The Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur…

The Annotated Sherlock Holmes (1967)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Other authors: William S. Baring-Gould (Editor)

English (12)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (13)
I got this book as a child and loved it! All my favorite stories with explanations to the little references that didn't make sense to me at the time. Nearly 40 years later, I still treasure it. ( )
  MoonlightSilver | Mar 30, 2013 |
I actually surprised myself by reading all the way through the collected Sherlock Holmes stories. To begin with, I found the narratives stilted, unsure and formulaic and didn't expect to get too far. However, as Conan Doyle refined his characters and writing style, I was drawn in, and began trying to second guess the details.

As with all legendary characters, I believe that your introduction to the literature is key in shaping your perception of them. I had a vague recollection of reading one of the shorter stories when studying detective fiction at school and finding it thrilling and full of tension. Working my way through I eventually realised it was "The Adventure of the Speckled Band", and although I wasn't approaching it with the same sense of discovery, I think it's still one of the strongest of the works.

Overall I enjoyed them. I wanted some to continue and be drawn out more, whereas some I felt were quite obvious and underdeveloped. I liked that Conan Doyle's frustration is evident in his writing, and that later in his career he feels he can experiment around the formula more. I'd happily read the stories again in future, once I've forgotten the solutions! ( )
  Beakif | Apr 7, 2012 |
I got these as a gift from my mother many years ago and have read and re-read them many a time. A nice trip into Victorian England with terrific plots and Holmes' wierd genius for crime scenes and quirky personal behavior. ( )
  K.Nichols | Aug 7, 2011 |
I have been an avid Sherlock Holmes enthusiast since I started reading the stories at the age of nine. Ten years ago, I had the opportunity to acquire a used copy of "The Annotated Sherlock Holmes." What a disappointment! The editor chose to arrange the individual works in a chronology of his own devising, and by deviating from the established arrangement of the works, makes it very difficult to find a given story. And most of the "annotations" detract from the stories -- there is very little of significance added. I have awarded this enormous book a single star and am donating my boxed set to the public library. ( )
  jhevelin | Sep 19, 2010 |
Superb. The complete collection of all the stories and novels, with annotations. ( )
1 vote GeoKaras | Jan 2, 2010 |

Sir Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baring-Gould, William S.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I trust that the younger public may find these romances of interest, and that here and there one of the older generation may recapture an ancient thrill.
—Arthur Conan Doyle
Written in June, 1929, for his Preface to The Complete Sherlock Holmes Long Stories
The enthusiast likes to dream of the great omnibus volume in which the whole Sherlockian codex would be annotated from end to end for a new generation.
—Christopher Morley
Written circa November, 1943, for his Introduction to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: A Textbook of Friendship
"It is possible that there are some, who will read this, who have never read The Valley of Fear," said Mr. Anthony Boucher, introducing that last of the Sherlock Holmes novels to Limited Edition Club subscribers in 1952.
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set or different volumes of the same set.

Here, in two volumes, is every word that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) ever wrote about the adventures of the detective and the doctor... fifty-six short stories and four complete novels, arranged chronologically from Holmes's first case, in 1874, when he was a university student, to his signal service to the British Empire in the opening days of the First World War.

William S. Baring-Gould, the editor, who was one of the greatest Sherlockian authorities, wrote two previous volumes about the Sage of Baker Street...'The Chronological Holmes and Sherlock Homes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Dectective.' To this work he contributed eleven fascinating chapters of introduction on Conan Doyle, on Holmes and Watson and the evil Professor James Moriarty, and on the Baker Street scene.; he also provided 'interludes' that throw a new light on many perplexing problems raised by Watson's writings; and in addition annotated each adventure from his vast collection of 'Writings about the Writings.' He amassed as well, form files of yellowing books and magazines, British and American, hundreds of illuminating maps, diagrams, coats of arms, photographs, and drawings for inclusion in this collection. All the most celebrated illustrators of the Canon are represented among them, Sidney Paget of the Strand, Frederic Dorr Steele of 'Collier's' and William H. Hyde of 'Harper's Weekly,' as well as numerous others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:47 -0400)

Presents the four novels and fifty-six short stories which comprise the entire Sherlock Holmes saga.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible