Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray…

Something Wicked This Way Comes (original 1963; edition 1999)

by Ray Bradbury

7,262192490 (3.97)4 / 428
Title:Something Wicked This Way Comes
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Harper Voyager (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (1963)

Recently added bymskahoward, snj5064, nsenger, cushion, librarypimpin, LitaVore, SMcGonegal, PixieD, private library
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner, Karen Blixen

English (190)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (192)
Took me forever to read this. It's pretty good, though I think he worked better in short stories. This edition is signed by everybody BUT him, and contains the seminal short story. I'm not sure it was worth what I paid for it and how long I waited for it to finally come out. ( )
1 vote unclebob53703 | Aug 17, 2016 |
I won't lie this wasn't my favorite of Ray Bradbury's but it did hold some charm for me. It definitely reminded me of "The Halloween Tree" which I enjoyed, but it was a tad slow moving in places. A carnival comes to a small town and Jim Nightshade and his friend Will, realize that something isn't right with the carnival folks, something seems evil. While snooping on the carnival they get caught and fear for their lives, they must find a way to stop the carnies or lose their lives. Definitely creepy and wonderfully written. I must admit, I am looking forward to seeing how well the movie aligns with the book. ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Jul 18, 2016 |
A dark, mesmerizing coming of age tale about two boys and a father. The plot is scary, complex, and engrossing. The characters are winsome, dark, and powerful. And of course, love conquers all, and I can live with that as the moral of the story. This one could be nightmare inducing, but maybe not quite? Great read! ( )
1 vote hemlokgang | Jul 13, 2016 |
Absolutely stands alone, despite being set in Green Town, Illinois, setting of [b:Dandelion Wine|50033|Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)|Ray Bradbury|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1374049845s/50033.jpg|1627774] and others.

If the movie is well-done, it might be better, in some ways, for some readers, than the book. It's an awfully simple story, deep and resonant yes but ultimately simple, made into a full-length novel by the absolutely gorgeous language that is Bradbury's signature. A couple of relatively straight-forward examples:

A father waits for his son to come home one evening, ... holding a book but reading the empty spaces."

Describing villains: "The stuff of nightmares is their plain bread. They butter it with pain. They set their clocks by death-watch beetles and thrive the centuries."

If you love poetic, almost purple prose, by all means read this book - preferably now, or on Halloween. If you get impatient with literary stylings, try the movie and let me know if it's good." ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This wicked little book picked me up along side of the highway and took me for a wild ride.
I found the prose to be, once again, the most delicious of them all. Bradbury has a way of planting you right into his liquid poetry scenes.
I loved everything about this story, but most of all the scene between father and son sitting on the roof having a heart to heart.
There are hidden gems scattered through out this story, I am so happy I read this during the beginning of fall season.
The villians were terrifying but in a delightful sort of way. If I could just jump inside this book and live forever I would be so happy. ( )
1 vote XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
康雄, 大久保Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man is in love, and loves what vanishes.
W.B. Yeats

They sleep not, except they have done mischief;
And their sleep is taken away,
  unless they cause some to fall.
For they eat the bread of wickedness,
And they drink the wine of violence.
Proverbs 4:16-17

I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.
Stubb in Moby Dick
With gratitude to
Jennet Johnson
who taught me how to write the short story
and to
Snow Longley Housh
who taught me poetry at Los Angeles High School a long time ago
and to
Jack Guss
who helped with this novel not so long ago
With love to the memory of GENE KELLY, whose performances influenced and changed my life
First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys.
The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.
Why love the woman who is your wife? Her nose breathes in the air of a world that I know; therefore I love that nose. Her ears hear music I might sing half the night through; therefore I love her ears. Her eyes delight in seasons of the land; and so I love those eyes. Her tongue knows quince, peach, chokeberry, mint and lime; I love to hear it speaking. Because her flesh knows heat, cold, affliction, I know fire, snow, and pain. Shared and once again shared experience. Billions of prickling textures. Cut one sense away, cut part of life away. Cut two senses; life halves itself on the instant. We love what we know, we love what we are. Common cause, common cause, of mouth, eye, ear, tongue, hand, nose, flesh, heart, and soul.
"Sometimes the man who looks happiest in town, with the biggest smile, is the one carrying the biggest load of sin. There are smiles and smiles; learn to tell the dark variety from the light. The seal-barker, laugh-shouter, half the time he's covering up. He's had his fun and he's guilty. And men do love sin. Will, oh how they love it, never doubt, in all shapes, sizes, colors, and smells. Times come when troughs, not tables, suit our appetites. Hear a man too loudly praising others and look to wonder if he didn't just get up from the sty. On the other hand, that unhappy, pale, put-upon man walking by, who looks all guilt and sin, why, often that's your good man with a capitol G, Will. For being good is a fearful occupation; men strain at it and sometimes break in two. I've known a few. You work twice as hard to be a farmer as his to be his hog. I suppose it's thinking about being good that makes the crack run up the wall one night. A man with high standards, too, the least hair falls on him sometimes wilts his spine. He can't let himself alone, won't lift himself off the hook if he falls just a breath from grace."
And, Will thought, here comes the carnival, Death like a rattle in one hand, Life like candy in the other; shake one to scare you, offer one to make your mouth water. Here comes the side show, both hands full!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380729407, Mass Market Paperback)

A masterpiece of modern Gothic literature, Something Wicked This Way Comes is the memorable story of two boys, James Nightshade and William Halloway, and the evil that grips their small Midwestern town with the arrival of a "dark carnival" one Autumn midnight. How these two innocents, both age 13, save the souls of the town (as well as their own), makes for compelling reading on timeless themes. What would you do if your secret wishes could be granted by the mysterious ringmaster Mr. Dark? Bradbury excels in revealing the dark side that exists in us all, teaching us ultimately to celebrate the shadows rather than fear them. In many ways, this is a companion piece to his joyful, nostalgia-drenched Dandelion Wine, in which Bradbury presented us with one perfect summer as seen through the eyes of a 12-year-old. In Something Wicked This Way Comes, he deftly explores the fearsome delights of one perfectly terrifying, unforgettable autumn. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:18 -0400)

Ray Bradbury's classic tale of a mysterious carnival arriving in a small town.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,747,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible