Anastasia Absolutely by Lois Lowry

Anastasia Absolutely

by Lois Lowry

Less cute than its predecessors, more contrived. Still amusing but teetering on the edge. I'm glad this is the last one, and I'm not sure about reading the Sam wing of the series. Opinions? Wendy says yes, how about the rest of my kidlit coterie? ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
A book that mad me laugh out loud, very clever and well written. Not sure if all chldren reading this will get all the humor but for a children's book I was a bit surprised of how much I did enjoy this book. I think the book does portray the realities of today's children, Anastasia makes a mistake while she is walking her dog, she realizes that she must do the right thing of turning herself in, even if she may get into some serious trouble. The setting is modern, I believe in Massachusetts, her father is a professor for Harvard, very modern feel to the story. Controversial issue do arise, Anastasia has a Values class and she is asked many difficult questions such as will you give away one day in your life to save a baby even though the baby will be a criminal, questions dealing with ethics and morals but nothing dealing with language, drugs, or sex. There is stereotyping another story dealing with a dog. I believe the thought process of Anastasia when she is contemplating whether to or whether not too tell anyone about her horrible mishap.
Funny and entertaining with a good story about doing what is right, with a happy ending.
Ages 8 - 11 ..... ( )
  fatlamb | Nov 18, 2011 |
Lowry returns to form with in the final book in her Anastasia series. Anastasia gets a dog and mistakenly puts it's.. um... droppings in a mailbox instead of the letter she intended to mail. She feels guilty, of course, and struggles with whether to call the post office to confess. At the same time, she is taking a course in "Values' and wrestles with questions like, "If you could shave one day off the end of your life and by doing so save the life of a baby in China, would you?" Anastasia has always had an interesting perspective, and these questions really highlight that as well as induce young readers to think about what they would do in the same situation. As always, the Krupnik family are wildly entertaining as well as realistic secondary characters. I am very pleased by how this series ended up. ( )
  EmScape | Feb 1, 2010 |
Obviously, since my name is Anastasia, I love these books. (Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic. I really do love them!) Some of them are better than others, but just having my name be a character's name who isn't a Russian princess is enough to keep me coming back to them even now. I haven't read an Anastasia book in a while (and I've never read this one), so this was a nice treat.

It's a short book, but there's a few interesting things in it. Anastasia's matured! Well, a little. I liked that she eventually worked out what to do with help from her parents and teacher-- and herself. She's got more friends now, too, and I thought it very admirable that she was so nice to her younger brother, Sam. She even played with him multiple times without getting annoyed-- more than I ever did with my own brother, ha. The situation she gets herself into is extremely amusing but it's not over-the-top.

There wasn't as much of her parents in here, which was a shame. I like them a lot! They're quite adorable, and I loved them in Anastasia Krupnik. Oh well.

If you're in need of a funny book with cute characters and a plot with a moral (and a tidy solution), then check out the Anastasia books. (And I'm not just talking them up because of my name!) ( )
  herebebooks | Mar 7, 2009 |

The trouble begins when Anastasia goes to the mailbox with two packages and her new dog, Sleuth. It's there that she accidentally puts the bag of dog droppings into the mailbox instead of her mother's package. When she realizes her mistake, Anastasia uses her school Values Class experience to help her decide what to do. But when the police take the corner mailbox, Anastasia's sure she's committed a crime that will land her in jail.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:57 -0400)

More adventures of thirteen-year-old Anastasia Krupnik as she tries to deal with a new dog, her school values class, and a personal moral dilemma.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible