Noah's Ark by Peter Spier

Noah's Ark (edition 1977)

by Peter Spier

Member:amyandroland
Title:Noah's Ark
Authors:Peter Spier
Info:Doubleday Books for Young Readers (1977), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 48 pages

Noah's Ark by Peter Spier

Summary: Noah's Ark has incredible illustrations of the ark and all of the animals on it as well as a poem that tells the story about the flood. Other than the poem there are no other words throughout the book. The illustrations are able to tell the story of Noah, his family, and the animals during their journey to find land. Noah took care of his animals and waited patiently for God to lead him to land so that he and his family could start over.

Personal Reaction: I enjoy reading about Noah's Ark. I am a firm believer in God and stories of the bible are always refreshing for me. I love how the book has such detailed illustrations of the animals and how Noah took care of them and his family while putting all of his trust in God.

Classroom Extension: The class could do an activity where they must think of as many animals as they can to write down or draw.
The students could use index cards to make up questions that go along with the story and the questions can be discussed after the story is read. ( )
  Kateburke23 | Sep 20, 2017 |
A seventeenth-century Dutch poem by Jacobus Revius is the inspiration for this gloriously detailed picture book, which earned a Caldecott Medal. Spier translated the poem which mentions
“Cow and moose,
Hare and goose,
Sheep and ox,
Bee and fox…”
The poem, itself, is on page 1, but the story really begins on the front inside cover and flyleaf, with a two-page panoramic spread that shows destruction of a village in the distance, while Noah and his family prosper on a hillside and the words “…But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.”

This is followed by two more “double truck” pictorial panoramas showing the construction of the ark, while a parade of villagers streams past, and the stacks of provisions ready to be loaded aboard, before the poem is printed.

The rest of the book is entirely pictorial. And these are wonderful illustrations! I poured over them, noticing the pairs of different animals, and marveling at the minute details he included. There are even pairs of spiders, scorpions, dodos and echidnas! The big cats are carefully crated before being loaded aboard the Ark. Mrs Noah is obviously unhappy about the mice and creepy-crawlies. The animals and people left behind are slowly engulfed by the rising waters, as is the landscape.

I especially liked how Spier showed the work involved in caring for this menagerie … feeding the animals, mucking out stalls, providing water. Noah and his family members are delighted when new chicks hatch, or puppies are born, but visibly tired and worn as time passes and the rains continue. By the time the dove returns with the olive branch the people and animals are all equally relieved that their ordeal will soon be over. The elephants are first off, followed by a parade of animals and people. The slow-pokes – turtles and snails are the last to depart. The final panoramic spread, composing the back inside cover, shows the miraculous rainbow, and Noah on a hillside “…and he planted a vineyard.”

What I particularly appreciate about this richly drawn book is that it will allow children to use their imaginations to tell the story of what is happening in each panel. I don’t have any little ones in my life, but I want to go out and buy this book so I can look at the pictures again and again to my heart’s content. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 14, 2017 |
Noah's Ark by Peter Spier was a Caldecott Medal Winner in 1978. This amazing picture book tells the historic tale from the Bible that many people learned about at a young age. This book shows the animal getting onto the Ark and the flood that destroyed the world. This is a tale that I grew up learning about in church as a young boy and this book made it simple and easy to see what was going on before I had learned to read. I have used this book to start teaching my children about the flood at a young age and allows the child's mind to recreate the story. An activity that you could do with a class is to make a list and see how many different animals that the children can name. Another activity would be to have them draw their own animals that they would see on the Ark. ( )
  chad.erickson | Feb 12, 2017 |
I loved this book. The pictures were so detailed that while looking through and trying to understand what's going on, you really feel like the pictures come to life and you're in the book. It was easy to understand the theme and plot of the book.
  Chelsea07127 | Sep 8, 2016 |
This book has great illustrations that tell a story without using words. At times, the pictures keep you so captive, you forget the book does not have words. Although each page only contains imaginary, it still engages the reader and allows each reader to create their own interpretation of the story. An example would be near the middle of the story when the illustrations show a picture of all the animals Noah is putting on the boat. Students may wonder, "Is going to put all the animals on the boat, or how is he going to fit them all?"
  tsmugz | Sep 8, 2016 |

Peter Spierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Revius, JacobDichtersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

"Noah's Ark" is a religious and faith based story that will help children gain a better understanding on God and His great phenomenons. God informs the diligent man, Noah, about a severe flood that will wash out all the animals and all the lands. He tells Noah to build a great ark and save every type of animal found in the world, yet only one female and one male from each--no more. When Moses tries to inform his town about the terrible storm that is about to commence, they refuse to believe him. Does Moses build a ark big and strong enough to protect not only him, but the animals as well? Read and find out!

The bee and the fox, the sheep and the ox--two of each kind trudged aboard Noah's famous vessel. Peter Spier uses his own translation of a seventeenth-century Dutch poem about this most famous menagerie.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:02 -0400)

Retells in pictures how a pair of every manner of creature climbed on board Noah's ark and thereby survived the Flood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,500,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible