Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Vol. 1 by…
493None20,695 (3.84)28
Member:burningwasteland
Title:Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Vol. 1
Authors:Joss Whedon
Other authors:Others, Eric Powell, Joe Bennett
Info:Dark Horse (2007), Edition: Dark Horse Omnibus (6x9 inch), Paperback, 296 pages

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Volume 1 by Joss Whedon

Recently added byprivate library, Watry, ancameme, deviger, asylum2099, betsy.nelson, LeahHenegar, sixteendays, Britt84

August 2012: This was a re-read - once in a while I find myself in the mood to read the old Buffy comics... This first volume is filled with stories set before she arrived in Sunnydale.

I saw my first BTVS TV-series episode back in 1999 and it's been a part of my life ever since; the comics and the tv-series.
I've never grown tired of the series and when I'm in the mood, I love going back re-reading the comics and re-watching the show. If you're one of the fans who can't get enough of the world that Joss Whedon and his writers created, I highly recommend checking out the older Buffy Comics that has been collected in a series of omnibuses by Dark Horse.

I personally have a soft spot for the older Buffy comics set before the Buffy season 8 and 9 comics. For me it's a nostalgic experience that brings me back... ( )
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
This first omnibus collection of Buffy the Vampire Slayer graphic novels is an absolute must-have for fans of the the Sarah Michelle Gellar television show and the much-maligned Kristy Swanson movie.

Have you ever wondered what Joss Whedon really meant the original Buffy movie to be like, before the studio took over and, in most fan's opinion, ruined it?

What happened after Buffy and her slacker boyfriend, Pike, burned down their Los Angeles high school--before Buffy and her mom picked-up and moved to Sunnydale?

Was Angel watching Buffy BEFORE that fateful day in the Sunnydale graveyard?

And last, but not least, what on earth happened to Pike?

You'll find these answers and much more in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Volume 1", by genre favorite Joss Whedon. Highly recommended. ( )
  ElizabethConard | Apr 5, 2013 |
From one Buffy fan to another

Having discovered Joss Whedon through Firefly (and then only after the show had been off the air for a year!), I recently watched – devoured – Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix. (I’m halfway through Angel now. No spoilers!) Missing the Scooby Gang something fierce, I decided to give the comics a try.

Much to my dismay, I’ve never really been able to get into comics or graphic novels. Though I love many of the stories and characters, the format just isn’t for me. Even so, I hoped I might enjoy Buffy, seeing as I already have a connection to the Buffyverse. The events in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus (also referred to as “Season 0”) are largely concurrent with those in the movie and series, in such a way that they help to flesh out the existing stories. (In contrast, the Season Eight comic book series picks up where “Chosen” left off.)

Volume 1 in the omnibus features five complete storylines: “All’s Fair,” which shows a slightly younger Dru and Spike terrorizing the 1933 World’s Fair in Chicago; “Buffy: The Origin,” an adaptation of Whedon’s screenplay; “Viva Las Buffy,” in which Buffy and Pike run away to Las Vegas post-prom, only to unwittingly stumble upon a casino full of vamps; “Dawn & Hoopy The Bear,” wherein a magical teddy bear meant for Buffy finds its way instead to Dawn; and “Slayer, Interrupted,” which elaborates on the time Buffy spent in a (demon infested, natch) mental institution.

While I initially found myself struggling to stay engaged, by the end of “Buffy: The Origin” I was hooked. The story arc in “All’s Fair” is rather lackluster – frankly, I would’ve liked to have seen more panels on the Boxer Rebellion – but the stories get progressively better, culminating with “Slayer, Interrupted.” Especially enjoyable is seeing Giles at home in England, in the spring of his career and already butting heads with the Watcher’s Council – and Angel, in his early days of Buffy brooding.

As you can infer from the fourth title in the series, Dawn exists in some of these story lines. Your feelings on this are likely to correspond with your feelings toward Dawn herself. I’m not particularly outraged at her inclusion, though I think the comic book series would be better off without her. I’d prefer the “truth” of what happened, not everyone’s manufactured memories of the events. Plus I’ve kind of had my share of whiny younger siblings, being the oldest of four kids myself.

Overall, I’m inclined to give Volume 1 of the Omnibus 3/5 stars, though I’m upgrading to four stars in the interest of fairness. (Like, what’s a non-fan of comic books doing reviewing a comic book?!) I’ll definitely keep reading the Omnibus series, though it’s doubtful that I’ll plow through it as quickly as I did the tv show. Fellow Buffy fans in need of a fix – give it a try, you might be surprised!

http://www.easyvegan.info/2012/12/28/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-omnibus-volume-1-b... ( )
  smiteme | Dec 8, 2012 |
What a great addition to the Buffy legacy! Anyone who's a fan of the series will definitely get a huge kick out of this Omnibus. Taking all the stories that have been printed by Dark Horse and putting them into a proper timeline means that you start reading this Omnibus with the earliest known/ recorded stories of Buffy (and other characters) as we are taken from her origin to her initial stint at the psycho ward :)

Great value and great entertainment! ( )
1 vote savageknight | Oct 12, 2011 |
A collection of graphic short stories, which were written by a variety of comic authors, while Buffy the Vampire Slayer was on television. My favorite was "Dawn and Hoopy the Bear," which was quite funny and had some of the best art in the collection. I also really liked "Viva las Buffy" (which fills in the gap from when the movie ended and the TV show began and letting us know what happened to Pike) and "Slayer, Interrupted" (which shows Buffy's stay in a mental institution as an attempt to avoid her fate).

However, I was thoroughly bored by the first two stories in the collection. In "Spike and Dru: All's Fair," in which the duo cause havoc at the 1933 World's Fair. The art is just okay and the lettering is awful, and frankly I'm not a Spike and Dru fan anyway.

"The Origin" was equally dull for me. It presents Joss Whedon's original screenplay of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as he intended it to be shown. To me, it ended up reading as a bad version of the movie, which I still quite love for all its camp. It was silly and ridiculous, but it was also fun. "The Origin" looses its fun when translated to comic format, not even capturing the punch of the TV show. It should have been given more space. Instead it seems to rush through the story and end up falling flat in so many ways. ( )
1 vote andreablythe | Apr 6, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159307784X, Paperback)

The definitive comics collection of all things Buffy starts here. This first massive volume begins at the beginning - The Origin, a faithful adaptation of creator Joss Whedon's original screenplay for the film that started it all. The newly-chosen slayer's road to Sunnydale continues in Viva Las Buffy and Slayer, Interrupted. Next, high school, the Scoobies and an English librarian lead the way into Season One continuity. Plus, The Goon creator Eric Powell provides pencils to "All's Fair," featuring Spike and Drusilla at the 1933 World's Fair.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:40 -0400)

Describes the events that led Buffy to become a vampire slayer and her adventures once she accepts her destiny.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible