Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz

Quo Vadis (1896)

by Henryk Sienkiewicz

English (33)  French (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (38)
This is an amazing fictional history of Rome during the time of Nero, a love story between a Roman patrician and a Lygerian hostage, and the story of the rise of and persecution of the Christian church. The story brings to wonderful life the beauty and excess of the lives of wealthy Romans, their bone-deep belief that they are superior to all people, and the precariousness of life under the mad despot Nero. In contrast, the work of Peter the Apostle and Paul of Tarsus are building the Christian church and giving people something bigger to believe in and a faith that sustains. In the midst of these vastly different life views the book features the love story of Vinicius, the quintessential Roman citizen, and the pure heart of Lygeria, the daughter of a barbarian king.

I've never been particularly interested in the history of the Roman Empire and read this at the suggestion of another Shelfarian. The book was difficult in the beginning because of the use of so many Latin words and a wide cast of characters; but it wasn't long before the story drew me in completely and soon I couldn't put it down. I was pulled along as if reading a great suspense novel. This, to me, is a prime example of the benefits of expanding one's reading horizons. While the story has a strong Christian bent, I believe it would be worthwhile reading for anyone. ( )
1 vote LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
This is so sad.

I read the book in High School, and I think I liked it at the time. It's been over 50 years since I graduated HS, and I guess my tastes have changed.

Well, it seems my husband is enjoying the book. Still not my style.

I read the first 10 chapters and I just couldn't take it any more. The turgid descriptions, the glacial torpor of the action, and the prose that was just plain leaden.

sigh

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
BIBLIOTECA CLASICA SOPENA. 43
  beatriza | Dec 10, 2016 |
Engaging story of love and life under Nero. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
An interesting look at early Christianity and Rome during Nero's reign. ( )
  Lynsey2 | Jan 15, 2016 |

Palm, Johan M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pyttersen, H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvio, MailaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zamenhof, LidjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petronius woke only about midday, and as usual greatly wearied.

Translated by Stanley F Conrad. Set around the dawn of Christianity with amazing historical accuracy Quo Vadis? won Sienkiewicz the Nobel Prize. Written nearly a century ago and translated into over 40 languages, Quo Vadis, has been the greatest best-selling novel in the history of literature. Now in a sparkling new translation which restores the original glory and splendour of this masterpiece, W S Kuniczak, the most acclaimed translator of Sienkiewicz in this century, combines his special knowledge of Sienkiewicz's fiction with his own considerable talents as a novelist. An epic saga of love, courage and devotion in Nero's time, Quo Vadis portrays the degenerate days leading to the fall of the Roman Empire and the glory and the agony of early Christianity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:45 -0400)

'Quo Vadis' is the tale of a Roman general in Nero's army in the first century AD, who risks everything when he falls in love with a Christian woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible