Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (original 1989; edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:m.monroe828
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Historical Fiction, Multicultural Books, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, Jewish, World War II, Friendship

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (1989)

English (465)  German (1)  All languages (466)
The book, "Number The Stars." by Lois Lowry is about a girl named Annemarie and her family trying to save her friend Ellen and her family from the Nazis. At the beginning of the book you learn the story takes place in Denmark during WWII when Nazis took over Denmark. At first Annemarie thought her family was a normal family until she found out Lise, her sister, died because she was a resistance fighter. After the Nazis go looking for Ellen's family Annemarie takes Ellen with her family to her uncle Henrik's house. When got to her uncle's house they sent a message to Henrik that Jews were coming to get to Sweden. The message was there has been a death in the family. Annemarie asked her uncle why they were lying and he told her that the less you know the more brave you will be. So the night Ellen's family had to go she found her mom hurt on the ground with her uncle's (lunch). Annemarie's job was to get the (lunch) to her uncle before the Nazis stop them. On Annemarie's way however she runs into Nazis and she starts acting brave like her uncle told her to trick the Germans.

I rated this book 5 stars because I really liked this book. My favorite part is when Annemarie is stopped by Nazis and she tricks them and gives her uncle his (lunch). This book is one of my favorite Holocaust books. I liked how Lois Lowry had a equal amount of real and fake events in her story. I would recommend this book to people who like realistic fiction. I would recommend this book to people who like WWII history. I would also recommend this book to people who need a short enjoyable book. ( )
  JettJ.G1 | May 3, 2016 |
This chapter book is a great historical fiction read about World War II. I liked this book for two reasons. First, the characters are very well-developed. The story follows two girls as the war tests their friendship as one is a Jew and one is not. I also liked the theme of friendship in this novel, it sends the message that true friends are willing to risk everything for one another. ( )
  KatherineNelson | May 3, 2016 |
This was a really great book. I think that this book addressed a really hard topic in an appropriate way. I liked how the plot was exciting and how there was quite a bit of tension throughout. This kept the story lively and provoked emotion from the reader. I also liked the characters in this book. They were forced to think quickly at times, in order to survive, and they were extremely brave. The big idea in this story is that bravery and being true to yourself are an important part of living a genuine life and becoming an adult. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 30, 2016 |
I loved this book! The point of view is told through the young girl, Annemarie. This makes it more relatable for the readers because someone their age is telling them a story about what happened to them. The plot of the story is Annemarie's journey and struggles during the Holocaust and how she and her family had to hide and escape from the Nazi's. The writing is very engaging and easy to comprehend. The Holocaust is a lot for a child to take in and understand but I believe this story did an incredible job of describing just one of many peoples experiences. The main idea in the book is to inform readers about a first hand experience in the Holocaust and bravery. Annemarie was incredibly brave and risked her life to, unknowingly in the moment, save her family's lives. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
I really love this book, this is always been one of my al time favorite books. I love this book because of the education purposes this book serves. It is always nice to read about different cultures and different times. I am not Jewish and have never been I also never lived in this time period so, I would never know what it was like to live through the holocaust but, by reading this book I kind of have more of an insight. At this time Ellen could not even be outside freely without being stopped by soldiers. "Halte!" the soldier ordered in a stern voice. The German word was as familiar as it was frightening. Annemarie had heard it often enough before, but it had never been directed at her until now...And it meant two rifles, gripped in the hands of the soldiers. She stared at the rifles first. Then, finally, she looked into the face of the soldier who had ordered her to halt." Another reason I like this book is because I love the authors writing style. The author writes about such a heavy topic with such simplicity. The book is written through the experiences of a 10 year old so it would not make sense for the author to write it as if it were through the eyes of an adult for example when Ellen is explaining what the resistance is she explains it with little detail-straight and to the point like a child would do. "The Resistance fighters were Danish people—no one knew who, because they were very secret—who were determined to bring harm to the Nazis however they could. They damaged the German trucks and cars, and bombed their factories. They were very brave. Sometimes they were caught and killed." That is all she knows. The last reason why I like this book is because of the symbolism the author uses like the star of David is connected to the book title which is a biblical reference. I like how she intertwines references throughout the book. ( )
  rsheha1 | Apr 15, 2016 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, BlairNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible