Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (original 1989; edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:m.monroe828
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Historical Fiction, Multicultural Books, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, Jewish, World War II, Friendship

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (1989)

English (477)  German (1)  All languages (478)
This was one of my favorite books as a child and I would still recommend it for a more mature elementary school reader. While the topic may be too heavy for younger students, I know that this book that would be appropriate for 5th graders, because that is the year our class was required to read it. At ten years old, this book resonated with me and changed my perspective of the world, which is exactly what a novel should do for this age group. This book is historical fiction written about World War II, so it is culturally relevant for Jewish students and introduces a new cultural perspective for non-Jewish students. It pushes students to think about tough issues that they have never had to face. Although it is fiction, the book is very realistic and the plot is convincing. This book also sends the brilliant message that the world can be a harsh place, but things will always get better. Annemarie realized this when her childhood friend was forced to stay with her family during the Holocaust because she was Jewish and Annemarie’s family was Lutheran. At first, Annemarie did not understand why her friend was being hidden from German soldiers, but quickly began to realize that the war was turning her community into a hateful place. Two years later, the war ended. Even though many of Annemarie’s loved ones were lost or relocated, she could now finally see the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. While most children of this generation have not had to deal with a mass genocide like the Holocaust, they will all experience hard times and discrimination in life. This book helps them understand that there will always be better times ahead. The frequent dialogue and descriptive language in this story makes the plot more personal. Although elementary school children today have not lived through the Holocaust, they will feel as if they are with the characters and going through their problems with them. The characters are very well developed in this story; especially Annemarie. She went from being a naive young girl who was scared to one of the bravest characters in the story. The plot is definitely suspenseful, since it keeps the reader wondering if Annemarie’s friend Ellen would ever be caught and taken away from the family. While this chapter book is very dense for an older elementary school reader, it is a genuinely captivating story that many students should enjoy reading. ( )
  NicoleFrankel | Sep 30, 2016 |
This is an excellent historically accurate drama about a little girl named Annemarie who is 10 years old living in the time of the Holocaust. This book is a perfect read for fifth grade students, giving them someone their age to relate to and live these events through. Annemarie, along with her family and friends go through tribulations that will have your students wanting to learn more!
  jennialdridge | Sep 27, 2016 |
This story follows the 10 year old girl, Annemarie, who lives in Germany, and her best friend Ellen. It is based during the time when Jews were being relocated to concentration camps. Annemarie finds out that her best friend is a Jew. Ellen pretends to be Annemarie's sister, Lise, who died earlier in the war because of her work with the Danish Resistance. The story follows the difficulties that Annemarie and her friend Ellen face from the shut down of all the Jewish shops and the push to put the Jews in concentration camps.
This book is an absolute must read! It is so depictive of the way that the Jewish were treated in Germany and the fear that they had living under the Nazi's. This is such a great book for teaching (older kids) about the impact and fear that the Nazi's placed upon the Jews and the hardships that the Jews went through. ( )
  sehuff | Sep 26, 2016 |
This book was an excellent book it caught my eyes very much that lead me to wanting to read more. The book does have a lot of vocabulary words that may need to be defined for students. I would highly recommend this book for grades 5th and higher. I am very satisfied with the book itself, and the way the author wrote the book. This is now a new book that I will add to the collection for my future class. I am very impressed with the chapter and how the author kept me engaged throughout the entire book. Very well done on the book. ( )
  Ash13276 | Sep 13, 2016 |
As the German troops begin their campaign to "relocate" all the Jews of Denmark, Annemarie Johansen’s family takes in Annemarie’s best friend, Ellen Rosen, and conceals her as part of the family.

Through the eyes of ten-year-old Annemarie, we watch as the Danish Resistance smuggles almost the entire Jewish population of Denmark, nearly seven thousand people, across the sea to Sweden. The heroism of an entire nation reminds us that there was pride and human decency in the world even during a time of terror and war.

Winner of the 1990 Newbery Medal.

Fun book on helping those around you even if they are different and how people struggled with Nazi occupation. Great for a content area read-aloud or for talking about friendships. Spies are a tie-in if that is a student's interest. Craft activities could include lit circles, writing about the history, or looking up more information about tactics people used to evade the Nazis.
  Sara1211 | Sep 12, 2016 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, BlairNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible