Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1) by…
5,07268886 (4.1)1 / 193
Member:remooney
Title:Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Aladdin (2003), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:***

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

English (66)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (68)
Dragons, a planet names Pern, Harpers, dragonriders, how can you not read. Anne McCaffrey is a rider/writer of dragons. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
Standalone read (don't have to read all the Pern books or be a fan of, this one is all on it's own with even a different atmosphere), adult appeal but equally YA genre. The start of Menolly's story and The Harperhall Trilogy (next book [b:Dragonsinger|28547|Dragonsinger|Anne McCaffrey|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1288639051s/28547.jpg|2971170] also about Menolly and the third book more Piemur, a character met in next book). ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
The first book in the Harper Hall Trilogy (third in the Dragonriders of Pern series, though it stands alone) centers around the girl Menolly, a talented musician whose only close friend, her mentor Petiron, has just passed away. With a sea holder family that doesn't understand her and a misogynistic, abusive father who does not believe a woman can be a harper, Menolly is driven to further isolation. After rescuing a clutch of fire lizards, long thought to be mythical creatures, events come to a head. Menolly cuts her hand gutting poisonous fish and the Hold allows it to heal poorly so that she will be unable to play an instrument. She flees to live holdless in a cave, accidentally impresses nine fire lizards, and begins a new life alone in the wild.

While this is occurring, the Harpers are scouring the continent for "Petiron's lost apprentice" whose music had been sent to Maosterharper Robinton prior to the harper's death. Menially begins to find herself and her music in the wild. At Half Circle Sea Hold the new harper begins to uncover the truth about what happened at the Hold and just who the unknown musician is. ( )
  Ailinel | May 2, 2015 |
I read this book the first time in middle school and instantly fell in love with it. The world and its characters drew me in and I couldn't put it down till I finished it. In the years since I have read this book and many others set in this world and I still love it just as much as I did then. The main character was a strong character that made me feel as she did. when she was sad I was sad, when she triumped I felt joy and happiness for her. The dragonettes that become her companions were such characters that I still to this day want one. This book introduced me to a well written world that always draws me in. ( )
  shazzump | Apr 27, 2015 |

Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reß-Bohusch, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roe, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rondeaux, EricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beth Blish who stands first in line for a dragon - behind me!
Almost as if the elements, too, mourned the death of the gentle old Harper, a southeaster blew for three days, locking even the burial barge in the safety of the Dock Cavern.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553258524, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling Harper Hall Trilogy  is a wonder-filled classic of the  imagination. Dragonsong, the first volume in the  series, is the enchanting tale of how Menolly of  Half Circle Hold became Pern's first female Harper,  and rediscovered the legendary fire lizards who  helped to save her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

On the planet Pern, after her father forbids her to indulge in music in any way, fifteen-year-old Menolly, runs away and takes shelter with the planet's fire lizards who, along with her music, open a new life for her.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible