Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1) by…

Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1) (edition 2003)

by Anne McCaffrey

4,94467927 (4.09)1 / 183
Member:fuzzi
Title:Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey (Author)
Info:Aladdin (2003), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, SciFi Fantasy

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

English (63)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (65)
The first book in the Harper Hall Trilogy (third in the Dragonriders of Pern series, though it stands alone) centers around the girl Menolly, a talented musician whose only close friend, her mentor Petiron, has just passed away. With a sea holder family that doesn't understand her and a misogynistic, abusive father who does not believe a woman can be a harper, Menolly is driven to further isolation. After rescuing a clutch of fire lizards, long thought to be mythical creatures, events come to a head. Menolly cuts her hand gutting poisonous fish and the Hold allows it to heal poorly so that she will be unable to play an instrument. She flees to live holdless in a cave, accidentally impresses nine fire lizards, and begins a new life alone in the wild.

While this is occurring, the Harpers are scouring the continent for "Petiron's lost apprentice" whose music had been sent to Maosterharper Robinton prior to the harper's death. Menially begins to find herself and her music in the wild. At Half Circle Sea Hold the new harper begins to uncover the truth about what happened at the Hold and just who the unknown musician is. ( )
  Ailinel | May 2, 2015 |
I read this book the first time in middle school and instantly fell in love with it. The world and its characters drew me in and I couldn't put it down till I finished it. In the years since I have read this book and many others set in this world and I still love it just as much as I did then. The main character was a strong character that made me feel as she did. when she was sad I was sad, when she triumped I felt joy and happiness for her. The dragonettes that become her companions were such characters that I still to this day want one. This book introduced me to a well written world that always draws me in. ( )
  shazzump | Apr 27, 2015 |
[Re-read, 2011]

Just as good as I remember it from when I was a kid! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
A simple coming of age story set in the world of Pern, but well told and with that special 'warm fuzzies' quality. Menolly is a talented musician born in the wrong place - a Hold dedicated entirely to the life of the fisherman and where girls and women in particular have no chance at achieving anything different with their lives. She can indulge her passion only so long as it serves a required purpose, and eventually the strain becomes too much.

Anne McCaffrey wrote two original trilogies for the world of Pern during its heydey. I read the other in my school days but never picked up this one, which runs in parallel and has some crossover. It has all the flavour of the others, a goldmine of nostalgia: far better than when an author returns to a series years later is to find another original work that was written in that period. Menolly is a bit of a Little Nell, a little too purely good - there's not the least spark of anger in her, only fear when she considers her foes. If you don't find that too saccharine, the ending will pluck your heartstrings. ( )
  Cecrow | Dec 24, 2014 |
Just reread this, as Harold has begun reading it to the girls. It's still good. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |

Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reß-Bohusch, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roe, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rondeaux, EricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beth Blish who stands first in line for a dragon - behind me!
Almost as if the elements, too, mourned the death of the gentle old Harper, a southeaster blew for three days, locking even the burial barge in the safety of the Dock Cavern.

Menolly - Mistress of Music, Ward of Fire Lizards

Every two hundred years or so, shimmering threads fall, raining black ruin on Pern. The great dragons of Pern, hurl themselves through the beleaguered skies, flaming tongues of fire to destroy deadly Thread and save the planet.

It was not Threadfall that made Menolly unhappy. It was her father who betrayed her ambition to be a Harper, who thwarted her love of music. Menolly had no choice but to run away.

She had came upon a mythical firelizard queen battling the seas to save her eggs during one of her harvest forays - and wrote a song about the deed. Now, she returned to her Queen's cave - just in time to see the hatching - and save the babies from thread.

what Menolly (and everybody else) didn't realize that these cute lizards were like the dragons whom legend says were bred from them - feed them once and they look to you for life! Nine hungry babies wanting attention RIGHT NOW!!!

And then Menolly loses track of time - she's hunting food for herself and her friends, far from her sheltering cave - when Thread begins to fall!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553258524, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling Harper Hall Trilogy  is a wonder-filled classic of the  imagination. Dragonsong, the first volume in the  series, is the enchanting tale of how Menolly of  Half Circle Hold became Pern's first female Harper,  and rediscovered the legendary fire lizards who  helped to save her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

On the planet Pern, after her father forbids her to indulge in music in any way, fifteen-year-old Menolly, runs away and takes shelter with the planet's fire lizards who, along with her music, open a new life for her.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,129,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible