Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray…

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1963)

by Ray Bradbury

Series: Green Town (3)

8,303225613 (3.97)4 / 479

English (222)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (225)
Wow, well, I wasn't so sure I was going to be giving this a great review. There is some fabulous writing to be sure. Lines that you just want to linger over and read again. I thought that maybe you needed to be (or have been) a 13 year old boy to really "get it"...then, about 2/3 of the way through, yeah, totally grabbed me. That last 100 pages went fast! There were tears in my eyes at the end, by the carousel. If it hadn't taken me so long to get grabbed, this would have been a 5 star read.

Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
I really, really enjoyed this book but I didn't expect to. Happy surprise! Some of my friends who read it were put off by Bradbury's style with words, but I loved his way with words... I enjoyed the tug of good and evil, or is that life and death? And I was happily surprised by the "magic bullet" this corrected a bad situation. I recommend it! ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
I really struggled to finish listening to the audio version of Something Wicked This Way Comes. This is the second Bradbury book I really wanted to like and the basic plot was innovative but I dislike his purple prose style. This is one of the few examples I can think of where the movie is better than the novel. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
Ray Bradbury’s 1962 novel, Something Wicked This Way Comes focuses on Jim Nightshade and William Halloway and the nightmare carnival of Mr. Dark that comes to town and feeds on the townspeople’s secret desires and fears. The story plays upon all the magic and mystery of childhood, inhabiting a world you don’t quite understand and where both understanding and wonder can be found at the library. Bradbury also focuses extensively upon duality, with the potential for goodness finding its opposite in the potential for bad. In this way, Will’s father acts as the counter to Mr. Dark. After Bradbury’s death in 2012, Neil Gaiman described his writing, “A Ray Bradbury story meant something on its own – it told you nothing about what the story would be about, but it told you about atmosphere, about language, about some sort of magic escaping into the world.” That perfectly describes Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is about two boys and a carnival, but also so much more and uses language to convey meaning in a way few have done since (with the exception of Gaiman, whose work seems the natural successor to Bradbury for our time). This Folio Society edition includes and introduction from Frank Skinner, inviting the reader to pay close attention to Bradbury’s use of language, and illustrations from Tim McDonagh that vividly capture the manic tone of the world Bradbury describes. A great edition of a classic novel. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Mar 17, 2019 |
Over fifty years later and people are still trying to match this book. I grew up in a small town in America, and had a childhood very unlike the one Will and Jim were enjoying before it was interrupted, but Bradbury writes in such a way that his nostalgia becomes your own. I felt it. The narration feels like a fairy tale, this is a book that does well aloud.

I meant to re-read this for Halloween, but I didn't get to it until the turkey was gone. 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' is about childhood, and growing up, and what fear can drive people to do to each other and themselves. It is the stuff of a million novels, but Bradbury makes it work with his fantastic elements, the carnival-as-explicit-metaphor, and the acknowledgement that the character's lives cannot go back to the way things were. ( )
3 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Mar 13, 2019 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
康雄, 大久保Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wölfl, NorbertÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man is in love, and loves what vanishes.
W.B. Yeats

They sleep not, except they have done mischief;
And their sleep is taken away,
  unless they cause some to fall.
For they eat the bread of wickedness,
And they drink the wine of violence.
Proverbs 4:16-17

I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.
Stubb in Moby Dick
With gratitude to
Jennet Johnson
who taught me how to write the short story
and to
Snow Longley Housh
who taught me poetry at Los Angeles High School a long time ago
and to
Jack Guss
who helped with this novel not so long ago
With love to the memory of GENE KELLY, whose performances influenced and changed my life
Prologue
First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys.
The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.
Why love the woman who is your wife? Her nose breathes in the air of a world that I know; therefore I love that nose. Her ears hear music I might sing half the night through; therefore I love her ears. Her eyes delight in seasons of the land; and so I love those eyes. Her tongue knows quince, peach, chokeberry, mint and lime; I love to hear it speaking. Because her flesh knows heat, cold, affliction, I know fire, snow, and pain. Shared and once again shared experience. Billions of prickling textures. Cut one sense away, cut part of life away. Cut two senses; life halves itself on the instant. We love what we know, we love what we are. Common cause, common cause, of mouth, eye, ear, tongue, hand, nose, flesh, heart, and soul.
"Sometimes the man who looks happiest in town, with the biggest smile, is the one carrying the biggest load of sin. There are smiles and smiles; learn to tell the dark variety from the light. The seal-barker, laugh-shouter, half the time he's covering up. He's had his fun and he's guilty. And men do love sin. Will, oh how they love it, never doubt, in all shapes, sizes, colors, and smells. Times come when troughs, not tables, suit our appetites. Hear a man too loudly praising others and look to wonder if he didn't just get up from the sty. On the other hand, that unhappy, pale, put-upon man walking by, who looks all guilt and sin, why, often that's your good man with a capitol G, Will. For being good is a fearful occupation; men strain at it and sometimes break in two. I've known a few. You work twice as hard to be a farmer as his to be his hog. I suppose it's thinking about being good that makes the crack run up the wall one night. A man with high standards, too, the least hair falls on him sometimes wilts his spine. He can't let himself alone, won't lift himself off the hook if he falls just a breath from grace."
And, Will thought, here comes the carnival, Death like a rattle in one hand, Life like candy in the other; shake one to scare you, offer one to make your mouth water. Here comes the side show, both hands full!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380729407, Mass Market Paperback)

A masterpiece of modern Gothic literature, Something Wicked This Way Comes is the memorable story of two boys, James Nightshade and William Halloway, and the evil that grips their small Midwestern town with the arrival of a "dark carnival" one Autumn midnight. How these two innocents, both age 13, save the souls of the town (as well as their own), makes for compelling reading on timeless themes. What would you do if your secret wishes could be granted by the mysterious ringmaster Mr. Dark? Bradbury excels in revealing the dark side that exists in us all, teaching us ultimately to celebrate the shadows rather than fear them. In many ways, this is a companion piece to his joyful, nostalgia-drenched Dandelion Wine, in which Bradbury presented us with one perfect summer as seen through the eyes of a 12-year-old. In Something Wicked This Way Comes, he deftly explores the fearsome delights of one perfectly terrifying, unforgettable autumn. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:18 -0400)

A strange carnival brings terror to the population of a small midwestern town.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible