Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

8,919341336 (4.12)197
Member:srbr1212
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Recently added bystrongasanoak, diego.turcato, Mel4, NicoleCenteno, cheekylala, private library

English (341)  German (1)  All languages (342)
This is a great story about frienship and bravery during the worst of times. Set during WWII and the Holocaust, Lois Lowry shows how AnneMarie saves her best friend Ellen, a Jewish girl. The book would complement any lesson regarding the holocaust or WWII. Childen and adults, alike, would be moved by this story. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Sep 16, 2014 |
Fiction, award winners, Holocaust, Jewish persons, Denmark, World War II, friendship
  OKC_Juvenile_Center | Sep 2, 2014 |
This was a good, quick read. I mostly read it because my son had to read it in school so I wanted to know what he was reading. ( )
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
Summary: Annemarie and her best friend Ellen are ten years old and they are being raisedin Denmark. The Nazi Germany has occupied their country for the past three years. Ellen's family had been hiding out and luckily there was a package where they were hidden that put off a smell where the Nazi's dogs could not smell them to find them and Annemarie was the one who had delivered the package to them. Ellen and her family were able to escape because they were hiding out on thisboat that took them safely to Sweden. Annemarie could not believe she had helpd them out. The book finishes by getting ahead two years later as World War II is ending and her best friend is able to come back home.
Personal Experience: This book kept me on my feet. Annemarie was courageous in delivering that package. My best friend is on a mission trip in Alaska all summer and i knowhow anxious Annemarie is on wanting her bestfriend to arrive back.
Classroom Extensions: I would want to reflect on World War II and the significance it had. Iw ould want to be able to have students discover information regarding this time and let them get an image in their head of how difficult these times were. They could draw out teh boat and Ellen's family as they leave.
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Read this book first, but it reminds me of Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff. ( )
  OliviaGarcia | Jul 24, 2014 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:46 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible