Long Tail, The, Revised and Updated Edition:…

Long Tail, The, Revised and Updated Edition: Why the Future of Business is… (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Chris Anderson

3,194851,744 (3.87)17
Member:rayallen83
Title:Long Tail, The, Revised and Updated Edition: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More
Authors:Chris Anderson
Info:Hyperion (2008), Edition: Rev Upd, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson (2006)

Recently added byecpenguin, lottpoet, Grouve, ronchan, SDALibrary, carrapatoso, private library, DavidKipp, ColleenRuttan
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (73)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  English (1)  English (85)
3 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
the story of digital disruption, what you missed and why you missed it ... ( )
  Brumby18 | Aug 20, 2016 |
The Long Tail, as a concept, is one of those fundamental world forces that I barely begin to understand. Here's a stab at a concise definition of the concept, from Clay Shirky in 2003:

"For my part, when I used the term in "Powerlaws, Weblogs, and Inequality", I didn't think of it as a coinage at all -- linear distributions have heads and tails and the weblog tail is long and flat....Chris and I and lots of other people use the phrase to describe a particular kind of distribution, but Chris has taken it in the direction of Tipping Point, a phrase that conjures up a whole complex of related issues, particularly issues of the business aspects of media and culture, that I didn't. So from my pov, Chris should get credit for originality, not of the phrase but of its current application and vividness."

The Long Tail of technology's effect on consumer entertainment is a particularly interesting problem as it relates to the book industry. I've got more to post here, but time and shallow understanding constrain my typing fingers. I'll return later with more (to write). ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
shelved at: (Y) : Economics
  PeterKent2015 | Feb 14, 2016 |
shelved at: (Y) : Economics
  mwbooks | Jan 22, 2016 |

The real novelty of Anderson’s book is not his thesis but its representation in the form of a neat, readily graspable picture: the long-tail curve. For decades, economists and scientists have been using this graph, which is formally known as a power-law distribution, to describe things like the distribution of wealth or the relative size of cities. By applying the long tail to the online world, Anderson brings intellectual order to what often looks like pointless activity.
added by mikeg2 | editThe New Yorker, John Cassidy (Jul 10, 2006)

Anne

Examines how technology has changed the face of the marketplace, offering an abundance of variety to consumers who want more of a choice, and can get it because of the commercial viability of distribution, manufacturing, and marketing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,613,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible