Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1) by…

Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1) (edition 2003)

by Anne McCaffrey (Author)

4,718None994 (4.09)1 / 159
Member:fuzzi
Title:Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey (Author)
Info:Aladdin (2003), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, SciFi Fantasy

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

Anne McCaffrey (37) dragon (44) dragonriders (27) dragons (406) fantasy (896) fantasy fiction (15) fiction (421) fire lizards (34) Harper Hall (126) harpers (19) McCaffrey (42) mmpb (16) music (104) novel (31) own (34) owned (17) paperback (41) pb (14) Pern (529) read (96) science fantasy (15) science fiction (520) series (76) sf (106) sff (103) speculative fiction (18) to-read (21) unread (19) YA (54) young adult (78)

English (56)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
This is one of my favorite books. I’ve read it so many times that all I have to do is think on it, and the whole book’s story pushes through my mind. It saddens me that there will never be a new release from this author. I hope that new generations will always have the opportunity to read her books. I recommend this book to all age groups, but think children would particularly love it. Book two follows on its heels. ( )
  lsfayne | Apr 16, 2014 |
Even though this book was written years ago and is listed as a YA I still find myself going back to reread it over and over. I love the characters and the interaction of music and fire lizards. This is truly a classic that should be taught in school. ( )
  suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |
really good, must read more. I enjoyed this world. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

I've not read this book in ten years, but reading it through for the second time ever it's just as wonderful and engaging as I remember it. I ate this book up like you devour your favorite treat in a bakery. It was so wonderful to read! The main character Menolly is strong, intelligent, creative, determined, humble, and has a beautiful personality. And the side characters are all appropriately monstrous, in ways that'll horrify and anger you, or infinitely entertaining, in the way that fills you with warmth and enjoyment. You've got a perfect blend of antagonism and hope and unusual, engaging situations in this book to draw in anyone who picks it up and wants a read! Fantasy lovers especially will adore this book, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has ever wanted to or thought about giving it a go.

It's a book of strong characters, unjust situations, magical encounters, an engaging storyline, and is just the very tip of a world that-- once you're introduced to-- you'll want much, much more of. It's a swift and flawless read, and has everything anyone is looking for. It scalds you with terrible situations, and then it fills you with hope and joy! It's the perfect type of read for kids, young adults, and anyone else who wants a good, creative story to unwind with.

If you've never gotten into Anne McCaffrey's Pern books before, this is a fantastic one to start off in, and, once again, I immensely recommend it. This review is short, but that's simply because a good book doesn't need much to speak for itself. If you're a dragon/fantasy fan especially, I'd even say buy this book without bothering with a library. It's so good. I can't imagine you won't enjoy it.

Check it out, and happy reading! ( )
  N.T.Embe | Dec 31, 2013 |
Just re-listened to this. Don't remember it being so drivly when I read it as a pre-teen; maybe I have gotten smarter over the past decade?
Anyway, load of feminist mary-sue garbage if you ask me. It got really annoying really fast how much everyone (except for her sexist hold leader) liked the main character, who was apparently perfect in every way.
Might try reading some of her other pern series over again, just to check if they were all really this bad, and I somehow missed it. I was never a huge fan... But I didn't think she was this bad of a writer either. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, SallyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malczynski, ElizabethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beth Blish who stands first in line for a dragon - behind me!
Almost as if the elements, too, mourned the death of the gentle old Harper, a southeaster blew for three days, locking even the burial barge in the safety of the Dock Cavern.

Menolly - Mistress of Music, Ward of Fire Lizards

Every two hundred years or so, shimmering threads fall, raining black ruin on Pern. The great dragons of Pern, hurl themselves through the beleaguered skies, flaming tongues of fire to destroy deadly Thread and save the planet.

It was not Threadfall that made Menolly unhappy. It was her father who betrayed her ambition to be a Harper, who thwarted her love of music. Menolly had no choice but to run away.

She had came upon a mythical firelizard queen battling the seas to save her eggs during one of her harvest forays - and wrote a song about the deed. Now, she returned to her Queen's cave - just in time to see the hatching - and save the babies from thread.

what Menolly (and everybody else) didn't realize that these cute lizards were like the dragons whom legend says were bred from them - feed them once and they look to you for life! Nine hungry babies wanting attention RIGHT NOW!!!

And then Menolly loses track of time - she's hunting food for herself and her friends, far from her sheltering cave - when Thread begins to fall!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553258524, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling Harper Hall Trilogy  is a wonder-filled classic of the  imagination. Dragonsong, the first volume in the  series, is the enchanting tale of how Menolly of  Half Circle Hold became Pern's first female Harper,  and rediscovered the legendary fire lizards who  helped to save her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:06 -0400)

Forbidden by her father to indulge in music in any way, a girl on the planet Pern runs away, taking shelter with the planet's fire lizards who, along with her music, opens a new life for her.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible