Renegade's Magic by Robin Hobb

Renegade's Magic (2007)

by Robin Hobb

Series: The Soldier Son Trilogy (3)

English (21)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (24)
This was, in many ways, a highly imaginative, good story. Not excellent because of its flaws, but the world & the problem were certainly outstanding & that's why she got 3 stars from an otherwise 2 star, at best, job of writing. Modeled after the European expansion across North America, yet set in a fantasy world with very interesting magic. A man caught between the 2 worlds loves/hates them both & must make them come to an agreement. He's literally a man divided by this war, yet stuck in one body. The whole fat thing is perfect.

This was the final book in the trilogy & I'm glad it's over. It could have been an excellent stand alone if Hobb had the skills of Zelazny or Delaney. As it is, she seems to think her readers are complete idiots & needed every point mentioned & then repeated, often multiple times. That sort of thing doesn't bug me quite as much when reading as I can skim it. Listening to it is pure torture, though. At times, it read like a serialized story giving a synopsis of the back story just in case the reader hadn't read the earlier issue. Yes, it was that bad.

She finally told us why Nevare (sp? the hero.) is such an idiot, in case it wasn't obvious, but he remains one. This device was used to explain, in excruciating, repetitious detail, every move that was made. As it was, it wasn't done well enough to be convincing & it didn't help the ending any. It would have been a better book if it had ended about halfway through with his death. The whole balance thing wasn't worth the extra page count & always felt as if it was tacked on afterward.

Some of this fluff isn't all Hobb's fault. It can't be. A decent editor would have called her on it. Since they didn't & I hear they want series now, I wonder if Hobb wasn't pushed into expanding a good story too far. If so, I hope she resists in the future but from what I've seen, she seems partial to trilogies, so this is probably all I'll ever read of Hobb's work. I had hoped this was an early trilogy, but she'd been published for a decade when this came out so I won't subject myself to her writing again, especially not as an audio book. Reading a book aloud shows off the writing very well. Good writing becomes almost lyrical, but each mistake or bit of repetition is painfully obvious.

This was an audio book by Recorded Books, read by John Keating. He'll never be my favorite reader, but isn't bad. His British accent for regular narration isn't bad, but everyone except Nevare & his family spoke with a Scottish accent. There was no difference between a Speck & an outlander Gurnian. Kind of weird, but not too bad to listen to for me.
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Younger son,fantasy,weight
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Most of this book didn't impress me very much. I thought it could have been cut down a lot, and made more interesting just by that. I thought that the resolution to it all got so painfully obvious by about two hundred and fifty pages in that anything more was simply labouring the point.

But.

The last one hundred and fifty pages or so were brilliant. Things came together, and you could finally see how everything was meant to work out. Everything suddenly made a lot more sense, and characterisations -- I'm mostly referring to Nevare's father -- became much more satisfying to me. Points that I'd thought were a little irrelevant made a lot more sense and contributed to the story.

The end left me with a very positive view of the book, whereas in the middle I'd been getting quite tired of the dithering and the mistakes that kept being made. The same thing happened with [b:Forest Mage|45106|Forest Mage (The Soldier Son Trilogy, Book 2)|Robin Hobb|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170273737s/45106.jpg|2469], actually. Robin Hobb has a knack with writing satisfying endings. I think the pacing in her more recent work needs tidying up, but the end of this trilogy makes me think something I'll find as good as Farseers might be along soon. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
So disappointed in my favorite author. Just don't even bother. Annoying characters, slow plot, unconvincing magical elements. Hobb still has a magnificent knack for world-creating, but it's just not worth the read. ( )
  MorganGMac | Jul 23, 2012 |
I've finished! The last long book of a trilogy of long books. Not that it wasn't worth reading, but it felt every bit as long as it is.The main character has been split in two and is trying to reconcile the needs and wants of both his halves to try to make both of his peoples live in peace. Only he seems to be making it worse for both groups, and all his friends and family in the meanwhile.I could never really predict where the story was going. There was a resolution I longed for since book 2, and she did deliver that. But not in a way I would've expected. And I'm.. I guess I'm satisfied, but not entirely happy with the way it all turned out.But this series is notable for one reason, and worth reading for that. In this final book in particular, it has more than one obese character. And how the two societies view that and treat the people who are overweight and obese, is just very interesting.I'm glad I've finished. Especially as there are more Robin Hobb books I haven't read yet! How is it possible that she's writing these long, dense books and I can't even keep up with reading them?! ( )
  Jellyn | Jul 23, 2012 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, JackieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never spoke up for myself at my court martial.

The final book in the brand new trilogy from the author of the Tawny Man and Farseer trilogies, following on from the bestselling Shaman’s Crossing and Forest Mage.The people of Getty's town remember the death of their cemetery soldier vividly. They remember believing him guilty of unspeakable crimes, condemning him, and then watching as other men of his unit beat him until he no longer drew breath.But Nevare Burvelle didn't die that day, though everyone believes they saw it happen. He was cornered by a power far more intractable than any angry mob.When he was a boy, the magic of the Specks – the dapple-skinned tribes of the frontier forests – claimed Nevare as a saviour; severing his soul in two, naming his stolen half Soldier's Boy and shaping him into a weapon to halt the Gernian expansion into their lands and save their beloved ancestor trees.Until now Nevare has defied the magic, unable to accept his traitorous fate. But the magic has won: it has extinguished his once golden future, devastated his family and has now turned his own people against him. Faced with endangering the only loved-ones he has left, Nevare has no choice but to surrender to its will and enter the forest.But surrendering to his Speck destiny is only the beginning of his trials. Before he submits completely, Nevare makes one desperate last attempt to deter the Gernians from the Barrier Mountains without causing them harm. But the magic accepts no compromise. Exhausted, Nevare can no longer suppress his traitorous Speck self, Soldiers Boy. Losing control, he becomes a prisoner in his own body; able only to watch helplessly as his other half takesSoldier's Boy is determined to stop the Gernian expansion at all cost, and unlike Nevare, he has no love, nor sympathy for his spirit-twin's world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:45 -0400)

"Loyal, privileged, and brave, Nevare Burvelle proudly embraced his preordained role as soldier in the service of the King of Gernia - unaware of the strange turns his life would ultimately take. Exposed to a plague of enemy sorcery that felled many of his compatriots, he prevailed, but at a terrible cost to his soul, body, and heart. Now he stands wrongly accused of unspeakable crimes - including murder, the most heinous of them all." "Condemned by his brother soldiers and sentenced to death, Nevare has no option but to escape. Suddenly he is an outcast and a fugitive - a hostage to the Speck magic that shackles him to a savage alter ego who would destroy everything Nevare holds dear. With nowhere to turn - except, perhaps, to the Speck woman Lisana, the enemy whom he loves - he is mired in soul-rending despair. But from out of the darkness comes a bright spark of hope.""Perhaps, somehow, the hated magic that has long abused Nevare can be used by him instead. Could he not learn to wield this mighty weapon for his own purposes rather than be enslaved by it? But down what perilous road will this desperate new quest lead him? And what will be the outcome and the ultimate new incarnation of Nevare Burvelle?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Eos

An edition of this book was published by Eos.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible