I Can Fly by Ruth Krauss

I Can Fly (1950)

by Ruth Krauss

Other authors: Mary Blair (Illustrator)

a fun little girl is trying to fly like the birds. she pretends to be all the animals that can fly
1 books
  TUCC | Jul 7, 2017 |
I can fly is about a little girl who starts of saying she can fly like a bird. The next books goes on to show all of these different a animals and the moves/sounds that they make. The could be a good book for Kindergarten or 1st grade while they are learning their animals. ( )
  lasmith7 | Oct 23, 2016 |
Adorable enough that I'm glad it was re-released as a 'real' (not Little Golden) book for a new generation of kidlets. I'm just not sure that kids would take the time to / be inspired to imagine themselves as various critters, based on having this read to them. It's sort of long, and the pattern is irregular.

I prefer, for acting out, [b:We're Going on a Bear Hunt|201126|We're Going on a Bear Hunt|Michael Rosen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388274854s/201126.jpg|1974395]. That's more memorizable, funny and fun to play. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Age 4-6, ECE Classroom
  SWong4512 | Jun 1, 2014 |
(44) ( )
  activelearning | Apr 8, 2013 |

Ruth Kraussprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blair, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoekstra, Han G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Note: One of the "Little Golden Books" editions is an abridged edition.  Other editions are not.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307001466, Hardcover)

Ruth Krauss and Mary Blair's I Can Fly won awards upon its first publication in 1951 and has not lost an iota of its charm. The first pages open to a girl standing on a swing, sailing high in the sky next to a bird whose feathers match her dress: "A bird can fly./ So can I." She can moo like a cow, grab like a crab, be merrier than a terrier, and pick, pick, pick like a little chick. Krauss's simple verses capture a child at play and provide wonderful rhythms for a lively, interactive read-aloud session: "Crunch crunch crunch/ I'm a goat out to lunch," Blair's playful illustrations are as exuberant as the story-poem, with their gorgeous (truly '50s!) palette and bold compositions that cleverly juxtapose the girl with her pretend animal playmates, page by page. Arms outstretched on the loops in the playground, the girl looks just like the crab with its grabby claws; eating celery at the table she mimics the goat eating flowers outside the front door. Young children will revel in the young girl's splendidly confident outlook:"Gubble gubble gubble/ I'm a mubble in a pubble./ I can play/ I'm anything that's anything./ That's MY way." We welcome this timeless classic back into print with open arms, much like an octopus might. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:52 -0400)

A little girl at play can fly like a bird, moo like a cow, and squirm like a worm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible