Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Corgi (1980), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Fantasy, Dragonriders of Pern, Harper Hall trilogy Book 1

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

English (60)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
Just reread this, as Harold has begun reading it to the girls. It's still good. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
Well written but I got bored of the series & world by this point. Possibly just me, but I didn't find any of it that fascinating to really enjoy it much beyond the original trilogy. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Read during Fall 2005

Light and enjoyable read, that seems to slot in fine with Dragonquest, since it takes place about the same time. The writing isn't quite as clumsy, perhaps as it is written for teens. I kept wanting to check the timings and actions with the adult books but it appeared to make some sense. However, Robinton seemed WAY too busy on the Hatching Day at the very end that also figures prominently in Dragonquest. Mirrim is also introduced here as well as in the adult book and doesn't come off any better. From The White Dragon, I know she isn't going to improve any.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is a lovely book, one of the very first I ever bought. I have the trilogy in a single volume but kept these individual books in case I wanted to attempt reading just one book. Menolly has been the defacto apprentice to the sea hold harper but is shunted to the side with he dies and a new harper comes. She cuts her hand badly and can no longer play, and her family doesn't allow her to sing or compose her own songs, so she runs away to a cave and lives with the 9 fire lizards she Impressed by accident. This book fueled a lot of my childhood fantasies about living on my own in a cave. :-) It's a quick read, I was done in an evening, it moves quickly along, feeling like a novella in the tightness of the story telling. ( )
  silentq | Jun 5, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books. I’ve read it so many times that all I have to do is think on it, and the whole book’s story pushes through my mind. It saddens me that there will never be a new release from this author. I hope that new generations will always have the opportunity to read her books. I recommend this book to all age groups, but think children would particularly love it. Book two follows on its heels. ( )
  lsfayne | Apr 16, 2014 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, SallyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malczynski, ElizabethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beth Blish who stands first in line for a dragon - behind me!
Almost as if the elements, too, mourned the death of the gentle old Harper, a southeaster blew for three days, locking even the burial barge in the safety of the Dock Cavern.

Menolly - Mistress of Music, Ward of Fire Lizards

Every two hundred years or so, shimmering threads fall, raining black ruin on Pern. The great dragons of Pern, hurl themselves through the beleaguered skies, flaming tongues of fire to destroy deadly Thread and save the planet.

It was not Threadfall that made Menolly unhappy. It was her father who betrayed her ambition to be a Harper, who thwarted her love of music. Menolly had no choice but to run away.

She had came upon a mythical firelizard queen battling the seas to save her eggs during one of her harvest forays - and wrote a song about the deed. Now, she returned to her Queen's cave - just in time to see the hatching - and save the babies from thread.

what Menolly (and everybody else) didn't realize that these cute lizards were like the dragons whom legend says were bred from them - feed them once and they look to you for life! Nine hungry babies wanting attention RIGHT NOW!!!

And then Menolly loses track of time - she's hunting food for herself and her friends, far from her sheltering cave - when Thread begins to fall!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553258524, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling Harper Hall Trilogy  is a wonder-filled classic of the  imagination. Dragonsong, the first volume in the  series, is the enchanting tale of how Menolly of  Half Circle Hold became Pern's first female Harper,  and rediscovered the legendary fire lizards who  helped to save her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:06 -0400)

Forbidden by her father to indulge in music in any way, a girl on the planet Pern runs away, taking shelter with the planet's fire lizards who, along with her music, opens a new life for her.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible