Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson

Rabbit Hill (1944)

by Robert Lawson

Series: Rabbit Hill (1)

Recently added byprivate library, BobbieGlick, CathyU, PrissEureste, RSRwanda, law0715, bethsco, SoaringBear

English (39)  Finnish (1)  All languages (40)
Cute little story, with animals slightly less anthropomorphized than Fantastic Mr. Fox. It's actually a nice mix of actual animal behavior and humanized behavior. The dealings with the New Folks are...a bit too sweet for me, There Is Enough For All...yeah, no. That's the way the animals are the most anthropomorphized, their emotions and reactions to the human behavior. Plus the clever tricks to deal with the food chain - the fox only likes chickens, who apparently aren't people (though even that is dealt with). Little Georgie is cute, but I don't see why they kept his survival such a secret if they think the animals are capable of understanding. Anyway, fun to read, not worth rereading for me. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 27, 2018 |
All of the small animals on the hill are excited at the prospect of “new folks coming,” but what will the new arrivals be like? Planters, or lazy, shiftless sorts? Will they have dogs? Guns? Traps? Anticipation mounts as move-in day draws near.

This is a pleasant, old-fashioned story. There’s not a whole lot to it, but kids who like gentle animal stories without all that “red in tooth and claw” stuff might still enjoy this. I probably would have, at the age of seven or eight. Recommended for timid children and nostalgic grown-ups. ( )
  foggidawn | Nov 1, 2017 |
This story is about a small animal community called Rabbit Hill. Each member of the community more or less resembles a different type of human being. Each possesses a different type of temperment that is found in society: the timid, the overbearing, the gossiper, the hard worker, the irresponsible, the sponger, and the lazy one are all her Each situation in the story could be interpreted in the light of an actual situation in the human community.
The animals are concerned about the problems that will arise because of the New Folks moving into the Big House. Both the family and the animals finally learn to live in harmony after the innocent suffer for the irrresponsible acts of others. The folks in the Big House share the harvest from their garden and the animals on Rabbit Hill leave a portion of the garden for the use of the family exclusively. Both share mutually in the good things. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 22, 2017 |
Rabbit Hill is a story about Rabbits on a hill that are excited about the new folks that re moving in only to find out they are not who they think they are. The animals in this book understand humans and their way of life. This a cute story that I think children will enjoy.

I think this is a cute story for children to read. I do not think it is very deep and children will be able to understand it very well. The illustrations in this book are very good. I really enjoyed the art and I think the children will too.

In the classroom I would read this section by section as a group during reading time. We would take turn reading the story, and at the end of every chapter we will discuss as a group what we just read.
  Kirsten05 | Apr 23, 2017 |
Summary:

"Rabbit Hill" by Robert Lawson is about several different animals that lives on a hill, not far from a house. A family that once took care of the animals had moved. The house was empty for quiet some time which puts the animals in a predicament because there is no much food. Finally a family moves in but the animals are scared that the family will not take care of them, and will do harm. There was no need for the mother rabbit to worry because the new family takes great care of them.

Personal Reaction:

I love the story. It is great how the animals told the story in the way they saw it. The story talks about the good and the bad times which is great, because it shows children that everything is not always great and its not always terrible. I know that not everything is going to be perfect, but even when it is bad, it can always get better.

Classroom Extension:

1. Have the students write down a time when they had a rough time and how they got through it.

2. Have the students pick out their favorite animal in the book, then color it.
  makayladawn | Nov 21, 2016 |

Lawson, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sibrel, MelbaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For T. who loves Little Georgie
All the Hill was boiling with excitement.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014031010X, Paperback)

New folks are coming to live in the Big House. The animals of Rabbit Hill wonder if they will plant a garden and thus be good providers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,486,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible