Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (original 1989; edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:m.monroe828
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Historical Fiction, Multicultural Books, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, Jewish, World War II, Friendship

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (1989)

English (521)  German (1)  All (522)
This book is great when introducing World War II and the Holocaust in order for students to recognize what life was like during that era. ( )
  TarynNicole | May 10, 2017 |
Summary
In 1943, Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen are ten years old, growing up in Copenhagen, Denmark. Nazi Germany has occupied their country for the past three years. Life has changed for the girls since the war has started. They have experienced food and electricity shortages. Their families have been ripped apart. They live in fear, but try to maintain a normal life.

Personal Response
I enjoy learning about experiences from the War World II. My own Oma always shares with us her stories from that time.

Extension Ideas
1. Have the children pick a passage from the story and come up with a different way they would have written it.
2. Have a round table activity with open dialogue about how to prevent racism. ( )
  April03 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Annemarie Johansen is a danish girl that experiences life as a Danish girl under the control of Germany. She is confronted by many difficulties which make her grow up to be a girl that understands more about life. In this story there are passages of how her and her family are constantly trying to help out Danish Jewish people to escape Denmark in whatever way they can. One way was by taking in one of her best friends Ellen Rosen pretending to be her older sister that passes way because they had herd that the Germans were relocating the Jewish people. Annemarie's mother takes the girls to her brother's house to help more jews escape to Sweden. In the end of the book they celebrate that Denmark is no longer under the control of Germany .
  jzsolorzano7 | Apr 24, 2017 |
Summary:

Number The Stars is a historical fiction Newbery award winning chapter book for children. The plot is centered around a young girl named Annemarie, who lives with her family in Copenhagen Denmark, during world war 2. Annemarie, who’s best friend Ellen is Jewish, learns that the Nazi’s are relocating all the Jews out of Copenhagen. Annemarie, along with a group called the resistance, risk their lives to try and hide/safely get the jewish citizens to Sweden. Ellen ends up staying with Annemarie and her family, until they are able to get Ellen on a boat. The story ends with the end of WWII, where Annemarie learns the tragic fate of her sister who was in the resistance, as well as her sister’s fiancé. Unfortunately, Annemarie never sees her best friend again.

Personal Reaction:

I have always been a history buff, and my personal favorite time period to study is WWII. When I was younger, I would read as many books as I could that were based in this time. After reading the book in fourth grade, Number The Stars became one of my favorites. After re-reading the book, the emotional message that the book caries, has new meaning. I know now what happened to the Jewish community, and the knowledge that I have, helps to further grasp the story. I had a deeper connection to Annemarie and everything that she stood for. Number The Stars is a beautifully written novel.

Extension Ideas:

Number The Stars, is a heavier book for students to read, and often times books such as this leave questions about the events. After the book, I think it is important to address the emotions that the students may be experiencing, as well as the emotions that the characters were experiencing. In a circle, we will examine the various emotions that Annemarie was feeling, and why there were important in respect character building. Next I would invite the students to write down their own feelings in their journals. Another great activity to do prior to reading the book, is to have the students examine the title of the book. Ask them to jot down what they think “Number The Stars” means. Afterwards, as a class we will see how close or how different their ideas were to what the title actually represents. ( )
  KaylaRoseDyer | Apr 23, 2017 |
Summary
This book is a story of a friendship of 10 year old girls in Denmark during the Nazi control set in the late 1930's. Extremely hard decisions have to be made by a 10 year old girl and will she defend her friend who is Jewish. Many families helped the Jewish escape the Nazi control to be saved from death while putting their lives in danger.

Personal Reaction
This story explains how the Jewish were treated during WWII. Children now I believe do not understand the horrifying effects of the Nazi control. This book explains well how the Jewish were treated during this time.

Classroom Extension
1. A lesson about the unfair treatment of the Jewish people during WWII.
2. The students can learn about the countries in WWII
3. Have a lesson of friendship and the joys and struggles in having a friend, ( )
  CarrieDann | Apr 23, 2017 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, BlairNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,376,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible