dismiss

Adventures of Pinocchio, The [Ilustrated…

Adventures of Pinocchio, The [Ilustrated with Interactive Elements] (original 1883; edition 2020)

by Carlo Collodi (Author)

5,8811141,211 (3.69)1 / 91
Pinocchio, a wooden puppet full of tricks and mischief, with a talent for getting into and out of trouble, wants more than anything else to become a real boy.
Member:malinablue
Title:Adventures of Pinocchio, The [Ilustrated with Interactive Elements]
Authors:Carlo Collodi (Author)
Info:Harper Design (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 288 pages

Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (1883)

English (97)  Italian (6)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (112)
Novel yang cocok untuk anak-anak, banyak pelajaran moral.

1.. Tiba-tiba Pinocchio bisa membaca

"I leave you to imagine the puppet's feelingsvwhen he had difficulty spelt out this epitaph "

2. Tiba-tiba Pinocchio sudah meninggalakan rumah lebih dari 3 bulan lebih * waktu benar-benar berlalu dengan cepat*

Large Pigeon, "He was building a little boat for himself, to cross the ocean. For more than three months that poor man has bern going all around the world looking for you. Not having succeeded in finding you he has now taken into his head to go to the distant countries of the new world in search for you."

3. Tiba-tiba Pinocchio tidak suka sekolah, padahal sebelumnya dia ingin sekali bersekolah. Lucunya dia belum sekalipun pergi ke sekolah.

Fairy, "Good boys go willingly to school......"
Pinocchio, "And school gives me pain all over my body. But from today I will change my life."
  Titut | Feb 10, 2020 |
Pinocchio was never a childhood favorite of mine as far as Disney movies are concerned. As a small kid, it gave me a good case of the creeps. I thought I would read through it again as an adult and see if there were differences between the classic movie and the original tale. While there were, they were quite subtle and I felt the overall feel of the book was very similar. I wasn't disturbed by the doll coming to life aspect of the novel, but rather by how quickly Pinocchio is led astray by evil. It still left me with a feeling of dread and apprehension and won't go on my list of children's classics that I love and cherish. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
This Pinocchio is much darker than Disney's version. Pinocchio is much less attractive at the start -- clearly self-centered, unthinking and dumb. It is fascinating to watch the transformation from irresponsibility to responsibility. Along the way, Pinocchio loses his money, believes he has contributed to killing a playmate, betrays the blue fairy's trust, lies, etc. My sister said she has read a C.S. Lewis commentary on Pinocchio which claims the story is a metaphor for the creation of man and his attempt to be good. I think that probably there is also an allegory about Italian nationalism there too that I could understand if I knew more about the subject. There is a new scholarly edition of the text in English, annotated by an Italian professor from the University of California.

Both children loved the story and actually thought about how their behavior compared with Pinocchio's (mostly favorably, thank goodness). We discussed whether Pinocchio deserved what he got or not in each instance. They felt that the ending happened too quickly -- that it wasn't paced right. Perhaps this was a consequence of the original serial presentation. The kids also enjoyed figuring out when Pinocchio was being tricked and being wiser than he was. ( )
  aprille | Dec 14, 2019 |
The Disney Movie, Pinocchio, was my first exposure to the character and the story when I was a child. It terrified me. I acquired this edition in Florence some years back and hadn't read it until now. To put it mildly, it makes the Disney version look like Toy Story. Granted, it is well-written (even in translation) and beautifully illustrated. And I do appreciate its allegorical themes and hero's quest motifs. That being said, Pinocchio kills the cricket (aka Jiminy in my childhood memory) with a hammer; the marioneteer wants to burn him alive; Pinocchio falls asleep by the fire and burns his feet off; the fox and the cat hang him from a tree to die. Bad boys turning into Donkeys is hardly the worst of it.

Seriously, I think it is one of the best (still terrifying) examples of episodic literature ever written,
with timeless characters and a strong moral compass. I am sorry I waited so long to read this version, and I plan to seek out others. ( )
  hamlet61 | Aug 23, 2019 |
3.5 ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
What del Toro, who has spoken of a lifelong fascination with Pinocchio, doubtless recognizes, and what Garrone as a cultured Italian would not need to be told, is that the original story is a work of considerable complexity, comparable to “Alice in Wonderland” or “Gulliver’s Travels” and much darker than Disney’s cheery fable about the price of youthful mendacity.... The moral of the story, then, is not that children should always tell the truth, but that education is paramount, enabling both liberation from a life of brutal toil, and, more important, self-awareness and a sense of duty to others. The true message of “The Adventures” is that, until you open yourself to knowledge and your fellow human beings, you will remain a puppet forever — other people will continue to pull your strings. And what, in these increasingly authoritarian times, could be more ardently relevant than that?

Collodi, Carloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tassinari, G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tempesti, FernandoIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, RebeccaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zipes, JackIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was...

'A King!' my young readers will instantly exclaim.

No, children, that's where you are wrong. Once upon a time there was a piece of wood.
There once was a piece of wood, lying in the carpenter shop of Master Antonio. Master Antonio decided to make a table leg out of the wood, but to his surprise, when he struck it, the wood cried out. (The Adventures of Pinocchio 2003, illustrated by: Greg Hildebrandt)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlo Collodi's book Pinocchio was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014036708X, 0142437069, 014133164X

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590172892, 1590175883

The New York Review Children's Collection

An edition of this book was published by The New York Review Children's Collection.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101085, 1400108853

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190943843X, 1909438448

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,598,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible