Last Known Victim by Erica Spindler

From Amazon:

Captain Patti O'Shay, a by-the-books cop, is assigned to the case. But with the evidence lost to time and the elements, the heinous incident goes unsolved. The perpetrator, known only as "The Handyman," remains at large.

Two years later Patti is still haunted by her own personal tragedy—her husband and fellow police captain was murdered in the post-storm chaos. But when a female victim missing her right hand is unearthed, Patti prepares to return to The Handyman investigation. She is unprepared, however, for what she finds at the crime scene—the victim's bones beside her husband's police badge. Casting aside all the rules, Patti is fearless in her quest to find the truth…because if she isn't, she could become The Handyman's last known victim.

My Thoughts:

The book had a very good story line for the most part. There were some things that I thought was unreasonable...like all this family working under their Aunt Patti and her being allowed to investigate her husbands murder who had also worked in the police department with her. I just didn't find this believable but overall I would have to say it was a bit long but a worhwhile read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
from hpl, read 31/12/07-01/01/08

First book I've read by this author. ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
One would think based on the way thriller writers write about them that every fourth person in the United States is a serial killer. To say that this sub-genre is overdone would be a massive understatement. Most of the ones I have read are not very good, and Last Known Victim is worse than most. Set in New Orleans, post-Katrina, the serial killer du jour is known as The Handyman. If that’s not a generic serial killer name, then I don’t know what is. Unfortunately the author put as much imagination and inventiveness to the naming of the killer as the rest of the novel. Every weak trope that is used in this sub-genre can be found here to the unbelievably unrealistic nature of the killer. I won’t spoil it, but when I found out who the killer was, I wanted to wretch. The killer was so obvious and so stereotypical that it was almost like this author was spoofing serial killer novels. Unfortunately, this isn’t a spoof. It’s just a bad novel. I would suggest staying away.
Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
1 vote Carl_Alves | Feb 12, 2014 |
Another book I did not read during this month/year. What possessed me to read it I'm not sure except that i had nothing else on my personal shelf at home (that was unread) except this. Oh, and it was raining that day... I truly don't remember what my reaction was to the style of writing, as I don't actively try and guess who the evil person is. Hard as this may be to believe I actually don't care what happens, and that is why I rarely read mysteries. 2.5/5 just because that is exactly a 50% rating. ( )
1 vote lafon | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is the first Erica Spindler book that I have read. I found it was a fast paced book. It was an easy read and the author continued the suspense throughout the book. There were quite a few character to keep track of and I have a feeling if I had read previous books that the characters would have meant more to me. Overall this book has me interested in more Erica Spindler books as quick and entertaining reads. ( )
1 vote damejennylynn | Jan 9, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778325792, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

Captain Patti O'Shay, still grieving over the murder of her husband, is stunned when skeletal remains of a female victim, who is missing her right hand, are unearthed in City Park along with her husband's police badge, forcing her to reopen a cold case involving a dangerous killer known as "The Handyman."… (more)

Erica Spindler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,811,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible