Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Vol. 1 by…
Member:burningwasteland
Title:Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Vol. 1
Authors:Joss Whedon
Other authors:Others, Eric Powell, Joe Bennett
Info:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Volume 1 by Joss Whedon

I never had a chance to really read any of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics before the Season Eight 'reboot'/continuation of the series and so this omnibus was both convenient and very cool.

I didn't love the art, but really liked the five stories that were contained in the collection.

The re-imagined (based on Joss Whedon's original less campy movie script) movie, Buffy: Origin was cool, but I really liked the story of Buffy in the mental institution, Slayer Interrupted. I had liked the episode it was 'based' on 'Normal Again' and this just made that even better. ( )
  DanieXJ | Sep 29, 2014 |
Volume One of the Graphic Novel Omnibus of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a real treat. It contains five story arcs which all take place prior to Season One of the Buffy television show. This volume contains The Origin, which is a re-worked version of the Buffy Movie. Or, maybe I should say, it's the original treatment by Joss that the cheesy movie was adapted from?
Also included are an adventure with Spike and Dru at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair, "Viva Las Buffy" which takes place after The Origin and features Buffy and Pike running away to Vegas and taking out a vampire casino, and Slayer, Interrupted, depicting Buffy's first institutionalization which is alluded to in the Season 6 episode "Normal Again".
The most entertaining for me, however was "Dawn and Hoopy Bear" .. It was a very interesting decision for the author to include Dawn in these stories. Of course, she wasn't really there, but if Buffy is relating these happenings from a post-season 5 perspective, which, except for The Origin they all were, then she would remember Dawn being there.. A really fascinating paradox. Whichever way you look at it, you'll probably enjoy this story about a evil-infused Teddy Bear meant for the Slayer mistakenly given to 10-year-old Dawn. ( )
  EmScape | Aug 3, 2014 |
August 2012: This was a re-read - once in a while I find myself in the mood to read the old Buffy comics... This first volume is filled with stories set before she arrived in Sunnydale.

I saw my first BTVS TV-series episode back in 1999 and it's been a part of my life ever since; the comics and the tv-series.
I've never grown tired of the series and when I'm in the mood, I love going back re-reading the comics and re-watching the show. If you're one of the fans who can't get enough of the world that Joss Whedon and his writers created, I highly recommend checking out the older Buffy Comics that has been collected in a series of omnibuses by Dark Horse.

I personally have a soft spot for the older Buffy comics set before the Buffy season 8 and 9 comics. For me it's a nostalgic experience that brings me back... ( )
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
This first omnibus collection of Buffy the Vampire Slayer graphic novels is an absolute must-have for fans of the the Sarah Michelle Gellar television show and the much-maligned Kristy Swanson movie.

Have you ever wondered what Joss Whedon really meant the original Buffy movie to be like, before the studio took over and, in most fan's opinion, ruined it?

What happened after Buffy and her slacker boyfriend, Pike, burned down their Los Angeles high school--before Buffy and her mom picked-up and moved to Sunnydale?

Was Angel watching Buffy BEFORE that fateful day in the Sunnydale graveyard?

And last, but not least, what on earth happened to Pike?

You'll find these answers and much more in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Volume 1", by genre favorite Joss Whedon. Highly recommended. ( )
  ElizabethConard | Apr 5, 2013 |
From one Buffy fan to another

Having discovered Joss Whedon through Firefly (and then only after the show had been off the air for a year!), I recently watched – devoured – Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix. (I’m halfway through Angel now. No spoilers!) Missing the Scooby Gang something fierce, I decided to give the comics a try.

Much to my dismay, I’ve never really been able to get into comics or graphic novels. Though I love many of the stories and characters, the format just isn’t for me. Even so, I hoped I might enjoy Buffy, seeing as I already have a connection to the Buffyverse. The events in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus (also referred to as “Season 0”) are largely concurrent with those in the movie and series, in such a way that they help to flesh out the existing stories. (In contrast, the Season Eight comic book series picks up where “Chosen” left off.)

Volume 1 in the omnibus features five complete storylines: “All’s Fair,” which shows a slightly younger Dru and Spike terrorizing the 1933 World’s Fair in Chicago; “Buffy: The Origin,” an adaptation of Whedon’s screenplay; “Viva Las Buffy,” in which Buffy and Pike run away to Las Vegas post-prom, only to unwittingly stumble upon a casino full of vamps; “Dawn & Hoopy The Bear,” wherein a magical teddy bear meant for Buffy finds its way instead to Dawn; and “Slayer, Interrupted,” which elaborates on the time Buffy spent in a (demon infested, natch) mental institution.

While I initially found myself struggling to stay engaged, by the end of “Buffy: The Origin” I was hooked. The story arc in “All’s Fair” is rather lackluster – frankly, I would’ve liked to have seen more panels on the Boxer Rebellion – but the stories get progressively better, culminating with “Slayer, Interrupted.” Especially enjoyable is seeing Giles at home in England, in the spring of his career and already butting heads with the Watcher’s Council – and Angel, in his early days of Buffy brooding.

As you can infer from the fourth title in the series, Dawn exists in some of these story lines. Your feelings on this are likely to correspond with your feelings toward Dawn herself. I’m not particularly outraged at her inclusion, though I think the comic book series would be better off without her. I’d prefer the “truth” of what happened, not everyone’s manufactured memories of the events. Plus I’ve kind of had my share of whiny younger siblings, being the oldest of four kids myself.

Overall, I’m inclined to give Volume 1 of the Omnibus 3/5 stars, though I’m upgrading to four stars in the interest of fairness. (Like, what’s a non-fan of comic books doing reviewing a comic book?!) I’ll definitely keep reading the Omnibus series, though it’s doubtful that I’ll plow through it as quickly as I did the tv show. Fellow Buffy fans in need of a fix – give it a try, you might be surprised!

http://www.easyvegan.info/2012/12/28/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-omnibus-volume-1-b... ( )
  smiteme | Dec 8, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159307784X, Paperback)

The definitive comics collection of all things Buffy starts here. This first massive volume begins at the beginning - The Origin, a faithful adaptation of creator Joss Whedon's original screenplay for the film that started it all. The newly-chosen slayer's road to Sunnydale continues in Viva Las Buffy and Slayer, Interrupted. Next, high school, the Scoobies and an English librarian lead the way into Season One continuity. Plus, The Goon creator Eric Powell provides pencils to "All's Fair," featuring Spike and Drusilla at the 1933 World's Fair.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:40 -0400)

Describes the events that led Buffy to become a vampire slayer and her adventures once she accepts her destiny.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible