Two Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

Two Moon Princess (edition 2010)

by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

Member:thekaisu
Title:Two Moon Princess
Authors:Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban
Info:Tanglewood Press (2010), Paperback, 324 pages

Two Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

A strong title that will appeal to teens who like fantasy with adventure, romance, and strong female protagonists. Read my entire review ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
A nice coming of age story about a girl caught between two worlds. Princess Andrea is the rebellious princess that doesn't want to be a "lady", but would rather shoot arrows and ride horses with the boys.

She discovers a path to "our" world and adventures ensue.

As a first novel for the author, it was a good tale of the headstrong Andrea. I found myself pulling for her and hoping she'd find her niche, wherever that might be.

Some great character development takes place over the course of the novel as well. I like the glimpses of world-building we get in Andrea's world.

She almost seemed to blend in too easily with our world, but the reasons for that are explained. They seem a bit convenient, but they work.

As far as characters go, I had a little trouble connecting with any besides Andrea. That's probably okay, as Andrea herself had trouble connecting with most people. I liked her Mother, the Queen & I liked Don Julián. I wanted to like Don Romero, but I couldn't get comfortable with his frequent hot and cold switches. One minute he'd be praising and supportive and the next he'd be standoffish and critical.

I disliked the King, Don Andres, as well as John/Don Juan. I wished someone would hit them both in the head with large blunt instruments.

The story flowed well, after an introduction to the main character had me wondering if we'd see some common fantasy tropes. But there were unexpected turns in the story and it came together nicely. ( )
  Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
It took a little work but not much to get into this story. I wasn’t sure what to think about it at first and then suddenly I was swept away and could not put it down. This is the story of Princess Andrea. A mix of coming of age with science fiction with fantasy and rounded out by a touch of romance. Andrea wants to become a knight. As the fourth daughter she has no claim to the throne and wants nothing to do with being a lady. Her parents refuse her request and so she sets off on her own adventure. Wild and high spirited, Andrea finds herself leaving her world and entering California. She learns that nothing is what she thought it was. Upon returning home, she inadvertently starts a war which she has to work to stop. What I liked best was that Andrea had a fairly immature view of the world and it surprised her as she matured. I loved her confusion and the fact that she was unsure of herself, even right up to the end. She was real and insecure. There were some language issues but I only noticed them early on, the story completely sucked me in. I was uncertain of everyone’s motivation and, while I guessed who would be her love interest, I was still surprised by each turn of events. I would love to read more and see where her next adventure takes her. ( )
  SDPogue | May 9, 2012 |
Like many girls, Andrea doesn't want to act like a girly girl. She yearns to be a knight whereas her parents expect her to act like the fourth princess that she is. It is when she crosses over to our world that she finally feels as though she is somewhere she belongs; only, she returns too early and to a home more unfamiliar to her than before, for her actions have become the catalyst for war.

The characters aren't all nice. There are many misunderstandings that could have been resolved if only characters opened up and said what was really on their mind; however, real life isn't easy. When I became frustrated with characters, I asked myself how I would have acted in their positions, and I couldn't hate them as much as I wanted. There is romance. It is sweet; it is bitter. Andreas has her heart broken a couple times.

Two Moon Princess is a coming-of-age story. It is unique and intriguing. It is about growing out of childhood dreams and realizing who you really want to become. War opens Andrea to the brutal reality of knighthood, and she learns more about what she wants to do with her life over the course of the novel. I recommend this for tweens, who will be able to relate to Andrea's struggles relating to her self-identity and getting the people around her to see her for who she really is. ( )
  summerskris | Apr 13, 2012 |
Our story takes us on an adventure of Princess Andrea. Stubborn and hearty she wants to be a Page only to have her father turn down her request. He wants her to join her mother and learn to be a Lady as is fitting of her status.Andrea is gutsy, intelligent and quick witted. She meets her Uncle at some rocks near a beach and is soon to discover that the cave/archway is actually a portal to another world. Andrea resumes her life and learns her Lady skills to a degree but she is not completely happy in her world.When she accidently goes over to the other side she meets her Uncle again and discovers his other life, meets his daughter and gets to know John, a boy that catches her fancy.This book captured me from the beginning and I was expecting something else if I'm honest. It started like Alanna by Tamora Pierce and ended completely NOT like Alanna.I thought the descriptive writing was superb, this author has such a flare for english and can captivate you with the story.It doesn't matter that some of the characters are downright annoying (Kelsey for instance) I think that was the authors intention.Andrea does at times act much younger than her age, she is sometimes a little slow (but we can forgive that) and she's impulsive. But that's what I like in a heroine. She's still growing up after all. Altogether I thought it was a great read. I'm not sure about the target market as originally I though 10-12 years, but then ended up being 14-16 years, however I'm sure the older audience will enjoy this book also. Thank you to Net Galley for allowing me to read this exceptional book! ( )
  bkwormblogger | Jan 18, 2012 |
For Natalia, For Nicolas
My Angel, my rebel
My love
"The arrow knows the way. Just let it free."

In this coming-of-age story set in a medieval kingdom, Andrea is a headstrong princess longing to be a knight who finds her way to modern-day California. But her accidental return to her family's kingdom and a disastrous romance brings war, along with her discovery of some dark family secrets. Readers will love this mix of traditional fantasy elements with unique twists and will identify with Andrea and her difficult choices between duty and desire.

Andrea, a reluctant, tomboyish princess from the Kingdom of Zeltia--a world resembling medieval Spain--is transported from a forbidden cave into modern California, and when she accidentally returns to her home with the wrong person, it sets off a chain reaction that threatens her family and their kingdom.… (more)

Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,320,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible