When word got out that the Nazis were coming to rid the town of Jews, they found a way to get their friends out, except for their daughter. She was going to stay with them. This was find except she had black hair, and they had blonde. One night, two Nazis came to the house. They wanted to know where their friends were. The parents explained that they had no idea, they just lived in the house. The Nazis wanted to see the children, so they went to look at them. The fact that one daughter had black hair didn't sit right with them. Then then family then planed to go with a brother. They arrived at his house and found out that their friend was going to be safe with her parents. The adults hid the details to plan from the kids. Then one day, people started to arrive for a family members funeral. A family member that the girls had not heard of. The girls started to question what was going on, until Nazis came to the door questioning why there was too many people there. They said they were having a funeral. The Nazis wanted them to open it, but the parents were quick to say that the deceased had a horribly contagious disease. They told them they didn't need to open it while they were there. That evening, everyone at the house traveled to the brother fishing boat. They had a dangerous and important trip ahead of them. There was a mishap and an important package was left behind. The daughter said she would be the one to take it to her mom's brother, where all the people and her friend, had went. Everything was going good until she was stopped by Nazis. They questioned why she was there, but she was quick to give her answers. They let her go and she delivered the package to her uncle. Afterwards, when her uncle came home, he told her the truth about everything. Three years later, the war had ended and all the truths about her family came out.

Personal Reflection-
This story told of a country that tried to protect its citizens. In 2016, it is hard for students to relate to that sort of life style. This book sheds brings it to life.

Classroom Extension Ideas-
1. We can make a map of Europe and color in the countries talked about in the book (Sweden, Germany, Denmark)

2. We can use this book start research for World War II. Each student can choose a topic from the war (holocaust, Nazis, American military, Europe) and write a report on it.

3. We can talk about peace between countries and people. We can break up into groups and talk about what makes peace and what causes peace to stop. ( )
  Amahoney1114 | Nov 23, 2016 |
The big idea of this book was to share about how many children and families lived and what they may have experienced during WWII.

I loved this book for many reasons. It was engaging and suspenseful and it pushes readers to think about tough issues. I loved that this book was in the point of view of Annemarie, who was a child during WWII. Because it is in her point of view, it makes it easier for young readers to relate and be engaged in the story. Throughout the story, Annemarie wasn't told many things and didn't understand a lot of things that were going on around her and this is something that a child can relate to. I can even relate to it myself because I remember many times when I was growing up, if there was something that was too mature for me to know, my parents didn't tell me at all or they told me a different version of the truth. But most of the time, the reader learns that Annemarie wasn't told for her protection.

I also loved this book because of how it broadens perspectives. Many students that live in the US don't know what it is like to live in a war zone where people come in and invade the country. This book allows many opportunities for discussion about things that students may not be able to understand on their own and discussions about maybe how it makes them feel. ( )
  cboswe2 | Oct 27, 2016 |
I enjoyed this wonderfully told story about two families in Copehagen during WWII, one family being Jewish. The little girl that narrates the story is not Jewish, so this story is a little different than others that I've read. Since this is a book written for 10-12-year-olds, I was glad that the author wrote an "Afterword" explaining her inspirations for the story & characters, and the parts of the story that were fiction and which parts really happened. This is a good one, and I highly recommend it! ( )
  TerriS | Oct 25, 2016 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, BlairNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible