Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

Pinocchio (1883)

by Carlo Collodi

3,760891,385 (3.67)1 / 63

English (78)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (89)
All of these QED "Classic Collection" books are wonderful, modern adaptations. The illustrations are engaging and the language is clear and exciting for early readers.. ( )
  Hae-Yu | May 3, 2015 |
I read this with my Vintage Book Circle book group. I was glad that I did, but I would not want to read it again. We had a lively discussion. It is interesting to see how Walt Disney sweetened the story. I almost put it down after the first chapter. We learned that it was first published as a serial in a periodical. This explained the choppiness and the repetition and the short chapters. I found it frustrating that Pinocchio took so long to learn. I wondered how anyone could trust him at the end. ( )
  njcur | Mar 28, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I enjoyed the description used throughout the chapters however in the beginning of the book some details seemed too straight forward. Depending on the student's maturity level and ability to handle such concepts as death and greed this book could be tough for some readers. Although the ending is a pleasant one with Pinocchio and his father being reunited once more, the many adventures Pinocchio endures are scary at times. In addition there is a scene depicted in the text describing the burning off of Pinocchio's feet, the attempted murder of a marionette because of lack of obedience, and the trickery of the fox and cat. These scenes show some very cruel aspects of the world we live in although not many readers would pick up on this at first glance. Overall the message of this story is to follow your inner voice when deciding to do something which may be good or bad. In the end telling the truth is the best policy even if feelings get hurt. ( )
  anunez1 | Mar 5, 2015 |
I read this aloud to my girls and we all loved it! A great book with so many great lessons. :) Much better than the movie. Like usual. ;) ( )
  redhedcatie | Feb 25, 2015 |
First published in 1883, Pinocchio has earned its place as one of the most beloved fables of all time. Lavishly illustrated by talented children's book artist Gris Grimly, this delightful new edition of Pinocchio contains every word of Collodi’s original. Pinocchio is the perfect gift for children of all ages. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |

Murray, Mary AliceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tassinari, G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, RebeccaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zipes, JackIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was...

'A King!' my young readers will instantly exclaim.

No, children, that's where you are wrong. Once upon a time there was a piece of wood.
There once was a piece of wood, lying in the carpenter shop of Master Antonio. Master Antonio decided to make a table leg out of the wood, but to his surprise, when he struck it, the wood cried out. (The Adventures of Pinocchio 2003, illustrated by: Greg Hildebrandt)
AR 5.3, Pts 6.0

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014036708X, Paperback)

The old wood-carver Geppetto decides to make a wonderful puppet which can dance and turn somersaults, but by chance he chooses an unusual piece of wood - and the finished puppet can talk and misbehave like the liveliest child. But Pinocchio is brave and inquisitive as well as naughty, and after some hair-raising adventures, he earns his heart's desire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:20 -0400)

-Presents the adventures of Pinocchio, a mischievous wooden puppet, who wants more than anything else to become a real boy.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014036708X, 0142437069, 014133164X

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590172892, 1590175883

The New York Review Children's Collection

An edition of this book was published by The New York Review Children's Collection.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible