Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars (edition 1998)

by Lois Lowry

Member:m.monroe828
Title:Number the Stars
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (1998), Edition: 1998, Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Historical Fiction, Multicultural Books, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, Jewish, World War II, Friendship

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Recently added byprivate library, jamietie, kelpieacademy, bmthielen, acleske, wdillon869, ERichardson, zsvandyk, CVL

English (413)  German (1)  All languages (414)
This was, if memory serves, one of many books on my Battle of the Books reading list back in middle school. My mother had a habit of overpreparing and buying every book on the list, even the ones I wouldn't get to. Number the Stars was one of those. It's been sitting in my "to read" pile ever since.

So, since this year has been devoted to finishing books that I've been sitting on for one reason or another, I figured it was time to give this one a go.

In a similar vein to books like The Diary of Anne Frank, Number the Stars also deals with the Nazi persecution of the Jews during World War II. Here the story is told from the perspective of a young Danish girl who must help her Jewish best friend and the girl's family escape to Sweden.

Definitely a great read, and Annemarie is a perfect protagonist for a book like this. She doesn't fully understand what the Nazis are doing, but she knows it's wrong and that they are not nice people. This means she'll do anything she can to help her friend get away from them. ( )
  regularguy5mb | May 26, 2015 |
The Danes surrendered to Hitler and for 5 years they were under Nazi rule. The 7,000 Jews were in grave danger and this is the story of how one Danish family was involved in the underground movement to protect all of the Jewish families and get them to safety in Sweden (the Danish Resistance). Annamarie's family takes in their neighbors, the Rosens, including Ellen, her friend. They claim Ellen as their daughter and ultimately work to get them aboard a ship to safely in Sweden, which was a free country.

This is an absolutely wonderful book and I must for any WW2 history unit. I think it would be a great idea to compare and contrast this book (which is fiction, but based on true accounts) to books such as the Diary of Anne Frank or The Hiding Place. It would be interesting to compare characters, setting and perspectives from 2 of the 3 of these books which all depict the horrible events of the Holocaust from different perspectives. I think the themes of bravery and courage as well as friendship are beautifully woven throughout this story and need to be explored in great depth. ( )
  zsvandyk | May 25, 2015 |
Read my review of the audiobook version of this 1990 Newbery Medalist, based upon the true story of the Danish resistance against the Nazi occupation in World War II, at http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/2007/08/number-stars-1990.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
Number the Stars is one of my all time favorite chapter books. This book takes place during the Holocaust but is not specifically about the events of the Holocaust. This book follows AnneMarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen through their friendship and understanding of the Holocaust. The story is more about finding loyalty and friendship through hard times rather than being just about the Holocaust. I love this book because it is told through the eyes of AnneMarie and shows how children viewed the Holocaust while it was happening. The main idea of this book is friendship and loyalty through difficult times. ( )
  zfrid | May 12, 2015 |
In this book there is a lot that is related to me . I am jewish and my family had to go into hiding during World War 2. The story is based in Copenhagen, Denmark . In this story, Annmarie has a friend named Ellen and, she is Jewish. During the German occupation Ellen and Annmarie have to live a different life with lots of different things that have never happened before. I like this book because it describes what life would be for me if I was alive then. I would recommend this to people that like historical books.
  myevzlin | May 11, 2015 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

This is the story about a 10 year old girl and her best friend and their struggles in Denmark during WW2. The Nazis invade and Annemarie's (the 10 year old) best friend is a Jew. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

I read this book when I was 9 years old. It was the first story that made me think about the world and how different the american lifestyle was compared to that of other countries. This book gave me a passion to learn more about the life of other people who lived during the war.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440227534, Mass Market Paperback)

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. Number the Stars won the 1990 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:46 -0400)

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,283,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible