Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov
9,04889511 (4)1 / 142

English (75)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (88)
I believe the entire Foundation story is more than the sum of its parts. Since I started with the Robots series, I have huge expectations going forward. It was clear early on that Asimov got better as he got older. Since these were written REALLY early in his career, they're not quite as good. Characters are a bit loose, and I often feel like I'm playing catchup.

That being said - really enjoyed this book. The whole concept of the two Foundations, Hari Seldon's Plan, the Mule, the psychological/physical war between space civilizations is absolutely compelling and exciting to read. It's easy to put yourself thousands of years in the future. I loved Arkady's story, although I still feel the whole book was disjointed as it was basically two short stories mushed together. Still, fantastic stuff and another great ending. The location of the Second Foundation definitely surprised me but, as always, made sense in the world Asimov's created. ( )
1 vote hskey | Oct 12, 2018 |
Where history concerns mainly personalities, the drawings become either black or white according to the interests of the writer.

Like many of the Sci-fi Godfathers, Asimov writes grand, breathtaking stories with delightful simplicity. For the whole trilogy, I’d give it 4 stars. The part that confuses me though, is for the second time in the trilogy, I can’t give this individual book more than 3.

There are considerable spans of times between the books. This leaves the only consistent character to be the myth, Hari Seldon, whom you’ve never met. The characters we do meet and know, though enjoyable, are not very relatable or complex. They’re all small parts in the grand picture that Asimov is building. That picture that hooked me.

There are two fundamental parts to his exploration. The first is the power of the will and the purpose of human agency within the massive ebbs and flows of humanity. The second is the exploration of the role and power of religion. When there is something that seems so big, so inescapable, what power do you have to escape it? To stop it? Is it the mere belief that you are on the side of some bigger truth that tips the balance from defeat to victory? Does that belief make it real? ( )
  Mattmcmanus | Aug 23, 2018 |
I liked this book much better than the last one. I was initially disappointed that the Mule's story ended so quickly, but he second story was just as good. It was a little slow at times, but I enjoyed the mystery of where is the Second Foundation. And it's so nice to now actually know. When Arcadia went to Trantor, I thought I knew where the Second Foundation was but I didn't believe it and so I was still guessing all the way to the end. I'm now torn though. Part of me wants to keep reading to see how it continues but part of me is sick of these short stories where it's a chore for me to get through them. I'm just not a big fan of short stories. I like having the entire book to get to know the characters and follow the plot. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
This is the final novel of Asimov's original Foundation trilogy, and the individual novellas of which were first published at the end of the 1940s and in book form in the 1950s - where the series ended until the author returned to it in the early 1980s. Like Foundation and Empire, it is a book of two parts, with the first third concerning the Mule's unsuccessful attempt to locate the Second Foundation. As one of the most interesting and memorable characters in the saga, it is a pity we see no more of him after this. The bulk of the book concerns the attempts by scientists of the first Foundation on Terminus to locate their counterpart, set up by Seldon "at the other end of the Galaxy" hundreds of years before. This also features only the second proper female character in the trilogy, Arkady Darrell, a precociously intelligent 14 year old and the granddaughter of Bayta Darrell, who defeated the Mule at the end of the second book. But I don't think the narrative drive of this section works as well as in that book, so overall this novel is not quite as enjoyable as its predecessors. ( )
  john257hopper | May 27, 2018 |
Started well but got a bit snarled up in the 'found the 2nd Foundation game'. It's interesting how it has dated - referencing TV and videos - but most of all the transcriber, voice recorded straight to writing on paper and you have to start again if you make a mistake! What jarred the most was the casual import and export of wood and potatoes around the galaxy. Published 1953 and hugely influential, and still readable. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |

Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Marcia, John, and Stan
To the memory of John W. Campbell, Jr.
(1910-1971)
Prologue:
The First Galactic Empire had endured for tens of thousands of years.
Headnote:
THE MULE It was after the fall of the First Foundation that the constructive aspects of the Mule's regime took shape.
Text:
There is much more that the Encyclopedia has to say on the subject of the Mule and his Empire but almost all of it is not germane to the issue at immediate hand, and most of it is considerably too dry for our purposes in any case.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels are one of the great masterworks of science fiction. As unsurpassed blend of nonstop action, daring ideas, and extensive world-building, they chronicle the struggle of a courageous group of men and women dedicated to preserving humanity's light in a galaxy plunged into a nightmare of ignorance and violence thirty thousand years long.

After years of struggle, the Foundation lies in ruins—destroyed by the mutant mind power of the Mule. But it is rumored that there is a Second Foundation hidden somewhere at the end of the Galaxy, established to preserve the knowledge of mankind through the long centuries of barbarism. The Mule failed to find it the first time—but now he is certain he knows where it lies.

The fate of the Foundation rests on young Arcadia Darell, only fourteen years old and burdened with a terrible secret. As its scientists gird for a final showdown with the Mule, the survivors of the First Foundation begin their desperate search. They too want the Second Foundation destroyed…before it destroys them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

The Second Foundation meets the threat of a perilous mutant, only to face the challenge of the corrupt First Foundation for control of the galatic empire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,862,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible