One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey

One Morning in Maine (1952)

by Robert McCloskey

One morning, Sal wake up and finds that her tooth is loose! She looses her tooth while digging for clams. She decides to wish on a feather instead. Her sister wishes on a spark plug and they both get ice cream. This book follows the day of a very energetic girl and her family. It sets the scene of an ideal life in Maine that anyone would love to jump into.
  helenaament | Aug 12, 2018 |
My copy came from a *very* rural library in our system - Mineral County library, Mina-Luning branch. The closest those kids have been to Maine would be canned clam chowder, poor things - but of course they do know about loose teeth and secret wishes and little sisters!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The illustrations were so authentic - everyone looked like a real person, warts-and-all, as the saying goes. I especially liked the different expressions on the father's face.

I am surprised I've never read this before. I don't think that I have and just forgot, either, because it seemed so utterly unfamiliar. Do any of you know it from your childhood? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This story was very simple but imaginative. The story follows Sal as she travels to Buck's Harbor with her family, where she loses her tooth while finding a clam and the motor of their boat stops working. She talks to all of the animals at the harbor and tells them about her loose tooth while she walks along the beach. I liked this story because this is a simple story with amazing illustrations for all readers to enjoy. Sal is curious just like young readers and she asks many questions that many students may have. I also enjoyed how the people in Sal's town are nice and generous people that give Sal and her sister ice cream cones even though she did not have her lost tooth. This shows how kindness and generosity are positive factors in life. I enjoyed this story and the illustrations were eye catching and gorgeous. ( )
  Sdaile2 | May 2, 2016 |
Sal wakes up with a wiggly tooth. At first she is concerned until her mom tells her it means she is a big girl now, and when it falls out she can put it under her pillow and make a wish. On her way to her dad she wonders about all the other animals and if they have teeth. When she is digging for clams she loses her tooth in the mud. At first she is upset until she finds a gull feather. She decides she can make her wish on the gull feather. When they make it to the harbor she shows everyone she lost her tooth. She hands the old spark plug from the boat motor to her sister Jane to make a wish on. In the end their wishes come true and they get ice cream cones. GENRE: realistic fiction. USES: losing teeth, information about different animals. CRITIQUE: Every child can relate to losing a tooth and most children wish for ice cream. It does a great job of capturing the thought process of a child. MEDIA: pencil.
  Adrinnon | Apr 5, 2016 |
A heartwarming story of a little girl growing up, sharing the day with her family and the simple joys of life. This is a wonderful book.
Curricular connections:
*Sequence of events
*Coastal animals
*Losing a tooth, growing up
  JulieBFEL | Jan 24, 2016 |
One morning in Maine, Sal woke up.

It's a big day for a little girl when she discovers her first loose tooth and makes a trip to the grocery on the mainland.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,185,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible