Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (original 1989; edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:m.monroe828
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Historical Fiction, Multicultural Books, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, Jewish, World War II, Friendship

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (1989)

English (466)  German (1)  All languages (467)
This book is about this girl and a friend who are very close and some people think they are sisters, reminds me people think that about me and my friends. The girl has a younger sister and used to have an older sister but she died. It was around 1943 which if you don't know already it was a time where Jewish woman were called witches, and the Germans were so post to capture and get all of the families that believed in Jewish. Annemarie Johansen's friend was Jewish. So one night they had to go to Annemarie's Uncles house with her friend and wait the next day, till her friend and her friends mother and father and other Jewish people so they can go hide in the boats very early in the morning so they could go to Ireland. Thats just a little I could tell you the whole book but I don't want to spoil it. I would definitely read it again. I would recommend this book to people that like Historical Fiction, and who are in a reading level of 4th Grade and higher. You would really enjoy this book if you are. ( )
  AlexisF7 | May 23, 2016 |
The book, "Number The Stars." by Lois Lowry is about a girl named Annemarie and her family trying to save her friend Ellen and her family from the Nazis. At the beginning of the book you learn the story takes place in Denmark during WWII when Nazis took over Denmark. At first Annemarie thought her family was a normal family until she found out Lise, her sister, died because she was a resistance fighter. After the Nazis go looking for Ellen's family Annemarie takes Ellen with her family to her uncle Henrik's house. When got to her uncle's house they sent a message to Henrik that Jews were coming to get to Sweden. The message was there has been a death in the family. Annemarie asked her uncle why they were lying and he told her that the less you know the more brave you will be. So the night Ellen's family had to go she found her mom hurt on the ground with her uncle's (lunch). Annemarie's job was to get the (lunch) to her uncle before the Nazis stop them. On Annemarie's way however she runs into Nazis and she starts acting brave like her uncle told her to trick the Germans.

I rated this book 5 stars because I really liked this book. My favorite part is when Annemarie is stopped by Nazis and she tricks them and gives her uncle his (lunch). This book is one of my favorite Holocaust books. I liked how Lois Lowry had a equal amount of real and fake events in her story. I would recommend this book to people who like realistic fiction. I would recommend this book to people who like WWII history. I would also recommend this book to people who need a short enjoyable book. ( )
  JettJ.G1 | May 3, 2016 |
This chapter book is a great historical fiction read about World War II. I liked this book for two reasons. First, the characters are very well-developed. The story follows two girls as the war tests their friendship as one is a Jew and one is not. I also liked the theme of friendship in this novel, it sends the message that true friends are willing to risk everything for one another. ( )
  KatherineNelson | May 3, 2016 |
This was a really great book. I think that this book addressed a really hard topic in an appropriate way. I liked how the plot was exciting and how there was quite a bit of tension throughout. This kept the story lively and provoked emotion from the reader. I also liked the characters in this book. They were forced to think quickly at times, in order to survive, and they were extremely brave. The big idea in this story is that bravery and being true to yourself are an important part of living a genuine life and becoming an adult. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 30, 2016 |
I loved this book! The point of view is told through the young girl, Annemarie. This makes it more relatable for the readers because someone their age is telling them a story about what happened to them. The plot of the story is Annemarie's journey and struggles during the Holocaust and how she and her family had to hide and escape from the Nazi's. The writing is very engaging and easy to comprehend. The Holocaust is a lot for a child to take in and understand but I believe this story did an incredible job of describing just one of many peoples experiences. The main idea in the book is to inform readers about a first hand experience in the Holocaust and bravery. Annemarie was incredibly brave and risked her life to, unknowingly in the moment, save her family's lives. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, BlairNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,005,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible