Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (original 1989; edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (1989)

English (483)  German (1)  All languages (484)
I read this book when I was in fourth grade and I loved it! However, I didn't understand that this was a book about the Holocaust when I was reading it; I simply thought that it was an adventure book. As I got older and reread it, I now understand the historical content behind it. I believe that this is a great book to read to my students in the future. However, I would make sure to use effective front loading before reading the story. ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 20, 2016 |
This book gave me a thought that bravery can come at any age. ( )
  danyaa | Oct 20, 2016 |
Number the Stars, a novel by Lois Lowry was about a family that lived in Denmark during the time the Nazi’s took over. The Nazi’s had been seen on every corner and in everyone’s way. Halfway through the book, they tried to gather up all of the Jews in Denmark. Annemarie’s Ellen was a Jew and her family had been warned by priest that the Nazi’s had all of their names and addresses. So they had to hide Ellen and her family so that the Nazi’s wouldn’t get to them. Annemarie and her family bought Ellen to her Uncle Henrik’s farm so that he could take them to Sweden on his boat. Everything was so dangerous including bringing them to the house and the boat. They had to be really careful. I don’t think I could have been as brave as the people in the book were. Or the people in real life. They had to deal with a lot of hardships. I would never want anyone I love or my family to have to deal with things as such. ( )
  lasmith7 | Oct 13, 2016 |
Number the Stars is about a girl named Annemarie who is friends with a Jewish girl named Ellen. The setting takes place during World War II when the Germans invade the country of Denmark. Annemarie and Ellen are close friends and their parents are also relatively close to each other. Annemarie has a sister named Kirsti and a deceased sister named Lise. One day, Annemarie's parents decide to help smuggle Ellen and her family to her uncle's fishing hut in the countryside. Through multiple close calls, they successfully smuggle Ellen toward the countryside where Uncle Henrick mans his fishing boat. After deceiving the Nazis once again, Uncle Henrick, Annemarie's mother, and Peter help smuggle several Jews out of his house toward the docks. However Ellen's father drops the special handkerchief which Annmarie has to deliver back to Uncle Henrick before they set sail for Sweden. After one final encounter with the Nazis, Annmarie successfully delivers the handkerchief and evidently saves the lives of everyone on the boat. As it turns out, the handkerchief is a mix between rabbits blood and cocaine and is meant to numb out a dog's sense of smell. Since the Germans relied on the dog's tracking ability, they could not find the Jews. I personally liked this book because of how engaging it is from the start to the finish. The way that the author developed the ominous but hopeful setting, character interaction, and character development was truly masterful. I believe that this book would be a good book for students who may be interested in World War II. It is a great introduction for kids to learn about the injustices that the Jews had to endure during these dark times. A good writing extension for kids is to let them write a simulated letter from Ellen's POV about what happened to her family after they arrived in Sweden. It could also be reversed with kids writing from Anniemarie's POV following the events of the book. ( )
  wxv002 | Oct 7, 2016 |
As I read this book for the second time as an adult, I was captivated in a way that I was unable to be in the 5th of 6th grade. It was great to be exposed to this book at a young age, but I have gotten so much more out of it as I am older and more mature. I loved how this book taught me a lot about this horrific time period. I had not realized the involvement of the Danish people and their contribution to saving Jewish people from the holocaust. Learning that they smuggled their Jewish neighbors to safety in Sweden was very inspirational and gave me a newfound respect for the Danish. My favorite part of this book was the message that you do not need to be old or experienced to demonstrate true bravery in the face of inexplicable fear. Annemarie showed us that we can all be heroes, no matter our strength or age. The wisdom and empathy that this young girl showed should give hope and inspire all humans, especially in dealing with the inequalities and violence today, that each of us can make a difference. The message was inspiring and the imagery and beautiful writing added to this profound book. ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 6, 2016 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark
CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, BlairNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,736,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible