Renegade's Magic by Robin Hobb

Renegade's Magic (2007)

by Robin Hobb

Series: The Soldier Son Trilogy (3)

Recently added bydflashjones, jimmaclachlan, ushatten, CurvaceousDee, private library, lindsayrg1, DVWyse

English (20)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (22)
Younger son,fantasy,weight
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Most of this book didn't impress me very much. I thought it could have been cut down a lot, and made more interesting just by that. I thought that the resolution to it all got so painfully obvious by about two hundred and fifty pages in that anything more was simply labouring the point.

But.

The last one hundred and fifty pages or so were brilliant. Things came together, and you could finally see how everything was meant to work out. Everything suddenly made a lot more sense, and characterisations -- I'm mostly referring to Nevare's father -- became much more satisfying to me. Points that I'd thought were a little irrelevant made a lot more sense and contributed to the story.

The end left me with a very positive view of the book, whereas in the middle I'd been getting quite tired of the dithering and the mistakes that kept being made. The same thing happened with [b:Forest Mage|45106|Forest Mage (The Soldier Son Trilogy, Book 2)|Robin Hobb|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170273737s/45106.jpg|2469], actually. Robin Hobb has a knack with writing satisfying endings. I think the pacing in her more recent work needs tidying up, but the end of this trilogy makes me think something I'll find as good as Farseers might be along soon. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
So disappointed in my favorite author. Just don't even bother. Annoying characters, slow plot, unconvincing magical elements. Hobb still has a magnificent knack for world-creating, but it's just not worth the read. ( )
  MorganGMac | Jul 23, 2012 |
I've finished! The last long book of a trilogy of long books. Not that it wasn't worth reading, but it felt every bit as long as it is.The main character has been split in two and is trying to reconcile the needs and wants of both his halves to try to make both of his peoples live in peace. Only he seems to be making it worse for both groups, and all his friends and family in the meanwhile.I could never really predict where the story was going. There was a resolution I longed for since book 2, and she did deliver that. But not in a way I would've expected. And I'm.. I guess I'm satisfied, but not entirely happy with the way it all turned out.But this series is notable for one reason, and worth reading for that. In this final book in particular, it has more than one obese character. And how the two societies view that and treat the people who are overweight and obese, is just very interesting.I'm glad I've finished. Especially as there are more Robin Hobb books I haven't read yet! How is it possible that she's writing these long, dense books and I can't even keep up with reading them?! ( )
  Jellyn | Jul 23, 2012 |
** spoiler alert ** I love Robin Hobb. I really do. I've reread the Farseer trilogy a couple of times over the years. I loved Tawny Man. (Not so much the Madship series, but there you are.) But this Soldier Son trilogy... It's unique; there's a lot in it that I've never seen before. The character of Nevare is also unique: starting out as a fairly typical soldier's son, he leads us through the training (that I enjoyed), then through being taken over by the magic... Neither of these is a unique plot point, but the way they are handled is. What I haven't enjoyed is Nevare's utter wishy-washiness. I understand the reasoning behind it... he was split and all. But the understanding came quite a while into the trilogy, and by then it was rather too late. "I'm going to be a true soldier's son, the best." "Well, no, I'm going to do what the magic prompts me to, because those I love could be hurt." "No! I will follow my dream and go be an officer." "The dreams are telling me to do what the magic tells me to, and I'd better. And I'm too fat." "I'll lose weight!" "No, I won't..." And so on. I wanted to knock his heads together.

Reason number two that I doubt I'll read this trilogy again is that it's very nearly humorless. I'm not much for the guffaw-a-minute spoof books, but halfway through the first book of this one I realized that the outlook was very straight-faced, almost throughout. So, in fact, is Nevare. I mean, of course his life is tough, but if I've learned anything in the past couple of years, even in the midst of chaos there is the occasional laugh.

Reason number three is almost cosmetic, I suppose, but it's still strong: the jacket art for Renegade's Magic. Don't get me wrong - it's beautiful. But it is one of the most spoilerific jackets I've ever seen. Only a couple of chapters in, Nevare has a realization of what could end the whole war between the Gernians and the Specks, and immediately stifles the thought for fear Soldier's Boy will "hear" it... and suddenly it's very very clear where the climax will go. Without that really very nice painting, there would at least be some doubt. There isn't. Oh well.

It's quality writing, as always from Robin Hobb, consistent and solid (though the grammar goes surprisingly wonky at times). I'm just not enjoying it as much as some of her other work. I won't trade it in - but I doubt I'll read it again. ( )
  Stewartry | Jul 11, 2011 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, JackieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never spoke up for myself at my court martial.

The final book in the brand new trilogy from the author of the Tawny Man and Farseer trilogies, following on from the bestselling Shaman’s Crossing and Forest Mage.The people of Getty's town remember the death of their cemetery soldier vividly. They remember believing him guilty of unspeakable crimes, condemning him, and then watching as other men of his unit beat him until he no longer drew breath.But Nevare Burvelle didn't die that day, though everyone believes they saw it happen. He was cornered by a power far more intractable than any angry mob.When he was a boy, the magic of the Specks – the dapple-skinned tribes of the frontier forests – claimed Nevare as a saviour; severing his soul in two, naming his stolen half Soldier's Boy and shaping him into a weapon to halt the Gernian expansion into their lands and save their beloved ancestor trees.Until now Nevare has defied the magic, unable to accept his traitorous fate. But the magic has won: it has extinguished his once golden future, devastated his family and has now turned his own people against him. Faced with endangering the only loved-ones he has left, Nevare has no choice but to surrender to its will and enter the forest.But surrendering to his Speck destiny is only the beginning of his trials. Before he submits completely, Nevare makes one desperate last attempt to deter the Gernians from the Barrier Mountains without causing them harm. But the magic accepts no compromise. Exhausted, Nevare can no longer suppress his traitorous Speck self, Soldiers Boy. Losing control, he becomes a prisoner in his own body; able only to watch helplessly as his other half takesSoldier's Boy is determined to stop the Gernian expansion at all cost, and unlike Nevare, he has no love, nor sympathy for his spirit-twin's world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:45 -0400)

"Loyal, privileged, and brave, Nevare Burvelle proudly embraced his preordained role as soldier in the service of the King of Gernia - unaware of the strange turns his life would ultimately take. Exposed to a plague of enemy sorcery that felled many of his compatriots, he prevailed, but at a terrible cost to his soul, body, and heart. Now he stands wrongly accused of unspeakable crimes - including murder, the most heinous of them all." "Condemned by his brother soldiers and sentenced to death, Nevare has no option but to escape. Suddenly he is an outcast and a fugitive - a hostage to the Speck magic that shackles him to a savage alter ego who would destroy everything Nevare holds dear. With nowhere to turn - except, perhaps, to the Speck woman Lisana, the enemy whom he loves - he is mired in soul-rending despair. But from out of the darkness comes a bright spark of hope.""Perhaps, somehow, the hated magic that has long abused Nevare can be used by him instead. Could he not learn to wield this mighty weapon for his own purposes rather than be enslaved by it? But down what perilous road will this desperate new quest lead him? And what will be the outcome and the ultimate new incarnation of Nevare Burvelle?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Eos

An edition of this book was published by Eos.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,145,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible