The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, or, There…

The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, or, There and back again (original 1988; edition 1988)

by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author), Douglas A. Anderson (Introduction)

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prequel, Annotated)

J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved novel The hobbit has deep roots in European folklore, mythology, and language. As a reader's introduction to Tolkien's Middle-earth, it contains references to the ancient history of this imaginary world which, though rarely explained, contribute greatly to the effect of Tolkien's art. This revised and expanded edition of The annotated hobbit unobtrusively and authoritatively illuminates the novel's antecedents and curiosities. Douglas Anderson has also collected here wonderful illustrations from all over the world. The many new annotations in this edition reflect more than a decade's additional scholarship on the history and evolution of The hobbit, and the annotations and illustrations are newly integrated with the core text in a handsome reader-friendly format. This edition also reproduces the fully corrected text of The hobbit as J.R.R. Tolkien approved it before his death, in 1973. Anderson has compared every page from every major edition of The hobbit with Tolkien's own last checking copy in the restoration work for this definitive edition.… (more)
Member:equanimity23
Title:The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, or, There and back again
Authors:J. R. R. Tolkien (Author)
Other authors:Douglas A. Anderson (Introduction)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Company (1988), Edition: 1st, 335 pages
Tags:fantasy, recommend, multiple-reads

The Annotated Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1988)

Cute ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
Signed by D. A. Anderson ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
Indispensable for any serious Tolkienist. The second edition is a huge improvement over the first.
  sonofcarc | Dec 17, 2019 |
So yeah, I'm 36 years old, have read LoTR a couple of times, seen the movies a bunch, played lots of D&D, and somehow never got around to reading The Hobbit. I did see the movie once, at the library when I was a little kid, and I think one more time in the last decade or so.

It's a damn clever story; the locales are quite vivid, and I'm intrigued by the characters who weren't in LoTR. (Beorn in particular.)

I do wish I hadn't gotten the annotated version, though. Fascinating stuff, some of it, but also terribly distracting. And I'm still not so much for Tolkien's poetry.

All in all, I'm glad I finally got around to it. ( )
1 vote epersonae | Mar 30, 2013 |
I decided to reread this in preparation for the upcoming movie, and since I probably hadn't read it since childhood. It was exactly as fun and exciting as I remembered it, but there was a lot more to the story that I didn't pick up on as a kid. I was surprised at how much this is really a story about the growth of Bilbo. Tolkien makes it very satisfying to watch his transformation from a bungling tourist to a confident adventurer. It's a powerful moment when the dwarves (who are very experienced themselves) turn to Bilbo as their leader. This was definitely worth the time investment to revist as an adult. ( )
  rwjerome | Jul 2, 2012 |

J. R. R. Tolkienprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, Douglas A.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Overholtzer, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, MichaelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, J. R. R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, J. R. R.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Lord of the Rings (Prequel, Annotated)

Is an expanded version of

I cannot imagine a pleasanter old age than one spent in the not too remote country where I could reread and annotate my favorite books. - ANDRE MAUROIS
What we read with pleasure we read again with pleasure. - HORACE
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This is The Annotated Hobbit, which has additional material as well as the contents of the original book; they should not be combined.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,933,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible