Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:srbr1212
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

English (366)  German (1)  All languages (367)
Lowry, Lois. Number the Stars. 1989. 137 pp. $16.99. Houghton Mifflin. 978-0-3955-1060-5. Ages 9-13.
In Denmark in 1943, 10-year-old Annemarie confronts the evils of the Holocaust and Nazism. Historically, Denmark was able to smuggle nearly every Jewish person out of the country when they found out about the Germans’ plan to bring the final solution to Denmark. Annemarie’s her best friend Ellen and her family are among those who must flee, aided by Annemarie’s family, who are members of the Danish resistance. Annemarie learns what it means to be courageous when the fate of Ellen and her family fall into her hands. A story about growing up during wartime, and choosing to do what is right despite your own fears. A beautiful and well-researched portrait of life in Denmark during World War II that does not belittle the bravery of children. HIghly recommended. Ages 9-13. ( )
  alovett | Nov 20, 2014 |
I really liked this book. This story shows the point of view of family during the Holocaust who is suffering from the German control and also assisting their Jewish friends in escaping. The main character Annemarie is extremely believable because at first she is oblivious to the prejudice of the Jews. As the years go on, Annemarie grows into a young woman who is very brave and will risk her life to help her family and friends. The main idea of this story is to provide a different point of view of the Holocaust and also to show loyalty and bravery. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Nov 16, 2014 |
Summary: Annamarie was a young girl in Denmark where the Germans were still in control. Her best friend Ellen who was Jewish and Annamarie were stopped by Germans soldiers on their way home from school one day and this alarmed the parents of Ellen so they left Ellen with Annamarie's family. Annamarie's sister was supposedly killed in an accident but come to find out she was killed by Germans soldiers because she was part of the resistance. Annamarie's uncle took the people who needed to kept in a safer place so he took them on boat until it was safe. Ellen was on that boat, but was promised to be reunited soon. Annamarie found the Star of David pendant that her older sister had been saving for Annamarie and began to wear it as a necklace for hope.

Personal Experience: I think that this book is a good insight to the hiding part of WWII. Most books talk about the actual war but this one shows how they were loyal to friends in order to hide them from the Germans.

Future Classroom Extensions: 1. I would like to watch a movie that is school appropriate about this era and give my students an insight as to what it was really like then.
2. Then give them a handout of questions for them to answer about the book and movie combined.
  LynleeRae | Nov 11, 2014 |
I found this chapter book to be quite an easy read. I was able to finish it in one sitting, not because of the length, but because the author created a story I could live in. With a vivid setting, a plot full of twist and turns as well as well-developed characters I was captivated. The first aspect of this book that caught me is the descriptive wording used to describe setting. The author’s wording created the image of a Danish street filled with life, which quickly diminished as Nazi soldiers approached. The author also filled the plot with a number of unexpected moments such as when we realized that Annemarie’s Uncle Henrik was using his boat to transport Jewish people to Sweden or when her parents explained that Leis had really been in the resistance. Finally, the author made her readers feel the emotions of the two main characters, Annemarie and Ellen. By adding detail to their friendship as the events progress, the author strengthened their bond as well as the believability of the character. These three aspects of the story help the author to clearly convey her main message, that we must all stay brave in the face of great danger. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Nov 10, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about Number the Stars. First, I liked it the perspectives of the characters were through the eyes of a Christen family. Normally, when reading about the Holocaust, the characters perspective is that of a Jewish family. Second, I did not like this book because I thought it was too short and it didn’t give enough information about the Holocaust itself, but just about a family escaping. It was very well written, however, I just think it would have been better if it had more detail.
The big idea of the story is to inform readers of what it would have been like to help a Jewish family escape from the Nazi’s. ( )
  Jillian_Magee | Nov 9, 2014 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:46 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,983,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible