Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

Nine Stories (edition 2001)

by J.D. Salinger

8,81173341 (4.17)2 / 88
Title:Nine Stories
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 320 pages

Nine Stories by J. D. Salinger

Zen Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets) by Peter Harris (hayfa)
    hayfa: If you liked "Teddy" I think you'll like this book. It's poetry by monks and it has all that sort of things that Teddy was talking about.

English (67)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (73)
Not having read any Salinger (no, not even Catcher) has been at the top of the holes-in-my-life-of-reading list. Now I know that to have been an even bigger hole. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Nov 10, 2015 |
I personally think Salinger wins with short stories more than novels. They were all well-written little scenes with great characters. He really excels with dialogue - it was crisp, clean, and believable, not bogged down with extra information. Salinger writes amazing children - my favorite were Teddy from Teddy and Ramona from Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut. My favorite story was A Perfect Day for Bananafish, which also had an interesting child, but mostly because the shock ending is perfect for a short story, and leaves you wondering why long after you finish. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I'm going to stick my neck out and say it: JD Salinger was a genius. Ok, that's not the most controversial opinion, but I'd never really heard of this collection so its greatness blindsided me. The characters are so believable in spite of their oddness, and their stories are heart-wrenching and -warming in equal measure. ( )
  alexrichman | Oct 7, 2015 |
To Dorothy Olding and Gus Lobrano
There were ninety-seven New York advertising men in the hotel, and, the way they were monopolizing the long-distance lines, the girl in 507 had to wait from noon till almost two-thirty to get her call through.
Life is a gift horse in my opinion.
Non-U.S. editions of J.D. Salinger's short story collection Nine Stories are titled For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories. "For Esmé – with Love and Squalor" is also the title of a single Salinger short story from Nine Stories. Please distinguish between the collection of stories (this LT work) and the separate short story having the same title. Thank you.

Published as Nine Stories in the U.S., and as For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories in the U.K. and other countries.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316767727, Paperback)

In the J.D. Salinger benchmark "A Perfect Day for Bananafish," Seymour Glass floats his beach mate Sybil on a raft and tells her about these creatures' tragic flaw. Though they seem normal, if one swims into a hole filled with bananas, it will overeat until it's too fat to escape. Meanwhile, Seymour's wife, Muriel, is back at their Florida hotel, assuring her mother not to worry--Seymour hasn't lost control. Mention of a book he sent her from Germany and several references to his psychiatrist lead the reader to believe that World War II has undone him.

The war hangs over these wry stories of loss and occasionally unsuppressed rage. Salinger's children are fragile, odd, hypersmart, whereas his grownups (even the materially content) seem beaten down by circumstances--some neurasthenic, others (often female) deeply unsympathetic. The greatest piece in this disturbing book may be "The Laughing Man," which starts out as a man's recollection of the pleasures of storytelling and ends with the intersection between adult need and childish innocence. The narrator remembers how, at nine, he and his fellow Comanches would be picked up each afternoon by the Chief--a Staten Island law student paid to keep them busy. At the end of each day, the Chief winds them down with the saga of a hideously deformed, gentle, world-class criminal. With his stalwart companions, which include "a glib timber wolf" and "a lovable dwarf," the Laughing Man regularly crosses the Paris-China border in order to avoid capture by "the internationally famous detective" Marcel Dufarge and his daughter, "an exquisite girl, though something of a transvestite." The masked hero's luck comes to an end on the same day that things go awry between the Chief and his girlfriend, hardly a coincidence. "A few minutes later, when I stepped out of the Chief's bus, the first thing I chanced to see was a piece of red tissue paper flapping in the wind against the base of a lamppost. It looked like someone's poppy-petal mask. I arrived home with my teeth chattering uncontrollably and was told to go straight to bed."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

Salinger's classic collection of short stories is now available in trade paperback.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible