Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:m.monroe828
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Historical Fiction, Multicultural Books, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, Jewish, World War II, Friendship

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

English (338)  German (1)  All languages (339)
Summary: Annemarie and her best friend Ellen are ten years old and they are being raisedin Denmark. The Nazi Germany has occupied their country for the past three years. Ellen's family had been hiding out and luckily there was a package where they were hidden that put off a smell where the Nazi's dogs could not smell them to find them and Annemarie was the one who had delivered the package to them. Ellen and her family were able to escape because they were hiding out on thisboat that took them safely to Sweden. Annemarie could not believe she had helpd them out. The book finishes by getting ahead two years later as World War II is ending and her best friend is able to come back home.
Personal Experience: This book kept me on my feet. Annemarie was courageous in delivering that package. My best friend is on a mission trip in Alaska all summer and i knowhow anxious Annemarie is on wanting her bestfriend to arrive back.
Classroom Extensions: I would want to reflect on World War II and the significance it had. Iw ould want to be able to have students discover information regarding this time and let them get an image in their head of how difficult these times were. They could draw out teh boat and Ellen's family as they leave.
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Read this book first, but it reminds me of Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff. ( )
  OliviaGarcia | Jul 24, 2014 |
This newberry winner is a book about two little girls who were growing up during World War 2 and they have to deal with the struggles of the nazis taking over their once peaceful country. They start seeing the nazi people take away their jewish friends. But being brave they decide to hide some of their jewish friends so that they wont get taken.

This is a fantastic book that will give children insight to the troubles that those people faced during World War 2

Have the kids write why they think that the nazi people took away the jewish people
  RaymondGraham | Jul 22, 2014 |
Summary of book: Number the Stars is about a little girl during the Nazi occupation of Denmark. Annemarie's bravery during the war and helping her family and her friends is remarkable. She saves her best friend Ellen and her family and risks everything to help her friend. This story is full of suspense, heartache and most of all- bravery.

Personal reaction: I remember reading this book in school. It was one of the books that I will always remember. It's touching story made me feel so lucky to be safe and not have to worry about the things that Annemarie and Ellen did.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would love for the children to read this book in chapters every day for silent reading and have them draw a picture of what each chapter looks like to them.
2. I would ask the children that about what they think of Annemarie and why they think she would risk her life to save her friends. ( )
  Gizellecardiel | Jul 18, 2014 |
Number the stars is a story about the Nazi occupation of Denmark. Similar to Anne Frank it is told from the viewpoint of a little girl. The little girl helps her uncle smuggle many of the danish Jews out of Denmark and into Sweden which was neutral in the war.
This book is a moving story of bravery in the worst times in history. I found the book moving and inspirational. Though world war 2 is a horrible time in human existence it is a time we must all face and never forget. teaching this time period to children is important and seeing it from the angle of those who were persecuted is also important.
This would be a good book to read along side Anne Frank's diary to give another perspective. It is also a good tie in to any world war 2 history lesson. ( )
  Dyne001 | Jul 18, 2014 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:46 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,639,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible